Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Did you hear the mirror move up/down when you took those blank shots? And I assume they are blank from no exposure as apposed to way, way over exposed?
when i did the test roll, i listened for the shutter to work each time, and for the mirror .

I made it somewhat easy because i was running the shutter at ALL speeds. started at 1/1000, worked my way down to 1 second and worked my way back.

11-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, like the other said, check the counter and write it on the cassette when changing out a partially shot roil.

I don't really like to do it if I can at all help it. Buying another camera body and having a few with different kinds of film in each is pretty affordable these days.
11-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmmaster Quote
Well the issue is that i had a new lens to test, and i swapped it twice with the one on the camera.

i did NOT fire the shutter with the lens off. I did that when i first got the camera by mistake, and lifting the mirror and firing the shutter on a canon ftb when the lens is off WILL kill any film outside of the canister, its not fun.

I also got on this roll, and randomly over the rolls i have shot, frames that are really really out in exposure. Almost a +8 but the meter was always balancing out on the needles.
Possibly an issue with the full advance mechanism.
11-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Possibly an issue with the full advance mechanism.
advance on teh canon was perfect, its a perfectly clear frame, looking under magnifying glass in better light i can see SOME dark spots appeared in these frames. so im rather confused as to whats causing it.

Its NOT like the sun flare i had on another frame in the roll so its just pissing me off.

11-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

do you swap lenses mid roll?
Of course! That is why the camera has a focal plane shutter!

Steve
11-26-2021, 09:53 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

i did NOT fire the shutter with the lens off. I did that when i first got the camera by mistake, and lifting the mirror and firing the shutter on a canon ftb when the lens is off WILL kill any film outside of the canister, its not fun.
Truly? I knew several owners of breach-lock Canons back in the day and don't remember any restrictions on lens changing. The only thing I might imagine is if the shutter is armed and fires with the lens off. (Note: I just consulted the user manual for the FTb from the Butkus site. The instructions for lens usage (pages 35 and following) are complete and should be uncomplicated with lens in hand. If there is a way to bung things up as described, it is not obvious, nor is it called out in the guide.).

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_ftb/canon_ftb.htm

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-26-2021 at 10:07 PM.
11-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
No mention of your camera model? And you are a film master?
FTb breech-lock body.

Steve

11-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

is that the best you can do at trolling? Need to spend some time at a bunch of websites i could name for you.
FWIW, Tuco is probably one of the better resource people on this site in regards to film cameras, all makes. Trolling is not his thing, though he did miss the reference to FTb camera in your post.

Steve
11-26-2021, 10:32 PM   #24
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, Tuco is probably one of the better resource people on this site in regards to film cameras, all makes. Trolling is not his thing, though he did miss the reference to FTb camera in your post.

Steve
Might have been a little mean, but if you wish we can discuss my charming love for "photography forums" in general.

And NO, i dont consider PentaxForums a "photography forum" as i dont see any one being banned for disagreeing with a moderator about the proper method to remove film from a canister for processing.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 11:43 PM ----------

when you read the FTb manual at that link, on page 18, 21, you see a diagram showing how the needles need to be balanced..

ie with the needles completely on top of each other.. Funny note, ONLY the 50 mm lens can do that.

The quirk is that you need to get the shutter needle to cross on the circle itself or to hit the spot the circle joins the needle on the aperture needle.

the photrio kids say the circle represents an entire +1/-1 of EV in the meter..
11-27-2021, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Might have been a little mean, but if you wish we can discuss my charming love for "photography forums" in general.

And NO, i dont consider PentaxForums a "photography forum" as i dont see any one being banned for disagreeing with a moderator about the proper method to remove film from a canister for processing.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 11:43 PM ----------

when you read the FTb manual at that link, on page 18, 21, you see a diagram showing how the needles need to be balanced..

ie with the needles completely on top of each other.. Funny note, ONLY the 50 mm lens can do that.

The quirk is that you need to get the shutter needle to cross on the circle itself or to hit the spot the circle joins the needle on the aperture needle.

the photrio kids say the circle represents an entire +1/-1 of EV in the meter..
It appears you know your answers...

BorisCleto'ed

Steve
11-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Canon FTbn QL and I never experienced anything like OP describes. It's a mechanical shutter with speeds from 1 to 1000, breach mount takes FL (stopped down) or FD lenses. There is a mirror lockup switch off the self timer. When it properly working, locking up the mirror and releasing the shutter with or without a lens exposes the current frame only. Removing the lens doesn't fire the shutter or advance the film in a properly working body.

11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I had a Canon FTbn QL and I never experienced anything like OP describes. It's a mechanical shutter with speeds from 1 to 1000, breach mount takes FL (stopped down) or FD lenses. There is a mirror lockup switch off the self timer. When it properly working, locking up the mirror and releasing the shutter with or without a lens exposes the current frame only. Removing the lens doesn't fire the shutter or advance the film in a properly working body.
never said the camera fired nor mirror move, have actually said those things never happened.
11-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

never said the camera fired nor mirror move, have actually said those things never happened.
Sorry, I misunderstood how mirror up was contributing to this...

"and lifting the mirror and firing the shutter on a canon ftb when the lens is off WILL kill any film outside of the canister"

I assumed this meant all the film outside the canister...not just the current frame.

11-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Never experience that in almost 50 years of shooting Pentax film cameras. Spotmatics, SF1 MX, MZ series or Auto 110.