Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LX Loose Mirror ...

Hi All,

Recently I notice that the mirror in my LX seems to be too loose or something. After each shot the mirror flips down, then jumps back a little bit. I can clearly see the subject in viewfinder moves up and down after each shot. It's like the whole view shakes a bit after each shot. I also got a beaten up MX, the mirror doesn't behave like this.

Wonder if anyone else has ever seen the same problem before? Didn't see any effect on the metering or focusing, but I'd like to know if I should have it fixed.

Your tips n suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thanks and cheers!

11-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a rubber bumper on the mirror rest. You can see the assembly by locking up the mirror and looking into the mirror box. I don't recall which side it is on, but the rest is a small arm screwed to the side of the mirror box.
The bumper is prone to degrading (sticky mirror is one affliction that this can cause), and also to falling off altogether.
Check to ensure that the bumper is in place, as if it is missing, the mirror rest isn't padded and the mirror can ricochet a bit when it returns to rest.
You can also actuate the mirror lock up while looking at the mirror to see if it appears to be moving normally. It should move slightly up and backwards before flipping up out of the light path.
Generally, problems with the LX mirror also cause focus problems.
11-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There is a rubber bumper on the mirror rest. You can see the assembly by locking up the mirror and looking into the mirror box. I don't recall which side it is on, but the rest is a small arm screwed to the side of the mirror box.
The bumper is prone to degrading (sticky mirror is one affliction that this can cause), and also to falling off altogether.
Check to ensure that the bumper is in place, as if it is missing, the mirror rest isn't padded and the mirror can ricochet a bit when it returns to rest.
You can also actuate the mirror lock up while looking at the mirror to see if it appears to be moving normally. It should move slightly up and backwards before flipping up out of the light path.
Generally, problems with the LX mirror also cause focus problems.
Thanks for the tips. I've checked pretty much everything, seems everything is in order. I'm gonna do an AF test tomorrow w/ a couple of lenses and see how the results turn out. Luckily it's not a sticky mirror but a loose one
11-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Get the net ready to catch the mirror, when you use the faster shutter speeds.

11-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably all part of the syndrome the LX is prone to.
Time to have that mirror box rebuilt no doubt...

Chris
11-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Get the net ready to catch the mirror, when you use the faster shutter speeds.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Probably all part of the syndrome the LX is prone to.
Time to have that mirror box rebuilt no doubt...

Chris
Hey, you guys made me worried

Shot two rolls of film yesterday and today, prints won't be ready until Tuesday. Hope everything turns out okay.

Cheers!
12-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally got the film developed and scanned, everything seems okay. Here are three wide open shots by an A50/2.8 macro lens:

And another two by K200/4 wide open:

12-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gosh Frank, I feel bad as I sold you that camera a few months ago. At least the images document that there isn't any focus issue as the shots look very sharp to me. Did Wheatfield's suggestion to check the mirror stop yield any insight?
I've never really gotten into the mechanics of the LX, just liked shooting with it...but does the mirror work on a cam type flipper like the 645? Based on the descriptions from other comments about the mirror moving multiple directions, perhaps there is a "catch" somewhere in the cams or the hinges that move when the mirror moves? If so, there may be a visible wear area where the framework pieces rub each other near a hinge or cam? Just thinking out loud here...
Sticky mirror syndrome would likely cause pauses in mirror function during the exposure rather than afterward I would think. And since exposure has been dead on since you received the camera, my mind suggests something other than sticky mirror types of problems?
I like Wheatfield's idea of watching the mirror function with the front of the camera open and no lens in place. Please describe what you see...
12-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Gosh Frank, I feel bad as I sold you that camera a few months ago. At least the images document that there isn't any focus issue as the shots look very sharp to me. Did Wheatfield's suggestion to check the mirror stop yield any insight?
I've never really gotten into the mechanics of the LX, just liked shooting with it...but does the mirror work on a cam type flipper like the 645? Based on the descriptions from other comments about the mirror moving multiple directions, perhaps there is a "catch" somewhere in the cams or the hinges that move when the mirror moves? If so, there may be a visible wear area where the framework pieces rub each other near a hinge or cam? Just thinking out loud here...
Sticky mirror syndrome would likely cause pauses in mirror function during the exposure rather than afterward I would think. And since exposure has been dead on since you received the camera, my mind suggests something other than sticky mirror types of problems?
I like Wheatfield's idea of watching the mirror function with the front of the camera open and no lens in place. Please describe what you see...
No worries, Ron It's a great camera. I just noticed this very recently, probably didn't really check before.

When I look at the mirror from the front (no lens mounted of course), I can see the mirror bumps up slightly after it hits the bumper, I guess this causes the slight shaking (up and down) of the view when looking from the viewfinder. It's pretty obvious when compared w/ my MX (which is in far worse condition btw). Not really a big deal I guess 'cause I can still get sharp and well exposed results.

It's definitely not sticky mirror problem, just feel the mirror is abit too loose. Better don't look at the viewfinder after each shot
12-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Any problem with an LX mirror should be serviced, It really is the weak point of an otherwise fine camera.
I have three LX bodies, all of them have had mirror box problems of one sort or another.
12-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Any problem with an LX mirror should be serviced, It really is the weak point of an otherwise fine camera.
I have three LX bodies, all of them have had mirror box problems of one sort or another.
Hmm, sounds worse than I thought I'll bring it to a camera shop and see how they can do about it.
12-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, sounds worse than I thought I'll bring it to a camera shop and see how they can do about it.
It's not serious, think of it the same way you think of an oil change on your car.
They are not maintenance free machines.