Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #46
Banned

most of that lomo crap, and agood portion of fpp film is the same thing put into 5 different box labels. And a massive amount of fpp sells is odd lots they have sourced from the world. Old movie stuido here, old reasearch lab that did high speed film research in the 1970s has a shipping container with 1 million feet of film.... and so on.

pro image 100 is good film.

12-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But the prices being asked, even compared to a year ago, are outrageous.
Supply chain issues just like everything else from coffee filters to motor oil. It is unlikely there is a world shortage of either, but prices are high non-the-less.

Steve
12-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #48

The film industry/production especially color film is fragile compared to many other consumer products. There's currently a paint shortage here in the southeast US I assume that there's no reason to assume the paint businesses don't survive, the question is can color film survive this? Ironically Fujifilm is in a better position to continue to provide film while Kodak is not but its the later who seems to be struggling to keep film production going. Interesting no?
12-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Film in Australia is quite expensive at present:
Some black and white is not too bad:
35mm Black & White Film | WALKENS House of Film

12-02-2021, 04:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

But the prices being asked, even compared to a year ago, are outrageous.

Back when I was actually shooting film, I was buying Ektar 100 for $5.99, Gold 200 was $2.99. That was 2014-15. Now it's $15.99 and $9.99. Just think about it - 10 bucks for Gold 200!! Earlier this year, ProImage 100 5-pack was $27.99. Now it's $41.99. It's not even a good film (IMHO)!

To me, the film industry is basically dead, it priced itself out of the common people's reach. And that's when film is even available to start with...
Well brace yourself, because Kodak have stated that their films are going up by an average of 20% as of the new year. I already regard virtually all their products as over-priced so a 20% increase will probably mean the only colour film I'll shoot is whatever I have now. Apart from that it'll be B&W and virtually all of that will come from Ilford or perhaps some of the other European producers like Foma or Rollei.
12-02-2021, 04:52 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Today...In stock at B&H in 35mm:

Professional Ektachrome E100, 36xp

It appears someone has access to a warehouse...

Steve
Good to know they finally have E100 back in stock, as they were out for around 3 months. Still no 35mm Fuji E6 in stock.
12-02-2021, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Well brace yourself, because Kodak have stated that their films are going up by an average of 20% as of the new year. I already regard virtually all their products as over-priced so a 20% increase will probably mean the only colour film I'll shoot is whatever I have now. Apart from that it'll be B&W and virtually all of that will come from Ilford or perhaps some of the other European producers like Foma or Rollei.
Yeah color film is about to die. No need to brace myself, I had already canceled my New Years Resolution to shoot film all this year, earlier when there wasn't any film that I wanted, and stuck with that now that it's way overpriced.

Feels like they're trying to kill the goose with the golden eggs.

12-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah color film is about to die. No need to brace myself, I had already canceled my New Years Resolution to shoot film all this year, earlier when there wasn't any film that I wanted, and stuck with that now that it's way overpriced.

Kodak Pro Image 100 is a good value for C-41 film and is around half the price of Ektar. (I actually like it better as well)

Phil.
12-02-2021, 07:50 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Kodak Pro Image 100 is a good value for C-41 film and is around half the price of Ektar. (I actually like it better as well)

Phil.
12-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
Not sure if 8 dollars per roll is "good value"...

I guess that is why they make it though, some people do like it. But to me the colors look wrong. And it's a 100 speed film with quite a bit of grain... I'm not crazy about Ektar either (though I've used it with some success), if Ektar costs 16 dollars I'd rather pay 20 for E-100 and get real positive film, not a negative that tries to be a positive.
12-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Phil.
Ya gotta love Pentax Forums...there is a workable answer to just about any dilemma.

Steve
12-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Ya gotta love Pentax Forums...there is a workable answer to just about any dilemma.

Steve
Actually, to add to that, I saw that several WalMart's have Superia 400 - 3 rolls of 36 for $18.99. Probably while supplies last, you can't order online, only at the stores, but several stores here have it. I think I would prefer that film to ProImage. In case someone is looking for cheap film alternatives...
12-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, to add to that, I saw that several WalMart's have Superia 400 - 3 rolls of 36 for $18.99. Probably while supplies last, you can't order online, only at the stores, but several stores here have it. I think I would prefer that film to ProImage. In case someone is looking for cheap film alternatives...
I just checked and I can only order if shipped to me, though they will get it to me by Saturday.

BTW...I just noticed that it is a three-pack at that price! Ka-ching!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-02-2021 at 10:41 AM.
12-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I just checked and I can only order if shipped to me, though they will get it to me by Saturday.

BTW...I just noticed that it is a three-pack at that price! Ka-ching!

Steve
Yup, I did mention it was 3 rolls of 36... usually that price is for 3 rolls of 24. So that is pretty good, I'll take Superia over Fujicolor (or Gold, or ProImage) any day....
12-03-2021, 04:43 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Phil.
I was using Pro Image 100 back when it was still only available in Asia and South America. I ordered it from a good film supplier at the time, I think based in Thailand. They had a good range and good prices. I think back then (around ten years ago) it cost half what it does now, which I think is broadly true of all Kodak films.