Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax SF1n – frozen shutter?

I recently bought a second body of the Pentax SF1n and shot a roll mostly outdoors in subzero temperatures. Only 22 of 36 frames turned out properly.
During my last outing the temperature was around -10C. I shot 12 frames and only the first 3 were OK.
I received the scans from the lab but not the film. The lab employee told me on the phone that "other frames turned out either too dark or weren't registered at all".
Can it be due to the shutter freezing in low temperatures? The camera is about 35 y.o. Did anyone experience such a problem?

02-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
-10C is at the limit for low temperature operation so that might be the problem. In addition 35 year old lubrication won't perform as originally intended. Cameras for extended use in low temperatures were normally serviced with different greases appropriate for thos low temperatures. One thing you can check is battery health, low temperatures kill battery performance quickly which sounds like what happened when your first few shots were OK but later ones not as the camera and batteries cooled.
02-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A non electronic camera is better in the cold, like the KX which is rated to -20C. Using the EverReady case will help a bit, as kind of like a sweater for the body.

Also cameras like the LX and 6x7/67 have external battery warmers, which also help.

Phil.