Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K1000 mirror charge lever

I have a K1000 with the advance lever stuck at the top of the sweep. Shutter button semi-depressed Can't see anything obvious. Found "how-to" for related issues, but not this one. Any suggestions please?

TIA

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (1st generation)  Photo 
12-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The image in my attachment shows the mechanism of the Spotmatic, which is almost equal to the one of the K1000. What you need to do is remove the circlip at arrow 1, lift the L-shaped lever, clean the inside of the lever and the stud it sits on. Apply a little oil to the stud and/or the lever. Then put the lever back in place, while at the same time moving the spring (arrow 2) behind the lever in the direction of the big black gear. Then put the circlip back in place.
Attached Images

12-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K1000 mirror charge lever

It’s not anything wrong down below. The mirror is charged, curtains set. My suspicion is the release rod up top, that particular issue on Spotmatics was usually a jammed self timer.
For the camera shutter to open, the mirror has to be tensioned and when it clears the focal aperture it releases the first curtain.
Pull the top cover and clear the jam.

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both!

12-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
The image in my attachment shows the mechanism of the Spotmatic, which is almost equal to the one of the K1000. What you need to do is remove the circlip at arrow 1, lift the L-shaped lever, clean the inside of the lever and the stud it sits on. Apply a little oil to the stud and/or the lever. Then put the lever back in place, while at the same time moving the spring (arrow 2) behind the lever in the direction of the big black gear. Then put the circlip back in place.
Thank you for the suggestion. Sadly, it did't make a difference.
12-31-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you made progress with this? I had a similar problem with a KM and didn't get to the bottom of it. I agree with @MikeMcE, sounds like the problem is most likely up top, during the first part of the cycle. In my case, I could trigger the shutter release if I tried to advance the film (and therefore put some pressure on the cogs) at the same time. I think a lever got bent or something. Anyway, it may be worth sending the camera for an overhaul rather than trying to fix it yourself, before it's too late and you do more harm by accident. IMO, DYI fixes for SLRs are overhyped and it's never mentioned that they're temporary and that the proper fix is never easy. K1000 cameras, like the Spotmatics they inherit the mechanics from, are wonderful if they're serviced properly.
01-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the additional follow up.