Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2021, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Film body advise

I recently got a Coolscan V ED primarily to scan my grandfather's film collection, and it renewed my interest in the 135 format. As it happens, I don't actually have any working 35mm cameras aside from my grandfather's 3 Zenits and my dad's Kiev 19.

I have a Pentax S that I hope to revive as well.

I've been thinking about getting a camera to use with my M42 lenses, and one of the main requirements is a fast shutter speed. Naturally, LX came to mind. Unfortunately, I sold my LX and I kind of miss it. But when I started thinking of getting one again I remembered the sticky mirror and the ageing circuits... Expensive to repair if it ever breaks...

So I thought about Bessaflex TM... It's newer, has the same shutter speed, and has m42 mount. Seems like a good fit for my needs.

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas about any other m42 body with a fast shutter speed or any ideas regarding LX VS Bessaflex... (I know it's blasphemous to even ask that question, but since I sold my lx there is no hope for me anyway)

Thank you,

07-29-2021, 01:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It depends what you consider a fast shutter speed.
My Zenit E tops out at 1/500 sec, I guess this can be considered slow.

My newly acquired Pentax Spotmatic and my Praktica MTL 5 B reach a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec. Both cameras have a mechanical shutter and will need a batterie only for metering
07-29-2021, 03:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The vast majority of cameras with an M42 mount only go to 1/1000s maximum and I don't think any of the ones from Pentax go above that.

I have a Chinon CE II Memotron re-branded as the RevueFlex 5005 which has an M42 mount and goes to 1/2000s. It's a nice camera, quite big and very solid, which stops down the lens and takes a meter reading just prior to the exposure, a feature not many M42 cameras have. So far I've only run one roll of film through it but it's a camera I enjoy shooting and I'd recommend it. They're not particularly well known and from what I've seen many come with the 55mm f/1.4 lens, which is a good performer.

Beyond that, you might have to go for a K-mount camera with an adapter. Apart from the LX I think you'll only find greater than 1/1000s on AF cameras: the SFXn goes to 1/4000s and the Z-1 and Z-1p go to 1/8000s, though AF cameras are worse than most MF cameras to focus manually.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-29-2021 at 03:37 AM.
07-29-2021, 05:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I've been thinking about getting a camera to use with my M42 lenses, and one of the main requirements is a fast shutter speed.
Why do you need the fast shutter speed? Have you considered alternatives such as ND filters?

If you can live with 1/1000 your options for M42 are practically endless...

07-29-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Why do you need the fast shutter speed? Have you considered alternatives such as ND filters?

If you can live with 1/1000 your options for M42 are practically endless...
Yes, I thought about Nd filter... The problem is that aside from the hassle, I am worried about stripping the thread. I feel like I have damaged the thread on my Fuji 16mm F1.4 lens, but at least that lens is replaceable, even though it's not cheap. Some of the lenses I'd like to shoot are hard to replace, like Meyer Optik Gorlitz 75mm primoplan, and some others have bent filter ring... Plus unfortunately I am not the kind of person to use only one lens, I keep changing them even during a day..

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 06:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The vast majority of cameras with an M42 mount only go to 1/1000s maximum and I don't think any of the ones from Pentax go above that.

I have a Chinon CE II Memotron re-branded as the RevueFlex 5005 which has an M42 mount and goes to 1/2000s. It's a nice camera, quite big and very solid, which stops down the lens and takes a meter reading just prior to the exposure, a feature not many M42 cameras have. So far I've only run one roll of film through it but it's a camera I enjoy shooting and I'd recommend it. They're not particularly well known and from what I've seen many come with the 55mm f/1.4 lens, which is a good performer.

Beyond that, you might have to go for a K-mount camera with an adapter. Apart from the LX I think you'll only find greater than 1/1000s on AF cameras: the SFXn goes to 1/4000s and the Z-1 and Z-1p go to 1/8000s, though AF cameras are worse than most MF cameras to focus manually.
Thank you! I don't know this particular model, but I'll look into it. Do you know if it's one of the cameras made by Cosina?

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 06:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
It depends what you consider a fast shutter speed.
My Zenit E tops out at 1/500 sec, I guess this can be considered slow.

My newly acquired Pentax Spotmatic and my Praktica MTL 5 B reach a shutter speed of 1/1000 sec. Both cameras have a mechanical shutter and will need a batterie only for metering
Yes, all my soviet cameras top out at 1/500. I did have a Zorky that had a 1/1000 and was much older than the Zenits...

It's a perfectly useable speed if you don't mind stopping down, but some of the lenses I'd like to shoot lose their charm when stopped down...
07-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many stops of over-exposure do you think will be taking place with the shooting you want to do with a max speed of 1/1000s?

If you're shooting common negative film (not slide film, that's different) you shouldn't have an issue with a couple of stops of over-exposure. You might even like the results.
07-29-2021, 06:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I thought about Nd filter... The problem is that aside from the hassle, I am worried about stripping the thread. I feel like I have damaged the thread on my Fuji 16mm F1.4 lens, but at least that lens is replaceable, even though it's not cheap. Some of the lenses I'd like to shoot are hard to replace, like Meyer Optik Gorlitz 75mm primoplan, and some others have bent filter ring... Plus unfortunately I am not the kind of person to use only one lens, I keep changing them even during a day..
Add some inexpensive adapter rings to all of the lenses to allow a slightly larger filter and then if you strip one remove it and replace it. That way you can use filters and not worry about problems. Alternatively add mag filter rings on each lens - a bit more expensive but your not going to be risking the threads constantly.

Alternately, get one or more m42 adapters and one of these bodies:

Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Ricoh KR-5 Super II - Third-Party Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Search - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Search for 1/2000 in all fields. Limit search to 3rd party film cameras.

07-29-2021, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thinking about it, if m42 is the goal, there's adapters for all kinds of camera systems. I don't think any camera mount or system, once an m42 adapter is part of the mix, is going to be better or worse for use (you won't miss some function because the functionality is all going to be about the same). So, suddenly, you could get into all kinds of SLR's for this; Nikon, Minolta, Leica, etc etc etc.
07-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I hate using ND filters on SLRs. Making the vf darker makes it harder to focus etc.
07-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't own any M42 lenses, but yeah I think an adapter on a K mount body would make sense. My P30T was CHEAP and it's got a nice viewfinder, but it tops out at 1/1000.

An ME Super would probably be my 2nd choice, just for the slightly faster shutter speed.

Last edited by trixtroll; 07-29-2021 at 08:45 AM.
07-29-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

The Z-1 does have a mediocre viewfinder for manual focus, but it does have focus confirmation, which is pretty nice for walkabout manual focus shooting.
07-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering if you guys have any ideas about any other m42 body with a fast shutter speed or any ideas regarding LX VS Bessaflex... (I know it's blasphemous to even ask that question, but since I sold my lx there is no hope for me anyway)
I would just get another LX. A Bessaflex, while a cool camera, is vastly less capable and about the same price.

Steve
07-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would just get another LX. A Bessaflex, while a cool camera, is vastly less capable and about the same price.

Steve
even given the sticky mirror?

The problem with LX is not even that, so much as the K mount... As soon as I get another K mount camera I'll be tempted to get the 3 FA limited lenses. And then I am ruined!

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
How many stops of over-exposure do you think will be taking place with the shooting you want to do with a max speed of 1/1000s?

If you're shooting common negative film (not slide film, that's different) you shouldn't have an issue with a couple of stops of over-exposure. You might even like the results.
Hmm. Good question. I do remember overexposing with LX shooting M50 1.4 wide open... But I did like the results

---------- Post added 07-29-21 at 12:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Add some inexpensive adapter rings to all of the lenses to allow a slightly larger filter and then if you strip one remove it and replace it. That way you can use filters and not worry about problems. Alternatively add mag filter rings on each lens - a bit more expensive but your not going to be risking the threads constantly.
Thank you! I wish I thought of this, but I honestly haven't... Even though one of my lenses has an adapter because it has a weird filter size (I am looking at you Helios 40)
07-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As soon as I get another K mount camera I'll be tempted to get the 3 FA limited lenses.
Hhhhmmmm. I think that's quite a good reason to get another K mount camera! At least make a few more posts if necessary, and enter the raffle.
07-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote

Hmm. Good question. I do remember overexposing with LX shooting M50 1.4 wide open... But I did like the results
Well since you got the Nikon Coolscan V, then you might be interested to know you can take advantage of the huge latitude of most color negatives as well as b&w film.

I thought I reached the end of Kodak Portra 400's generous overexposure range by going +10 but apparently that wasn't the case . . .

I applied a bare minimum of post work of white balance and levels on the +10 and as you can on the enlargement on the right, it came out reasonably well.

These were straight up scans from the Coolscan+Nikonscan as I didn't even have to "burn the image" during the scan. I didn't expect Kodak Ektar 100 had this much range as I thought it would end by +5 but that was not the case either. The DSLR RAW images are just a reference to show how much overexposure range these films have.

I always considered the Coolscan's to be the best Nikons I have . . .