Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2021, 12:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LX acting up

I have resurrected my two LXes from the closet recently. Both are exhibiting the same problem. With no film in the camera, they work perfectly with all shutter speeds where they should be and no shutter hangups. However, with film loaded, it takes extreme downward force on the shutter release to trigger the shutter. I plan on sending these to Eric next year for a needed CLA but just wondered if anyone has run into this before and if there is something I can do to fix it. - Jack

12-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have not experienced those symptoms on any camera - including my two LXs, and cannot imagine film loaded/unloaded affecting shutter release. Hope it gets sorted out.
12-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it possible there's some extra tension from winding the film - and not fully completing the cycle - that's blocking something in the release?

-Eric
12-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Is it possible there's some extra tension from winding the film - and not fully completing the cycle - that's blocking something in the release?

-Eric
I’d be thinking along those lines, too, as I can’t remember ever experiencing this with any camera, including my LX. Usually, though, you can’t depress the shutter button is the film isn’t fully advanced, but with wear that may allow it.

12-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That sounds logical. Thanks for the input. I will experiment further.
12-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think it is just a case of not being used for a long time. The shutter actually trips but it is in slow motion with the mirror raising very slowly before tripping. Perhaps a bit of sticky mirror as well. Should improve with use. - Jack
12-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I think it is just a case of not being used for a long time. The shutter actually trips but it is in slow motion with the mirror raising very slowly before tripping. Perhaps a bit of sticky mirror as well. Should improve with use. - Jack
Does exercising the mirror with the MLU before releasing the shutter change anything?

12-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One body is loosening up noticeably while the other is still lagging. Working the MLU helps so I think it points to lack of use as the culprit.
12-25-2021, 03:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
One body is loosening up noticeably while the other is still lagging. Working the MLU helps so I think it points to lack of use as the culprit.
That’s good news. A good CLA could be in order, nonetheless.