Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super - Shutter cock problems

Hey!

This is my first post on these forums, so forgive me if I've posted in the incorrect area.

I recently acquired a Pentax ME-Super that came with two lenses:

SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm

Tamron 1:25 28mm

I've come across a problem where having the SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm lens mounted doesn't play nicely. When I cock the camera to fire, the lever catches the lense correctly and I can fire it off once, but then winding the camera to the next slide of film, the camera won't cock the shutter so pressing the button doesn't do anything. Sometimes I'll need to take the lens off to get the mirror down.

However, when the 28mm Tamron lens is on the body, the camera works completely fine. Cocks fine, catches the catch and can fire off shots over and over, really happy with the 28mm

The only distinct differences I can see between the two lenses are the shape of the small level that catches the shutter catch?

See the attached images! Hopefully, someone might be able to help out from similar experiences.

Attached Images

12-08-2021, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #2

The lever is "flat" on all my K-mount lenses - Pentax branded and otherwise.

Does the lever on the Pentax lens move smoothly and snap back on spring without hesitation?
12-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Wow! Prompt response, thank you.

So, I had a fiddle about with both the lens to test the springs and have made an interesting discovery:

On the Tamron (The lense that works), if I take it off and fully open the aperture rings, the lever can still be moved and bounces back with the spring. The same happens when the aperture is fully closed.

However, on the Pentax lens, if I fully open the aperture, the lever moves and can't be moved back. With the aperture closed, the spring functions as expected and will bounce the lever back.

Can send a video if need be
12-08-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My guess it that its not the lens. Perhaps they might have different tension but the main culprit is couple of levers in the mirror-box, and a ring bumper gone. I did repair mine a couple of years ago, but it was tiresome. there is a complete pdf guide on how to perform this operation if you search a bit.

12-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
If anyone happens to have a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm laying around and wants to run a test to see if the lever springs back when the aperture is fully open, that'd be amazing!
12-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

I just tested it to be sure, on both the M and A 50 1.7, but as expected, both levers jump back to their original position.

The choice is between repairing the aperture spring inside the lens or try to get hold on a 'new' one, I'm afraid.

In this YouTube video you'll see how deep inside you have to get, to find the spring that needs to bee fixed. It starts at 7.40. For the full length please watch this video.
12-10-2021, 02:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well I've just checked on 4 of my Pentax primes, including the M50 f/1.7 and with the aperture set to the smallest, the lever of course springs back with the aperture blades but with the aperture set fully open, there is no movement in the levers at all. I think this is how its supposed to be.

12-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #8

That's normal at wide open. The lever will be at the extreme with no where else to go.