Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Pentax S3 clip on light meter S3 body..

Hi new to the forum but have had my Pena spotmatic a while and a nice set of lenses. I got myself a nice deal on a Pentax S3 with a few lenses as well as the Clip on meter for that body.
It said it was supposed to work but when i got it i could not get it to work at all. It had a battery in there already but it might just be that it had stopped working, not really sure. So im hunting for a new one now and read that you could use a newer battery instead of the mercury original ones but that i had to compensate for that a few stops because of the voltage.
So i guess first of all i would like some good suggestions for which battery would be the best bet to make this meter work?
And also what is the most common problem with these? Might it be something else not working? I noticed a small copper piece being loose together with the battery when i opened it, maybe it had been used to help conduct to the newer battery to make that work, not sure either. But it came loose like it had been loose in there together with that battery but fell out when i was taking the battery out.
/Martin.

12-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, the copper piece was likely an "adapter". Just buy another batter of the same number you removed and put it back like it was with the copper piece- then check it and see if it works.

I doubt you will need to compensate , just do a battery check and if in the "green" - go. Film has enough latitude to compensate!
12-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, yeh i thought that must have been the case. Just a follow up question, there are two small "connectors" to lead power, the one on the "wall" of the battery chamber and the one on the bottom facing the "flor" of the compartment. Which one do you think the small copper piece would have been put against if you had a guess? I have tried putting it in back there against both but not totally sure how it was placed to begin with. Nothing happens. Also my meter does not have the green button to check battery unfortunately which is a bit strange since i saw most of the ones i have seen fro others had it on their meter. Typical hehe.
And also would the meter work without being placed on the camera if it is working at all? Or do i have to attach it to the camera first? Im guessing no since the camera itself has no battery etc.
/Regards Martin.
12-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Yes, the copper piece was likely an "adapter". Just buy another batter of the same number you removed and put it back like it was with the copper piece- then check it and see if it works.

I doubt you will need to compensate , just do a battery check and if in the "green" - go. Film has enough latitude to compensate!
I started moving it around. And actually got it to work. Was like you said, the copper piece was supposed to be inserted between the compartment one the floor of the chamber under the battery, and suddenly it started working! Not sure its very reliable yet, not much light to work with here in sweden at this time day, but will check it tomorrow hehe
Thank you for you help, Martin.

03-22-2024, 06:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know that this is an old thread, but I had the same issue with the new version of the PX625 battery making contact inside the housing. My meter (from an H1a) does not have the battery check setting either. My solution was to fold up an arc of aluminum foil roughly as tall as the rim of the battery, and tucked it in beside the battery, wedged against the side terminal. Don't know if the meter is remotely accurate; it was dim all day here, but it's "live." FWIW, (+) goes up (the side of the battery with the markings).