Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #1

ME Super tool to remove ASA dial nut

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I want to remove the top cover from my ME Super, but the nut on the ASA dial is really stuck. I don't have a proper tool which I think is this in the service manual, attached.

I've tried using two flathead small screwdrivers but I can't get it to move, and I'm just damaging it.

Where can I get a tool like this, or how can I get it off?!

Attached Images

07-11-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try looking for a "Camera Spanner Wrench", such as the one pictured here: 5mm Spanner Wrench Tool | USCamera | Downloads Parts Tools MoreUSCamera

I have one I got off ebay similar to this: Adjustable Camera Lens Spanner Wrench 3 Tips Flat Opening Open Repair Tool set | eBay

These are adjustable and have changeable tips to cover many tasks.

Also, is that nut a left hand thread? I think the film advance lever nut is left hand, but I don't know about the ASA dial.

Good luck!
07-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does the manual say if it's a left or right hand turn?
07-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
I found a guide that said it was a "conventional thread", which I assume means right handed.

---------- Post added 07-11-21 at 10:18 AM ----------

That camera wrench looks perfect. The cheaper ones seem to start at 10mm though, will do some digging and see if I can find one that goes smaller. The dial nut holes are around 8mm apart.

07-11-2021, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #5

The cheaper ones may not be worth the money even if they did fit:

Lens Spanners -- Using the right tool for the job - PentaxForums.com

You could always take a screw driver and grind it down to have 8mm prongs. Don't forget the protective eyewear when grinding or using the makeshift tool.
07-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
This thing seems super stuck, so those cheaper wrench things may not work. A ground down screwdriver may work well, but then I need tools to grind down the screwdriver!
07-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Update:

I managed to make my own tool by filing down a door key bought from a hardware.

07-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a needle nose pliers that I ground down the tips. Most lens span wrenches don't get close enough for those collar nuts. Some old Starrett compass deviders also make a nice tool for this, but you need a shorter one (less flex in the arms) and you still need to bring the pointed tops to make them like a screwdriver tip.