Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Super Program -- totally broken or me stupid?

I've got a pile of old Pentax film cameras here that I'm gonna put up for sale and am testing what I can. One of them is a Super Program and it seems completely non-functional to me. The shutter is either already cocked or won't cock, but the shutter will not fire. I put batteries in it (that work on other cameras I'm testing) and get no anything from those either -- no lights, no LEDS, nothing happening. Is this camera 100% broken (it seems quite clean and unworn otherwise) or is there some trick to it?

12-21-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've got a pile of old Pentax film cameras here that I'm gonna put up for sale and am testing what I can. One of them is a Super Program and it seems completely non-functional to me. The shutter is either already cocked or won't cock, but the shutter will not fire. I put batteries in it (that work on other cameras I'm testing) and get no anything from those either -- no lights, no LEDS, nothing happening. Is this camera 100% broken (it seems quite clean and unworn otherwise) or is there some trick to it?
It could be dirty battery contacts which you can try and cleaning. Also move the shutter mode dial back and forth a few times to see if that helps.

I had my Super A do what you describe and I sent it to Eric, he fixed it and it's been OK since. (He said it was dirty contacts, but did not elaborate where)

Otherwise it may have bad electronics and bit the dust..

Phil.
12-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Change the knob on the right from L to 125, and it should fire manually.
Are the batteries in the correct orientation?

The button on the lower left of the lens mount (when you are behind the camera) should light up the yellow LED at top of pentaprism.
12-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nope. Won't fire at any position. No lights or LEDS whatsoever.

12-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

Check and clean the battery terminals including the cap. As I recall the Program series will only release the shutter with batteries and powered on. There is no mechanical shutter when set to 125× which to set the flash sync speed when using non-dedicated flashes.

If the battery compartment is badly corroded the corrosion may have eaten through the connecting wire. Some splicing and soldering might be needed.
12-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No corrosion visible -- everything shiny and clean. I'm not necessarily using the right battery cover as they've gotten mixed up between models but I've tried several and put the batteries in the other way, etc. Looking closely now I see some green corrisione-type gunk on the front of the camera in the edge to the right of "Super Program" and that screw is rusty. Maybe some internal water damage. Quite clean otherwise. Oh well. Sell it for parts.
12-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #7

I noticed Asahi Pentax changed the polarity between models - some caps have a (+) and some have (-). The minus pole (small button) might not make contact with a (+) cap if the minus pole on the battery is pointing away from the camera.

The user manual shows the plus pole goes into the camera so you would need a (-) cap. Try gently prying up the battery contact in the compartment so it will put more pressure on the cap.

12-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I noticed Asahi Pentax changed the polarity between models - some caps have a (+) and some have (-). The minus pole (small button) might not make contact with a (+) cap if the minus pole on the battery is pointing away from the camera.

The user manual shows the plus pole goes into the camera so you would need a (-) cap. Try gently prying up the battery contact in the compartment so it will put more pressure on the cap.
Good point. I'll try again a few times with the batteries and see if I can get it to come to life.
12-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was convinced mine was toast back when I still used film on a semi regular basis, and bought another. Turned out I had the batteries in wrong.
Kristian