Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sticking curtain on MX

Title edited
I bought an MX of eBay. The description was that it was "...untested, but the previous owner looked after his gear". It was only after I paid for it that the seller mentioned the mirror was stuck. So, I am left hoping it is something simple like lubricants or a sticky mirror bumper. Now, to my question. I know a CLA would fix it but I don't have £80+, buying the thing cleaned me out! I have used the oil trick to free up the mirror on my spotty, does the same trick work on the MX?

Last edited by Cerebum; 09-30-2021 at 10:21 AM.
09-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I bought an MX of eBay. The description was that it was "...untested, but the previous owner looked after his gear". It was only after I paid for it that the seller mentioned the mirror was stuck. So, I am left hoping it is something simple like lubricants or a sticky mirror bumper. Now, to my question. I know a CLA would fix it but I don't have £80+, buying the thing cleaned me out! I have used the oil trick to free up the mirror on my spotty, does the same trick work on the MX?
I think it might. Take off the bottom and see if you can latch or unlatch the mirror... I think the mechanism is very similar. One thing I've done with similar issues is I use a syringe of isopropyl alcohol or methanol to lightly flush the mechanism on the bottom... with the camera face tilting down about 45 degrees... so runoff drips away from the curtains and I catch it on paper towel held at the bottom front. Then I relube moving gear and pivot points with a tiny amount of Nye Oil.

09-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I think it might. Take off the bottom and see if you can latch or unlatch the mirror... I think the mechanism is very similar. One thing I've done with similar issues is I use a syringe of isopropyl alcohol or methanol to lightly flush the mechanism on the bottom... with the camera face tilting down about 45 degrees... so runoff drips away from the curtains and I catch it on paper towel held at the bottom front. Then I relube moving gear and pivot points with a tiny amount of Nye Oil.
Brilliant, thanks. I have some neoprene in case it turns out to be the mirror bumper, so that is the two most likely causes covered
09-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Brilliant, thanks. I have some neoprene in case it turns out to be the mirror bumper, so that is the two most likely causes covered
if it's the mirror foam you should be able to drop the mirror down with your finger without any effort. If it doesn't drop then it's something mechanical. It could be internal on the side of the mirror box. if so I'd recommend sending it out for a CLA.

09-26-2021, 11:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
if it's the mirror foam you should be able to drop the mirror down with your finger without any effort. If it doesn't drop then it's something mechanical. It could be internal on the side of the mirror box. if so I'd recommend sending it out for a CLA.
Thanks. It will get a cla at some point but I would like to put a roll through to see what I have got. I can't wait to get my hands on it for a fiddle I have the correct lubes and light seals but anything more complex will mean it is mothballed until I can send it away
09-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #6

Does the mirror come down when you smack the camera smartly, base down, into the palm of your hand? I had this with an ME Super once, and a little (very) judicious cleaning with naphtha lighter fluid beneath the bottom plate got it to go, but I still recommended the owner had it CLA'd as the naphtha removes all lubricant as well as clearing the gungy-up stuff.
09-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
Does the mirror come down when you smack the camera smartly, base down, into the palm of your hand? I had this with an ME Super once, and a little (very) judicious cleaning with naphtha lighter fluid beneath the bottom plate got it to go, but I still recommended the owner had it CLA'd as the naphtha removes all lubricant as well as clearing the gungy-up stuff.
Dunno, I haven't got it yet. I did the same with a spotty only I also lubed it with a miniscule amount of fine watch oil. It is currently working beautifully

09-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, the mirror is stuck up because the curtain isn't quite completing its travel, by a couple of mm. Other than that it is pristine. So, stuck shutter lube trick? Or could it free up simply by operating it? It has quite possibly been stood for a while
10-08-2021, 03:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Clicking the shutter worked well but it still stuck occasionally so I did the oil thing. Fingers crossed I ran a roll of ilford XP2 through it, what a fabulous camera
09-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #10
Forum Member

Howdy! Did you get to the bottom of this with your MX?

The MX I have responded well to flushing timing gears with isopropyl, for a while all was well at all speeds. However after a short time the slow shutter speeds result in the mirror getting stuck. Will continued cleaning out fix this do you think, or is it likely something else?

Last edited by grimnicholas; 09-13-2022 at 04:12 AM.
09-14-2022, 12:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
Howdy! Did you get to the bottom of this with your MX?

The MX I have responded well to flushing timing gears with isopropyl, for a while all was well at all speeds. However after a short time the slow shutter speeds result in the mirror getting stuck. Will continued cleaning out fix this do you think, or is it likely something else?
Mine hasn't missed a beat through the summer, following my cla. It will be interesting to see how it does when things get cold again. It seemed to have issues below 5°c but it has been well worked so maybe this winter it will behave itself
09-14-2022, 05:48 PM   #12
Forum Member

Mine hasn't missed a beat through the summer, following my cla. It will be interesting to see how it does when things get cold again. It seemed to have issues below 5°c but it has been well worked so maybe this winter it will behave itself
Good to know! Happy shooting. Pretty wild if it can operate below 5 degrees. Very rugged.

So did you end up oiling / cleaning yourself or get a professional CLA?

If you DIYd, where did you clean and oil?
09-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
Good to know! Happy shooting. Pretty wild if it can operate below 5 degrees. Very rugged.

So did you end up oiling / cleaning yourself or get a professional CLA?

If you DIYd, where did you clean and oil?
I sent mine out for a CLA it was worth spending the money on