Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #16

You could send the camera to NSB Tekunos in Japan - former Pentax techs own and run the company. They will repair the MZ-S.

Or order a compatible gear from KKPMO if you want to DIY. Changing the gear is about the same amount of work as replacing the motor (if you can find one) you might be able to do it without soldering/de-soldering. A pinion gear puller would help but you can do it with a screw driver if you care patient and careful.

My old-New MZ-S After Returning From Repair - PentaxForums.com

02-25-2022, 05:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Besides, half the fun (for me) with using film is doing things manually. The more a film camera handles like a dSLR the less I am interested in it.
I agree there but in the last few years I have found AF to be very valuable due to having kids. I also like having fast maximum shutter speeds (1/8000s if possible) as it means I can shoot the same film indoors and outdoors in the sun with the larger apertures I like, and you don't really get anything over 1/2000s absolute maximum in old manual cameras. Most only go to 1/1000s. I think the Nikon FM2 goes to 1/4000s and that's the only manual camera I'm aware of that can do that, and they're very expensive.

When I shoot just for enjoyment I prefer something big, heavy and fully manual and use a film that gets me the aperture values I want in just one environment.