Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2022, 04:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Jeweller's screwdrivers

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know this is an odd off-topic question to ask but I'm sure someone, somewhere in the film-related section of the fora made a recommendation...

I need to purchase some good quality jeweller's screwdrivers. All the ones I have at home are cheap and cheerful and made of monkey metal, and I have a task where I really don't want to mess-up the screw-head. Specifically, I need a very small Philips screwdriver, although I'm game to buy a set as I am sure I'll need them for other purposes later.

Best wishes, Kris.

03-11-2022, 05:01 AM   #2

Wera 05134000001 Kraftform Micro Big Pack 1 Screwdriver Set : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
03-11-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I use Wiha. No problems so far.
03-11-2022, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wera, Wiha, Vessel would all be good names.

03-11-2022, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I'll look those up.
03-11-2022, 05:55 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If camera related just check if you need JIS or Phillips head as they look similar
03-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
If camera related just check if you need JIS or Phillips head as they look similar
The manual says Philips, but annoyingly doesn't state which size (really small I can see for myself). I've ordered a set so hopefully one will fit.

Thanks, Kris.

03-11-2022, 07:28 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

You want JIS (Japanese) cross heads for pentax cameras
I bought a Kit (Anex brand) from Japan, and they are very good quality
Vessel are also excellent, get a 0000, 000, 00 JIS cross set

Last edited by titrisol; 03-11-2022 at 07:36 AM.
03-11-2022, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #9

JIS Drivers are compatible with Philips head screws. Philips drivers are not completely compatible with JIS screws. You're more likely to damage JIS screws with a Philips driver than the other way around.
03-11-2022, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The manual says Philips
People, including writers of manuals, too often use the term "Philips screws" to be the generic term for cross-head screws. It is a pet peeve of mine, as there are several different types of cross head screws of which Philips is only one, albeit the worst.

I have heard that Philips screwdrivers were deliberately designed to ride up out of the screw in order to stop too much torque being applied (but chews up the screw head on the way out and scratches the surrounding surface instead), and it was really meant for mechanised assembly lines. Maybe an urban myth, but they certainly tend to act that way. As the patent on Philips screws expired some years ago they are used by cheap manufacturers, especially of toys.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 03-11-2022 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Tpyo
03-11-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a good set of Starrett (S555 set of 6). A set of JIS drivers from Japan-Tools (TD-56S), a set of Moody JIS with interchangable blades, another Moody set of slotted screwdrivers, and a few sets of Wiha drivers...some fixed handle and others interchangable. The ones I can't do without are the Starrett 551 and 552, which are hard to come by these days and replacement places run $40+ if you can find them. They're thin blades that are needed with older german cameras, like Exakta.

03-11-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use Moody for both JIS and slotted.

Steve
03-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and recommend the Moody JIS. Only one I've tried.
03-27-2023, 11:32 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Pentax DSLR you need JIS crosshead screwdrivers.
I have tried many of them but particular if you need to get into the battery compartment and if you need to unscrew the solenoid, the longer

VESSEL 9902 precision screwdrivers

are the best.

Made in Japan, their heads last very long. I have tried Moody tools which are not bad but I prefer the Vessels.

I know a few Motorbikers who were quite relieved when they JIS screwdrivers for their Japanse motorbikes if crosshead was needed!
I have replaced all my larger WIHA and WERA PH crossheads with JIS as well (again Vessel which are never overprices)

One can always use JIS instead of PH, they fit perfectly, but shouldn't do it the otherway round.

No matter what anybody says, Phillips is now NOT JIS!

Wera Kraftform, as nice as they look, are no longer made in Germany but China and aren't JIS either but PH.
Using PH instead of JIS does damage the screws (and screwdriver)

Last edited by photogem; 03-28-2023 at 05:37 AM.
04-24-2023, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Catching-up on an old thread. Many thanks for the advice. I bought a small set of Vessel screwdrivers and one of them undid the screw in question with no problems. I also managed to undo the battery compartment of a novelty clock that my mother gave me about 30 years ago. I was very pleased the battery hadn't leaked all over the clock mechanism and have now ordered a replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed the clock still works after all this time.

Best wishes, Kris.