Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jammed Pentax KM

Hi,
I was given a partially disassembled Pentax KM. The previous owner had tried to fix an issue with overlapping frames by removing the top and bottom cover, and did not figure it out.
The shutter of this camera was fine in itself, I triggered it about 100 times and it fired fine.

When lifting the top cover myself, I noticed that the "shutter cocked" indicator (the thing that goes orange, item 05029 in the diagram below) was badly bent out of shape, so I removed it in order to straighten it a bit. Then I put it back in and took it back out a few times, as I couldn't quite figure how it was supposed to engage with the other cogs (yes, I did see the relevant chapter from the Spotmatic service manual).
At one point, with item 05029 unscrewed and removed from the camera, I wanted to wind and trip the shutter a few times to investigate how the nearby items move when the shutter is cocked and then released, so figure out how 05029 itself is supposed to move.
First time I triggered the shutter with item 05029 off, nothing strange happened.
Second time, I could advance the winder all the way, and cock the shutter, but the shutter bar would not want to depress, as if something was blocking its way down. I cocked the self timer, thinking that would help it release, but it didn't - the shutter bar just went down until it couldn't go down anymore, and got stuck there.
Thinking of what to do, I screwed back item 05029, thinking that the firing mechanism might need it somehow. Then I wiggled something around that area (beneath the speed selection dial, approximately), and the shutter fired. But the mirror remained stuck in the "up" position.
Then I wiggled something in the bottom of the camera (don't remember what exactly, sorry), and the mirror came back down.
But now the camera winder will not advance. I believe what is going on is that the previous cycle has not yet finished.
I've also made a short video which hopefully illustrates the problem better, and the state that I'm in. I'm so sorry for the stuttering, I can't seem to find my words when I'm talking about tiny camera parts.
The question is: does anybody know what exactly may be jammed? As mentioned, the curtains have fired and the mirror has gone both up and down, but the cycle is not yet complete. I've mentioned the cocked indicator not because I am certain that it is causally related to the issues I'm seeing now, but just because it might be. Some indications as to what I can disassemble to investigate further would also be helpful. What I would really want to avoid is to disassemble stuff that I don't need to. I've also refrained from lubricating anything thus far, since I'm not convinced that this is what the problem is.
Thanks for reading.

Attached Images

11-22-2021, 12:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If it's anything akin to the ME Super (and no doubt other cameras) there's a mechanical series that actuates the shutter in the bottom of the camera, in line with the winder and shutter release button.
Open up the base of the camera and see if that is moving/trying to move at all when you're trying to advance the winder.
It could be that when you've moved something in the bottom of the camera, and the mirror has released, it has affected the 'timings' of that mechanical aspect.

The portion you can see moving at the base of the camera in the opening of this video is what I'm referring to.