Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2022, 10:41 PM   #1

Where to send an LX for repair?

Mine has a sticky mirror and just generally could use a good cleaning and lube. I shot Eric Hendrickson an email asking if he worked on them, but apparently he doesn't anymore, and I'm not sure of anyone else who works on them. As far as I can tell, the electronics are good on it at least.

Any recommendations or ideas?

03-14-2022, 12:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flameslicer Quote
Mine has a sticky mirror and just generally could use a good cleaning and lube. I shot Eric Hendrickson an email asking if he worked on them, but apparently he doesn't anymore, and I'm not sure of anyone else who works on them. As far as I can tell, the electronics are good on it at least.

Any recommendations or ideas?
Greetings! This is a very international forum so it would be useful if you let folks know where you are and how far you're willing to send your camera!
03-14-2022, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
. . . if you let folks know where you are and how far you're willing to send your camera!
the OP's profile information indicates the US

@flameslicer

follow this link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-pent...ml#post3566309

for links to the business listed below, they may be able to help out:

QuoteQuote:
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
I have used Phototronic here in Topeka, Kansas

Camera Repair - phototronic.biz

QuoteQuote:
(785) 233 0231
Free Estimates
Classic and Vintage Camera Repair, Digital Camera Repair, Lens Repair,
also Repairing -- Camcorders and all eras of Photographic Equipment and Vintage Audio Visual Equipment
he is a one man shop open M-F 12:30 - 6 PM

I recommend giving him a call

by the way, welcome to the forums.

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

have you found this thread yet ?

QuoteQuote:
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread
I recently acquired an LX from a forum member and I sought information and answers about the LX and here is what I have found . . .
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/419204-sour...ml#post5190436

It may be of interest to a LX owner

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-14-2022 at 04:53 AM.
03-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Greetings! This is a very international forum so it would be useful if you let folks know where you are and how far you're willing to send your camera!
I probably should have kept that in mind when making the original post! As aslyfox had surmised, I'm in the US. Michigan specifically, but I'm fine sending the camera as far as I'd need to to get it repaired, even if that'd need to be international.

03-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #5

Try Advanced Camera in Oregon. They used to work on them. I think the main problem is when you open up the camera the weather seals need to be replaced and once the supply of these dries up working on the camera becomes more difficult. This is probably why Erik no longer works on them.
03-14-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try Advanced Camera in Oregon. They used to work on them. I think the main problem is when you open up the camera the weather seals need to be replaced and once the supply of these dries up working on the camera becomes more difficult. This is probably why Erik no longer works on them.
Eric has been hinting retirement for a couple of years now.
03-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the same vein, did Eric trained a successor to repair these cameras? I though I read something about that a while ago. At any rate, the resurgence of film photography as a niche segment in the general photography marketplace guarantees that a highly skilled and reasonably pricing repair technician may get a nice flow of clientele. Keep me in the loop as well, friends.

04-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #8

I know this is a bit off topic, but for the benefit of Australian readers, I got my LX repaired by Vintech in Melbourne about 3 years ago. Had the sticky mirror issue. Was not cheap, but they did a complete overhaul of the camera.
04-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #9

To add to the information in this thread - Jim Holman at ICT Camera in San Diego just did a sticky mirror repair and full CLA on my LX. Cost including insured return shipping to me was $250. Even though Jim is mainly a Nikon guy, he is quite good at working on LX's.

Last edited by gr8tdane24; 04-15-2022 at 07:05 PM.
04-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by gr8tdane24 Quote
To add to the information in this thread - Jim Holman at ICT Camera in San Diego just did a sticky mirror repair and full CLA on my LX. Cost including insured return shipping to me was $250. Even though Jim is mainly a Nikon guy, he is quite good at working on LX's.
This is great to know. 250 all told is not bad. Mine is going to be due for a CLA sooner than I'd like here. What was the turnaround time like?
04-28-2022, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by chrodo7 Quote
This is great to know. 250 all told is not bad. Mine is going to be due for a CLA sooner than I'd like here. What was the turnaround time like?
Turnaround was about two weeks for me.