Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #1

Remove old, crusty Velcro glue from leatherette

Thought I would float this out here to see if any "restorers" here have come across this. I just acquired a really nice Pentax KX 35mm camera and it all works like a champ so far. A previous owner decided to mount two squares of Velcro to the back of the leatherette. With qualms, I decided to remove them. What I ended up with are two crusty squares of old glue that are as hard as a rock. Was hoping someone had tackled this before. I really don't want to replace the leatherette, but I don't want to ruin it either. It reminds me of Super Glue, and I suppose it could be. If I try acetone might I ruin the leatherette? Dilemma...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SM-G930A  Photo 

Last edited by aj_chicago; 11-03-2021 at 10:52 AM.
11-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd bet that acetone WILL ruin the leatherette, since that is likely a polymer based material. I'd be tempted to try a little Isopropyl Alcohol, but again, keep an eye out for damage. Another tactic may be to use warm soap and water; but be mindful of how much you put on; you don't want it wandering around. I'd probably get a cloth hot, wet and soapy and try to soak it off. Put dry towels around the outside to prevent water migrating anywhere else.

Another method that would be dry is to get it warm with a lamp or hairdryer (but keep an eye on it; not too hot!), and then use some duct tape to try to pull it off.
11-03-2021, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I would try WD-40. It's a pretty good solvent but is harmless to vinyl, and most plastics, resins, and painted surfaces.
As stated above, don't use acetone.
11-03-2021, 11:37 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I use non-acetone nail polish remover. You can also try Goo-Gone anti adhesive. You can also try a cleaner like 409 or Fantastik applying a small amount to a toothbrush and rubbing slightly. I have also used 91% alcohol in a cotton swab. The idea is to start from the mildest (just a little soapy water) and increase "aggression" as needed.

Thanks,
Ismael

11-03-2021, 12:39 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I use non-acetone nail polish remover. You can also try Goo-Gone anti adhesive. You can also try a cleaner like 409 or Fantastik applying a small amount to a toothbrush and rubbing slightly. I have also used 91% alcohol in a cotton swab. The idea is to start from the mildest (just a little soapy water) and increase "aggression" as needed.

Thanks,
Ismael
To the OP-
Considering ismaelg's expertise in this area I'd suggest going with his recommendation.
Check out his posts on the restorations he's done on antique cameras.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-03-2021 at 01:08 PM.
11-03-2021, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I would try WD-40. It's a pretty good solvent but is harmless to vinyl, and most plastics, resins, and painted surfaces.
As stated above, don't use acetone.
Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
To the OP-
Considering ismaelg's expertise in this area I'd suggest going with his recommendation. ;(
Check out his posts on the restorations he's done on antique cameras.
Who, me? I just have a very bad habit to taking things apart

Thanks,
Ismael
11-03-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've seen quite a few cameras with that stuff stuck into the leatherette.

Best remover I've found is lighter fluid (naptha). Squirt some on and let it sit. Before it completely evaporates, see if it has softened up the adhesive. Scraping, rubbing may be needed to get it off.

It does seem many have resorted to using an epoxy to attach stuff to camera backs, and lighter fluid will soften and loosen epoxy.

If it's really sticky tape residue, well lighter fluid works even faster on that.

The good thing is Pentax leatherette is really tough stuff and can be scraped and worked over without damage.

Lighter fluid does have a drying effect on some plastics/leatherette, but its just a matter of wiping it over with a silicone based treatment to get it moisturized and looking like new again.

11-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the lighter fluid (naphtha). I have used naphtha any number of adhesives, most recently on 3M's automotive double-faced tape. It has always gotten the job done for me.
11-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Found this... "VELCROŽ Brand Pressure Sensitive Hook 88 and Loop 1000 is available on with a rubber or acrylic based adhesive which allows them to adhere well to a variety of surfaces." I assume this is acrylic. WD40 softens hardened acrylic glue and I happen to have that so gonna give Parallax's idea a go. Will dab with q-tip and try to keep it on the glue. Will check back. Thanks for the ideas!

Lighter fluid if that doesn't work.

Last edited by aj_chicago; 11-03-2021 at 04:05 PM.
11-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently had a similar problem with glue residue. "Nothing" wanted to work. I tried isopropyl alcohol, methylated spirits, acetone and ordinary household detergent.
In the end, the thing that worked was ordinary Canola cooking oil!

Not sure what that would do the leatherette though. In my case, it was glue on stainless steel, so no real danger of damaging the substrate!
11-03-2021, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I recently had a similar problem with glue residue. "Nothing" wanted to work. I tried isopropyl alcohol, methylated spirits, acetone and ordinary household detergent.
In the end, the thing that worked was ordinary Canola cooking oil!

Not sure what that would do the leatherette though. In my case, it was glue on stainless steel, so no real danger of damaging the substrate!
Ya. I see all kinds of options for hard surfaces. I read something similar and it suggested peanut butter or mayo for the oil in them. Might try some peanut butter and plastic wrap over night, but I don't have great expectations.

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 05:02 PM ----------

Well, WD40 did zero. Still hard as a rock. Didn't leave it on that long (50 min.), but I figure that if it was going to dissolve it at all it had time to do something. It didn't. I'm beginning to think this is Super Glue. I see there are Super Glue removal products out there from the Super Glue manufacturers... $6.78 free shipping. I just hate buying a product that I am NEVER going to use again, let alone not knowing if it will work.
11-03-2021, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like another job for Nose grease!

Chris
11-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When it comes to worst to remove adhesives, I have a chemical we call "Bencina" but it is NOT benzene. When I get home I'll check if it says something on the label. I've had that bottle for over 10 years and is my last resort for stubborn adhesives.

Thanks,
11-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just do a search for "Bencina", it is a petroleum distillate, consisting of pentane, hexane, and heptane molecules.
Pretty nasty stuff, so keep away from children and don't breath a lot it it!
It is "similar" to naptha or lighter fluid.

See the small green banner "es ecologico" - don't believe for a moment that "it's ecological" !

Warnings include don't inhale vapors, keep away from children, keep away from head , sparks, and flames !!!!!!!!!!!
It has a high flammability= "posee alta inflamabilidad".
Attached Images

11-03-2021, 07:28 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got home and ran to the workbench to take this crappy cell phone pic

This bottle is probably over 10 years old. I used it primarily to remove stickers and adhesive residues on diecast toy restorations. I heard a while ago in a hardware store that it was no longer available or at least was very hard to find.

I knew there was a connection: pentane + hexane = PENTAX
Yeah, I feel funny today. Must be the fumes!

Thanks,
Ismael