Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #1

Shutter cocked or not when stored

It’s the usual question, but I recently bought a new old stock Ricoh XR Solar (in kit with its mint new old stock Rikenon 55 1.2, see my post in an Italian forum: Scimmia 55 1.2 Cosina, Ricoh, Revue o Porst? - Pagina 2 - Analogica.it) and in the box I found this warning that means: “please store this camera always with shutter cocked”.
This Ricoh XR Solar is based on the old Cosina CT1 and has a Copal shutter and I recall that the suggestion for Nikons FE/FM was to leave the shutter released. Now I am confused.
What about our Seiko shutters in Pentax M, A, P bodies ?
Ben

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air (4th generation)  Photo 
01-30-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Follow the instructions in the box for your XR Solar. They likely have to do with the solar feature. As for other cameras, whether to store cocked has been a matter of ongoing discussion. I tend to leave my cameras stored uncocked, particularly those with leaf shutters, but I am sure there are arguments both was for various models.

Steve
01-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
The camera is 100% mechanic, the solar panel are there just to feed a capacitor for the light meter, so I believe that the shutter cocked suggestion has (had) to do with the tendency of the mechanism to slip and not cocking the shutter, which is typical for aged Pentax M series bodies.
01-30-2022, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #4

A cloth shutter should be left uncocked as much as possible. Keeping it cocked puts tension on the shutter tapes/ribbons causing them to stretch. This will affect the timing if there is slack in the tapes.

01-31-2022, 10:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leaving a shutter cocked leaves tension on all the springs in the shutter. That generally is not good. That is why Pentax designed the 67 to leave the shutter uncocked at the end of a roll.
02-14-2022, 10:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If for a couple days it'll be fine (like if you have a roll of film still in the camera & you know you'll be finishing in a short time), but for anything mid- to long term, like Pentaxus & Not a Number said, its best to leave it uncocked.