Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2021, 04:45 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every great story has a beginning: Asahiflex (Tower 23)

Hello,

Clean your feet before entering. We are in the presence of royalty here.

I have documented elsewhere in this forum the Asahi Pentax: The first commercially successful pentaprism SLR and great grand father of today's DSLRs.
But even before that, the very first camera produced by the Asahi Optical Company was also an SLR: The original Asahiflex from 1952.
SLR camera designs date back to even before WWII. But the Asahiflex was arguably the first commercially successful SLR. Part of that success was not only the high quality of the product, but also the addressing of one of the main drawbacks of SLR design: Blackout due to the mirror movement.
The original Asahiflex of 1952 and the follow up model Asahiflex IA from 1953 featured a semi-rapid return mirror.
The third variation, Asahiflex IIB (Model I) from 1954, was the world's first SLR with automatic instant return mirror. That was a big deal back then!
Two more models were produced: Asahiflex IIB Model II and Asahiflex IIA before the launch of the Asahi Pentax in 1957.
The Asahiflex used M37 (37mm) screw mount. The famous M42 was launched with the AP in 1957.
Sears sold Asahiflex cameras under its "Tower" camera brand. The Asahiflex IA was marketed as Tower 23, both Asahiflex IIB were sold as Tower 23 or 24 depending on the kit lens (50mm f3.5 or 58mm f2.4 respectively) and the Asahiflex IIA which was the last variant was sold as the Tower 22. What is it with camera companies and weird numbering sequences?

My specimen:
I've been patiently looking for an Asahiflex for a while now. The opportunity finally came and I just received this:
Tower 23 (Asahiflex IIB Model 1) from 1954

This model is my favorite for been the first instant return mirror (next favorite would be the Asahiflex I for been the first).
The camera looks great for its age but could benefit from a good deep cleaning. The front glass of the side finder is cracked (not a big deal). The lens looks clear. The leather case is in great shape for been from 1954 and it seems it has done a good job protecting the camera.
However, it was advertised as "working, but I'm not sure so no returns". Well, no, it is not working.
Mirror is stuck and shutter sounds the same regardless the speed selected. So I guess there will be an open Asahiflex in my workbench in the near future...
Stay tuned...

Thanks,

08-07-2021, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thank you for the history lesson; I've been looking at Tower 23 camera bodies, but only for the lenses attached....
08-07-2021, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
thank you for the history lesson; I've been looking at Tower 23 camera bodies, but only for the lenses attached....
I'd love to see you test these M37 lenses under the renowned International Standard of chocolate cookies stackup

Thanks,
08-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
I'd love to see you test these M37 lenses under the renowned International Standard of chocolate cookies stackup

Thanks,
so far, no M37's here.. I've only bought M42 Takumars....

but maybe soon....

08-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

I have documented elsewhere in this forum the Asahi Pentax: The first commercially successful pentaprism SLR and great grand father of today's DSLRs.
But even before that, the very first camera produced by the Asahi Optical Company was also an SLR: The original Asahiflex from 1952.
SLR camera designs date back to even before WWII. But the Asahiflex was arguably the first commercially successful SLR. Part of that success was not only the high quality of the product, but also the addressing of one of the main drawbacks of SLR design: Blackout due to the mirror movement.
The original Asahiflex of 1952 and the follow up model Asahiflex IA from 1953 featured a semi-rapid return mirror.
The third variation, Asahiflex IIB (Model I) from 1954, was the world's first SLR with automatic instant return mirror. That was a big deal back then!
Two more models were produced: Asahiflex IIB Model II and Asahiflex IIA before the launch of the Asahi Pentax in 1957.
The Asahiflex used M37 (37mm) screw mount. The famous M42 was launched with the AP in 1957.
Sears sold Asahiflex cameras under its "Tower" camera brand. The Asahiflex IA was marketed as Tower 23, both Asahiflex IIB were sold as Tower 23 or 24 depending on the kit lens (50mm f3.5 or 58mm f2.4 respectively) and the Asahiflex IIA which was the last variant was sold as the Tower 22. What is it with camera companies and weird numbering sequences?

My specimen:
I've been patiently looking for an Asahiflex for a while now. The opportunity finally came and I just received this:

This model is my favorite for been the first instant return mirror (next favorite would be the Asahiflex I for been the first).
The camera looks great for its age but could benefit from a good deep cleaning. The front glass of the side finder is cracked (not a big deal). The lens looks clear. The leather case is in great shape for been from 1954 and it seems it has done a good job protecting the camera.
However, it was advertised as "working, but I'm not sure so no returns". Well, no, it is not working.
Mirror is stuck and shutter sounds the same regardless the speed selected. So I guess there will be an open Asahiflex in my workbench in the near future...
Stay tuned...

Thanks,
Looks great, maybe a visit to Eric to get it fully functional? Would love to find any one of the 3 variants locally to add to my shelf.
08-07-2021, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing ismaelg. If you are successful with the repair let me know. I have a few bodies that need some TLC
There are actually many different variants. See my picture in #4:
Asahiflex - Collecting a gem - PentaxForums.com
08-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was a little kid in the early '60s my Dad had a camera that said 'Tower' on it; I think he bought it at Sears. I didn't know anything about photography then, except that my dad was a shutterbug. He died when I was young, and I have no idea what happened to that camera. I still have his monopod though, and it still works fine.

08-09-2021, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Sears Roebuck used to sell cameras under the SEARS and TOWER brands.
Depending on the brand and time it sould be a Mamiya, BIlora, Ricoh, Asahiflex, Ciro, etc
Sears - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Asahi Optical / Heiland has a deal with Sears and the following cameras were made for them:
Tower 22,23, and 24 were Asahiflexes
Tower 28 and 29 were the original Asahii Pentax and the Asahi Pentax K (M42x1)

Also a few lenses were exclusive of Sears, such as the Takumar 55/1.9

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
When I was a little kid in the early '60s my Dad had a camera that said 'Tower' on it; I think he bought it at Sears. I didn't know anything about photography then, except that my dad was a shutterbug. He died when I was young, and I have no idea what happened to that camera. I still have his monopod though, and it still works fine.
08-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Sears Roebuck used to sell cameras under the SEARS and TOWER brands.
Thanks for this info and the link. I was way too young to know/remember what model he had. I'm pretty sure it was a 35mm rangefinder though. And to think - I could've inherited a Mamiya!
08-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Thanks for this info and the link. I was way too young to know/remember what model he had. I'm pretty sure it was a 35mm rangefinder though. And to think - I could've inherited a Mamiya!
or a NICCA!!!
08-10-2021, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

While not an earth-shattering surprise, I was glad to find that the mirror return gear and mechanism is similar to the later bodies.

Thanks,
Ismael
08-10-2021, 08:41 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Doing the Happy Dance!

Thanks,
08-11-2021, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

My specimen:

Stay tuned...

Thanks,
Great to have an Asahiflex. After a long and intensive search I now have all the Asahiflex models, but not yet the Tower variants. Although I have done extensive research before writing my two books on Pentax from 1952 to 1977 I have not been able to find out why Sears used such strange model names and why the 23 and 24 appeared before the 22. All in all they only used 26 and 29 in addition. If you dive into the history of Sears you will find that they did the same with other brand they sold (source: Sears - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia). Tower 27 and 28 do not exist and Tower 25 is a Nikon. Happy Pentaxing!
08-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Gerjan!

Thanks for stopping by! You are part to blame on this.
Your book is addictive and a bad influence

Thank you for the excellent book and the years of research. Let me know if you need pics of this Tower for your reference.

Thanks,
Ismael

---------- Post added 08-11-21 at 11:25 AM ----------

Next step: A nice deep clean before taking it out to the wild world
08-11-2021, 09:41 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Suddenly it is 1954!

Presenting my "new" Tower 23 (Asahiflex IIB Model 1)

I'm very happy!

Shutter speeds "sound" about right but only a test roll will tell. Tested both flash ports and they work. The body shows minor signs of corrosion spots here and there but no dings. It looks GREAT for a 67 years old camera. The Galilean viewfinder (fixed finder to the top left) has a crack in the front element but it is barely noticeable in use. Not a big deal at all.

The lens mounts fine but the focusing marks are not perfectly pointing up. But the distance scale seems to be accurate.

Interesting story on the lens: The aperture diaphragm was not working properly. I thought it was broken. Then I noticed the whole lens was turning inside when trying to turn the aperture ring. Turned out it was just loose! A good but careful tightening, a good clean and the lens works beautifully! I ordered a M37 to M42 adapter to try the lens in a digital body. Looking thru the magnifying glass of the viewfinder the lens is focusing properly to infinity.

The leather case will be cleaned and restored but that will have to wait as I'm quite busy at work.

All is left now is a roll and take it out for a spin!

Suddenly it is 1954!

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael