Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2021, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Too far gone to be rescued K1000? Let's find out

Hello,

How many times have you been in a conversation where photography and cameras are mentioned and somebody says "I used a K1000 way back in..." ?
Over a year ago, in a conversation with fellow Boy Scout's adult leaders one of them told me "I may still have my old K1000 from High School in the 80's". A few months ago he told me he found it and he would bring it to me whenever we met. We met a couple of weeks ago for a district meeting and sure enough, he brought a plastic bag, looked at me and said something along the lines of don't get your hopes too high as it is probably too far gone.
Opening the bag I said No worries, I've restored some pretty rough ones and... Whoaa... Yikes!!!
It is a solid block. nothing moves. Not even the lens release button moves.

This is... well, WAS, a Tokina lens. Never seen a lens that bad. A solid seized frozen chunk.

The flash can be thrown away in a flash

The only item in the bag that MAY have a chance of survival is a fungus infected M50 f2

Back to the camera, if I at least can access the bottom mechanism I may have a chance to.....
OHHhhhhh.....

Those screws are welded there. May need a jack-hammer to open this....
Where is my can opener?

Thanks,
Ismael

10-30-2021, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I don't think I've ever seen a camera with that much mold & mildew on the metal before. Wow.
10-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Call it solid build, nothing loose or rattling in this one The lens mount looks pretty clean, but I'm guessing this was kept in a damp basement for decades?
10-30-2021, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ismael - have you considered therapy? I'm beginning to think you may have masochistic tendencies

10-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once saw an eBay listing for a Nikon FM that had been dredged up from the bottom of a lake.

Chris
10-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is fixable.
10-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #7

Would be really nice to have it up and running. Any ideas how to get the screws loosen up?

10-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing that a good shot or two of WD40 can't cure!

(Yeah, yeah, I know that's not what it is for, but that is sorta its (not so well deserved?) reputation.)
10-30-2021, 05:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least right screw should be fine to unscrew. Just needed proper screwdriver (not Philips but JIS). If that is successful you can move to the next screw.
10-30-2021, 06:51 PM - 7 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Bottom plate has 3 screws. Both end screws eventually came out. The center screw.......well, here is the story of the last 2 weeks:

Round 1: Screw vs JIS driver
Winner: Screw

Round 2: Screw vs bigger JIS driver for more leverage

Round 3: Screw vs WD40 and JIS driver

Round 4: Screw vs UNDEFEATED PB Blaster

Round 5: Screw vs a lot more PB Blaster

Round 6: Screw vs copious amount of PB Blaster plus 3 days to let it soak

Round 7: Screw vs Tsunami of PB Blaster, a week to soak and a JIS driver

Round 8: Continuation of round 6 but with a flat hardened screwdriver and locking pliers! [insert evil laugh here]
Winner: Screw by knockout. Flat driver tip BROKE!!!!!

Round 9: Screw vs Screw extractor!
Winner: SCREWWWWW!!!!! (Technical win because the extractor was not the right size and could not grab properly)

Coming up next: Round 10
Looking at my blow torch while pending to get the right size screw extractor which I am tempted to put in a JACK-HAMMER!

Stay tuned...

OH! and by the way, the battery cover is in the same league. I fear there might be a dead battery in there.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 11-16-2021 at 02:21 PM.
10-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Drill that middle screw out?! (Or, at least drill the head off.) You can always tap the hole for a slightly larger screw when you re-assemble.
10-30-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
OH! and by the way, the battery cover is in the same league. I fear there might be a dead battery in there.
If you manage unscrew plate the battery lid could be removed by putting the whole plate into 5% vinegar for a day. Worked for me.
10-31-2021, 03:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Coming up next: Round 9
Looking at my blow torch while pending to get the right size screw extractor which I am tempted to put in a JACK-HAMMER!

Stay tuned...

You're in Puerto Rico? No doubt this K1000 has seen seawater and lots and lots of moisture from humidity.

I think a heat gun may be needed, or perhaps a soldering iron to more directly apply the heat to the screw.

Have you tried a bit of impact on the screw to try to loosen it? Usually if it looks this bad on the outside, it's worse on the inside.

I would consider this more of an autopsy than a life saving operation. As rugged and simple as the K1000 is, one rogue wave will fossilize most SLRs. Hope for the best; expect the worst.
10-31-2021, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #14

Hello,

Bottom plate has 3 screws. Both end screws eventually came out. The center screw.......well, here is the story of the last 2 weeks:

Round 1: Screw vs JIS driver

Round 2: Screw vs bigger JIS driver for more leverage

Round 3: Screw vs WD40 and JIS driver

Round 4: Screw vs UNDEFEATED PB Blaster

Round 5: Screw vs a lot more PB Blaster

Round 5: Screw vs copious amount of PB Blaster plus 3 days to let it soak

Round 6: Screw vs Tsunami of PB Blaster, a week to soak and a JIS driver

Round 7: Continuation of round 6 but with a flat hardened screwdriver and locking pliers! [insert evil laugh here]
Winner: Screw by knockout. Flat driver tip BROKE!!!!!

Round 8: Screw vs Screw extractor!
Winner: SCREWWWWW!!!!! (Technical win because the extractor was not the right size and could not grab properly)

Coming up next: Round 9

Stay tuned...

Hey, I’am sorry for you, but… that was an incredible day start (laughs) for a Sunday morning.
The way you described the fight, I can feel every single punch you throw at this “bad guy”.
11-05-2021, 12:38 PM - 5 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

LIVE! From the workbench! ROUND 10!

The screw has been defeated! REPEAT! The screw has been defeated!
Tim Allen would be proud of me "VROOM VROOM!"
Finally knocked that sucker out.

Sure enough, there was a battery there probably since the Ronald Reagan, Mikhail Gorbachev and Magaret Thatcher era.

The battery door will be another battle.

Now where were we? Oh yes, the camera!
Hmmm, not as bad as I thought. Maybe there is hope...

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 11-16-2021 at 02:21 PM.