Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any MG Users Out There?

Hi folks,

Are there any MG users still around? I did a quick search of this forum for "MG" and didn't get any results? Surely, I'm not the Lone Ranger out and about with an old MG!

11-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Banned

I would imagine that there aren't too many. to be honest most here use digital and those that do use film cameras tend to have the more well known and more widely available or the more lusted after cameras. for example the LX, MX, KX, K1000, ME, ME Super, Super Program, PZ-1. I would imagine you are a bit of a lone ranger. be happy about that!
11-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's the lack of full manual on the MG that does it. Kind of a pity, that. Love those little Pentaxes.
11-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Banned

the MG, MV, MV1 & the ME were all only Av. that hasn't stopped the ME from being really popular. I think its likely 1 or 2 of 2 things. the ME being the more well known (likely due to just being released earlier) or the larger viewfinder. the ME was released in 1976, alongside the MX. most people likely couldn't afford the MX or just wanted the Av. since the ME did very well, there was name recognition so I think that's why despite the rest of the M series (not including the ME F) being released all in the same year: 1980, the ME Super became much more polular and remains as such.

Last edited by séamuis; 11-30-2008 at 01:24 PM.
12-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I had one that I gave to my brother withe the 50/2 he still uses it and gets good results.
He drags it along while mountain biking so the camera is a tank.

However he is getting a ME for Xmas (i keep the ME-Super) so I guess the MG will see less and less action... unless the ME breaks
02-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #6

Hey guys, first post here.

My fiancee's Dad just gave me his old Pentax MG. It doesn't seem to be too popular, but its in like-new condition and works great. Its a nice size and build I think and Aperture priority is great for 95% of my use.

It also has a 50mm F1.7 lense which is really nice.

So cheers to the MG!
02-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome.

Good lens, by all accounts, and a quality camera, though it's from an era when I didn't trust automation with much of anything.

02-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #8

Any idea what the lense and camera would be worth in this like-new condition. The camera was also recently serviced, resealed, and calibrated.
02-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't expect to get too much $ back from service/CLR etc. but noting it might make it seem more attractive. Suggest checking against KEH, and completed e-bay & pentaxforums marketplace listings to get a handle on current value. MG appears to be much like ME but with smaller viewfinder, shorter minimum shutter speed, but has more ME-Super-like multi-color viewfinder indicators and a different ISO/Exp. comp arrangement that while sort of fiddly theoretically better-supports 1/3 EV step adjustments.
02-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #10

The market for used Pentax MG cameras is thin.

AndrewG is correct. I recently sold a Pentax MG on Ebay that was in very nice condition, CLA and everything. At the end of the day, there was a fair bit of looking but only one bid. It's a thin market and it is very difficult to get full value for the item. My recommendations:
1) a Buy-it-now + best offer format on Ebay due to the thinly traded market.
2) separating the camera from the lens--it is clear that they are two separate markets.

Ebay Item number: 320329631554
02-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by harfooz Quote
Hi folks,

Are there any MG users still around? I did a quick search of this forum for "MG" and didn't get any results? Surely, I'm not the Lone Ranger out and about with an old MG!
Not since I got married, but with the top down it sure attracted 'em.:ugh:
02-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not since I got married, but with the top down it sure attracted 'em.:ugh:
I saw that one coming!
04-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
Zou

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but I have an MG. The lack of manual mode is a pain which I bear by it being an otherwise gorgeous little camera. The meter has recently given up, so I shoot it on x100 using 'sunny 16' estimation and filters to keep the speed down on really bright days. I also use it for pinhole stuff (although not for a while) with a homemade pinhole cover and long exposures using the Bulb mode.

Most recently I have started using my DA 18-55 with it. It (understandably) vignettes like crazy under about 24mm, but the view in that bright finder at 18mm is well worth it!

I have several MG images on my Flickr pages - see here: MG - a set on Flickr