Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2022, 09:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got my Spottie back from Eric. Looks and works like brand new. Recommended.

05-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #17

Original Poster
OK, I'm convinced. Going to send in my KX for service...
05-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #18

I recently sent my K1000 off to Eric for service two weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet. What is the turn around time from him?
05-28-2022, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience was about three weeks door-to-door. His email reply address to you is: Intuit E-Commerce Service. You might have to check your “Junk Mail” box.

Basil

05-29-2022, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mkirk Quote
I recently sent my K1000 off to Eric for service two weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet. What is the turn around time from him?
Really depends on his workload and how much service yours needs. Basic CLAs are quick. Repairs can be longer.
For me it's usually been 2-3 weeks or up to 6 or 7 for one particular problematic case.
05-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #21

Thanks for the responses. I saw where it was picked up from the Post Office via the tracking system. Although, I haven't gotten an estimate from him yet. I remember a few years ago that he stopped taking new customers because of a backlog of cameras, so I was thinking he might have a big workload this time of year being close to graduation and new photography students starting college or something like that - man is a rationalizing animal, LOL!
05-29-2022, 11:42 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been dealing with Eric Hendrickson for over 20 years.
I always email to ask before sending repairs.

I include a packing slip with serial number(s) and problem/requested service.
I send a duplicate copy to Eric's email address when shipped.

If I haven't received an invoice within two weeks I will email Eric.
I have only had to follow up once maybe twice in dozens of repairs.

I recommend Eric's work without question.

Chris

05-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always email to ask before sending repairs
Thankfully, I did ask if he was still performing repairs before I sent my camera off. I also included a typed letter with my contact information, camera serial number, etc. I didn't think to email a duplicate, but I did print a label with my contact info on it and stick it to the camera. It's not quite two weeks yet, so I'll wait a few days and do as you recommend and send a duplicate of my typed letter in an email (because I'm a worrier ).
05-31-2022, 07:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Added this to the other recent MX vs LX thread ongoing but this seems like a good place to plant this info as well...
Eric Hendrickson will not service LX cameras any longer. Just got a definitive answer back from him a couple days ago.
06-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall having a conversation with Eric years ago regarding Pentax LX service.

When a Pentax LX body is disassembled the special body seals must be replaced.
Not made in years, the supply of Pentax LX body seals is likely now exhausted.

LX owners can look for another repairman who will repair without replacing seals.

Chris
06-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #26

Original Poster
Well, I finally got around to packing and shipping my KX off to Eric. Looking forward to shooting with it again once it's been serviced.
07-01-2022, 02:59 PM   #27

I got my K100 back from Eric and was not pleased. Two weeks after I sent it to him, I had not received an estimate, so I emailed him. He was very short with me, asking when I paid? I didn't know how much to pay, hence, I needed an estimate. He eventually found my camera and emailed me an invoice for $72. I paid it and it wasn't long, I got the camera back BUT the viewfinder came back dirtier than when I sent it to him! There was a slight haze over it that needed cleaning off, but he made things worse. There was a splatter of something (grease? Oil?) on the prism and wipe marks where he didn't clean properly. I followed the repair instruction from Romping Bronco on YouTube and fixed the viewfinder/prism myself. While disassembling, I discovered he also lost a screw on my film advance lever! There should be three, but he only put two back in. There was no lubrication added to anything inside the camera - dry as a bone. I was very displeased. He charged me over $70 for this "service." I will never send him another camera of mine again. Very displeased! Most people never open a camera after he "repairs" it, so they never know they were conned. He did install new light seals and a mirror bumper.

I had read from others that he was rude and I agree. I don't trust the man. I believe he is too old to repair anything. Perhaps the woman he was training needs to take over now.
07-01-2022, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
I started this thread so I guess I'll chime in.

I sent my KX to Eric for a CLA and he sent me an estimate shortly after the camera was delivered to him. I paid for the service using PayPal and the camera was returned to me promptly thereafter and seems to be in good working order - in fact, it showed up unannounced on my doorstep less than two weeks after I sent it to him, which was a pleasant surprise.

I've only just loaded a roll of film into it and haven't finished it yet so can't fully assess the work. I'll post back once I've processed the roll to see if the shutter speeds look better than before the CLA - they seemed a bit off which is why I sent him the camera in the first place.
07-02-2022, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I expect some here may have somewhat unrealistic expectations.
Not all problems with 40+ year-old cameras can be repaired, e.g. cosmetic defects.

Over 20 years I have had great success with Eric Hendrickson's service.
I have sent him perhaps 25 Pentax bodies and a dozen or more lenses.
IIRC I had to send just one body back to repair an additional operational problem that occurred.
That said practically everything I sent was in good condition, not some eBay junker.

When you send Eric a camera or lens be specific about what you want done.
He will let you know what is possible at reasonable price.

If a problem is unresolved or some new problem develops send Eric an email.
Be patient for a reply. He is an old-school repairman, but not some ogre.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-10-2022 at 07:15 AM.
07-02-2022, 03:54 PM   #30

Quality of service was not good for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

When you send Eric a camera or lens be specific about what you want done.
He will let you know what is possible at reasonable price.
I sent a very detailed letter, telling him that my viewfinder had some haze I wanted cleaned off and the focusing screen had a few black spots (old foam). When I got it back, there were more black specks and a splatter of something on it. It was dirtier than it was! He also told me that he lubricated the film transport, but when I was disassembling, the old, dry oil/grease was still there - no fresh lubrication at all. You may have had good service from him, but did not.