Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
I too have re-ignited my love for film.
I worked for Kodak for many years, so, obviously very biased towards Kodak film.
Still made on the machines that i worked on. So, if you go that route, know that I had my hands on it!

As for the gear, I shoot the K1000 + ME Super, and lately have been using the Leica R4 and R4s.
Sounds intriguing! In what capacity did you work on those machines?

06-26-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Sounds intriguing! In what capacity did you work on those machines?

I started out as an engineering co-op in the Mfg Engineering and Maintenance Organization in the Film Sensitizing Division. This is where the photosensitive gelatin emulsion was applied to the film base (estar or acetate). Spent a 1.5 years there.

I was then hired full time as an electrical engineer in the Advanced Technology Organization (later Mfg Research & Engineering). Our organization designed the automated machines that fabricated film and paper. We called them machines, but these were multi-story buildings. Film manufacturing, especially, requires extremely costly facilities, which is why there were only a few around the world.

The newest film sensitizing facility started production in the late 80s/ early 90s. I suspect it’s where today’s film comes from.

Fabulous company to work for, ahead of its time. Miss it to this day.

Shame it did not survive the digital revolution, which, ironically, it help start by developing the first digital camera.

06-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
I started out as an engineering co-op in the Mfg Engineering and Maintenance Organization in the Film Sensitizing Division. This is where the photosensitive gelatin emulsion was applied to the film base (estar or acetate). Spent a 1.5 years there.

I was then hired full time as an electrical engineer in the Advanced Technology Organization (later Mfg Research & Engineering). Our organization designed the automated machines that fabricated film and paper. We called them machines, but these were multi-story buildings. Film manufacturing, especially, requires extremely costly facilities, which is why there were only a few around the world.

The newest film sensitizing facility started production in the late 80s/ early 90s. I suspect it’s where today’s film comes from.

Fabulous company to work for, ahead of its time. Miss it to this day.

Shame it did not survive the digital revolution, which, ironically, it help start by developing the first digital camera.
That is one of the great ironies for sure!

Since you worked there maybe you can clear up something regarding Kodak films when they state "scanner friendly". What did they mean?
06-28-2021, 10:50 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have couple rolls of Kodak BW to finish. One each in Super Program and a KM.

06-30-2021, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, the S1a worked. I had light leaks in odd places so it may need the light seals replacing. I changed lenses a few times and had my issues with the sticking mirror so that could be to blame. I need to put another roll through without any messing around and see what we got. The film is Kosmo Photo Mono iso100

06-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are great photos. Congrats on getting up and running.
06-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Those are great photos. Congrats on getting up and running.
Thanks I got the odd light leak and suspect I may need seals, but given this was the first roll through the camera in a lot of years I guess it’s allowed to creak a little. I will see how film 2 goes before I start changing seals

07-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the light seals are failing also inspect the mirror damper pad. If it starts falling apart you can end up with junk on the mirror or focusing screen which is *not good*.
07-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If the light seals are failing also inspect the mirror damper pad. If it starts falling apart you can end up with junk on the mirror or focusing screen which is *not good*.
There is a bit of junk on there already. I think I will get a set of seals and do my s1a and my spotmatic. The spottys mirror is sticking but the drop of oil didn't work so I think that's the foam. The spottys viewfinder is clear. If the new damper pad sorts the sticking mirror that might be nice to use