Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Film use by dates?

Hi all, I have a couple of rolls of unused film, (probably over thirty years old!) in my camera bag.
One of the films is Kodachrome 64, the other is Tri-X. Will these still be useable?

11-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #2

If the films had been frozen, then I would have said that they might be useable. However, since they have been at room temperature or higher for 30 years, they are essentially worthless, IMHO. Even if the Kodachrome had been frozen, however, I don't think that you can get Kodachrome developed anywhere.
11-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can develop Kodachrome as a BW film I believe, but as Ausable said, you cannot get it developed in colour any more.
11-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

In have my own darkroom and would try the Tri-X, but I would rate it at 100 and then develop it ASAP using my Kodak HC-110 (the old stuff, not the newer version). If you plan on having someone else develop the film, good luck. I don't think you will get OK results. As was said earlier Kodachrome cannot be processes by any lab.

11-28-2021, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stephen_G Quote
Hi all, I have a couple of rolls of unused film, (probably over thirty years old!) in my camera bag.
One of the films is Kodachrome 64, the other is Tri-X. Will these still be useable?
For the price of a couple of rolls of film, toss them. It isn't worth your time.
11-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the case of unused film, I agree with Wheatfield.You can still buy new Tri-X.

You're probably going to have to provide for the development of either one of these yourself (you might find a B&W lab for the Tri-x). Chances are the old film will have deteriorated and you won't know if it's you or the film when you get bad results. Kodachrome developed as B&W still needs to have an extra step of removing the REMjet backing before it can be printed as B&W - toss it (or use it to train yourself how to load film reels in the dark).

https://www.adorama.com/kktx24u.html

Last edited by Bob 256; 11-28-2021 at 05:14 PM.
11-28-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For old films the storage is possibly more important than age. If a film spent time in the car glove box, using it will be a waste of time and resources. Exposed kodachrome that might have something of family of historical importance is one thing. Shooting unexposed Kodachrome is a waste of time in my opinion.

11-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've just developed Fujicolor 100 which had been loaded in a Ricoh P&S since 1992. It was still OK.

As for Kodachrome, it's still possible to develop yourself. But looks like it would be a labour of love:
https://emulsive.org/articles/darkroom/developing-film/they-took-my-kodachro...rought-it-back

Or you could star in your own movie:

Or documentary:

Or just cut your losses.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 11-29-2021 at 12:26 AM. Reason: HTML links didn't work
11-29-2021, 02:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your advice.
11-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with this. Depending on the storage conditions you might still get results. But it’s highly unusual to see good ones. Toss the slide roll. Not worth the time/money.
11-29-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought a camera out of boredom. It turned out to be a dud. But it came with a few rolls of 22-year old Tri-X and who-knows-how-expired Fuji color film. I shot 5 frames of the Tri-X to check how to meter it. These frames were then developed in D76 1:1 20°C for 9:45 (same dev time for fresh Tri-X). I ended up shooting the rest of the roll metering at 64 ISO.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTnP-XSvxf4
11-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I recently bought a camera out of boredom. It turned out to be a dud. But it came with a few rolls of 22-year old Tri-X and who-knows-how-expired Fuji color film. I shot 5 frames of the Tri-X to check how to meter it. These frames were then developed in D76 1:1 20°C for 9:45 (same dev time for fresh Tri-X). I ended up shooting the rest of the roll metering at 64 ISO.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTnP-XSvxf4
Thanks for that information, really intersting insight.
Unfortunately I don't have access to developing and priniting, so I will have to abandon the toll of Tri X

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 02:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Good luck with this. Depending on the storage conditions you might still get results. But it’s highly unusual to see good ones. Toss the slide roll. Not worth the time/money.
Thanks for the advice, will do. I will get some new film though as I want to continue using that medium along with a DSLR when I get it.

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 02:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Thanks for the advice, will do. I will get some new film though as I want to continue using that medium along with a DSLR when I get it.
11-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can explore a range of films that are out there.

Tri-X was a classic and still exists, but there are quite a few other B&W options to look at.

Color films have few slide film options these days (alas, Kodachrome was a great slide film, but is no more). Ektachome is in production again and should work if you want slides. There are several color negative options as well as motion picture film (normally developed as a positive) developed as negative film. The latter is mostly for niche use as regular color negative films will yield the best color and can be developed by most any lab.

Check B&H and the following links and if you have a particular interest, use their search function. Amazon also offers a lot of films through second sources.

Good luck in your photo interests.

Home | Freestyle Photo & Imaging.

https://www.uniquephoto.com/film-cameras-and-supplies/film
11-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Bob, thanks for your kind reply which was very helpful.

Stephen
11-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found a roll of Delta 400 620 (really 120 with the spool ground down by the folks at Blue Moon) in an old Kodak. It was 10 years out of date.

I shot the rest of it and had it developed. The half a roll I'd shot 10+ years ago looked fine. The recent shots were rubbish and poorly exposed.

I have no idea how that worked...

-Eric