Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2022, 05:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cold weather and old film bodies

Both my MX and Spotmatic play up when its cold. Once the needle hits 2°c the curtain sticks. Not every time but enough to drive you mad. I have had the MX professionally CLA'd and still it does it. Is this something that just happens with old cameras or do I need to send it back to Asahi photo?

02-21-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would think any camera repair / service should be able to look at it. I would not try to deal with the manufacturer 40+ years after the product was made. The manufacturer doesn't even exist.

Asahi stopped existing about 10 years ago and even at that time is was part of hoya. The Pentax brand is now owned by Ricoh.
02-21-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I would think any camera repair / service should be able to look at it. I would not try to deal with the manufacturer 40+ years after the product was made. The manufacturer doesn't even exist.

Asahi stopped existing about 10 years ago and even at that time is was part of hoya. The Pentax brand is now owned by Ricoh.
Slight confusion there Asahi photo is an engineer in the UK who repairs Pentax cameras
02-21-2022, 06:26 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you missed a category for some of us

cold weather and old film bodies

02-21-2022, 07:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In extreme cold weather standard lubricants used may become too viscous.
Lighter lubricants may perform better but may not be adequate for normal use.

Once many major camera manufacturers had a professional services department
which could prepare camera bodies, lenses, motors etc. for use in harsh conditions.

Chris
02-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the MX when it just hit the market, and it was famous of its handling in very cold conditions.
I used it without any problems in -20 degrees Celsius (specs was even -25 if i remember right).
So it must be the grease/lubricant is getting old. Don't know what they used in production, but if you could renew the grease (if that is even possible) you could fix the problem.
02-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the MX and shoot it at 2C, and at even the lowerr temps which are common all winter long here in Central Pennsylvania. I've had zero problems with mine, or my other film cameras for that matter. It does sound like a lube problem, however. Mine was repaired(light meter) and CLA'd by Eric Hendrickson, who does excellent work of course.

02-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I seem to recall an article in an old photo magazine talking about pro photogs getting their cameras and lenses relubricated for use sub zero weather!

I used my Pentax LX out in slightly below freezing weather a few times and it didn't seem to be a problem.

However in your case - above freezing, perhaps keeping it inside your jacket until needed. I wonder if you can use those heated socks and somehow wrap around the body and lens?
02-21-2022, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those old manual focus Pentax film bodies are rated for use down to -20C. I've used my KX in even colder weather and it's been fine, my hands were not........

Phil.
02-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Both my MX and Spotmatic play up when its cold. Once the needle hits 2°c the curtain sticks. Not every time but enough to drive you mad. I have had the MX professionally CLA'd and still it does it. Is this something that just happens with old cameras or do I need to send it back to Asahi photo?
My Spottie stopped doing it this winter after it came back from the "Eric-SPA"

A good service will relube the camera with modern lubricant and should improve the behavior
02-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Those old manual focus Pentax film bodies are rated for use down to -20C. I've used my KX in even colder weather and it's been fine, my hands were not........

Phil.
This ^ ^ ^

If there are issues at 2°C, the camera is either in need of service or was improperly CLA'd. Page 33 of the MX manual has helpful advice for that camera.

Steve
02-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

... I have had the MX professionally CLA'd and still it does it.
Maybe ask them about the lubricant that was used.
02-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Both my MX and Spotmatic play up when its cold.
I remember borrowing my dad's Spotmatic at a school trip in th early 80ies. The curtain got stuck when we were out on an excursion in about -30°C. It worked fine again as soon as the temperature climbed a few degrees.
02-21-2022, 02:28 PM   #14

I would suspect the lubricants used in the CLA are not rated for the same temperature range as the originals.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Maybe ask them about the lubricant that was used.
02-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
My Spottie stopped doing it this winter after it came back from the "Eric-SPA"

A good service will relube the camera with modern lubricant and should improve the behavior
Ditto for my SV, first cold snap it became very apparent a spa day with Eric was required.
Two winters later it still handles well in -10C.