Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-05-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax MZ-3 Autofocus issues

My MZ-3 doesn't autofocus anymore. I hear the motor trying to work, the lens attempts to rack focus, but moves only a small jitter.

I've tried looking online for explanations, but I don't know what's causing this.

Any help or recommendations?

04-05-2022, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First take the lens off the camera and with a small slotted screwdriver turn the focussing control on the rear of the lens. If this is stiff the problem is with the lens not the camera.

Second, try another lens if you have one.

Also take the lens off and look at the AF mechanism on the camera's mount. Operate the AF/MF switch to make sure that the screw drive mechanism retracts properly under MF and protrudes under AF.

Regards

Chris
04-05-2022, 11:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've checked the lens and the focusing slot turns fine, so it should be the camera body that is seizing up.

The AF/MF retracts the screw properly
04-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

Does the lens have an aperture ring and is it set to "A". If not, try cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera body.

Do you have another AF lens? Does it work on the body? If it does, than likely the first lens is at fault.

Are the batteries fresh? If run down, they may not supply enough current to power the motor.

It's possible the focus motor or drive train in the camera has gone bad. Trying different lenses would at least tell you if the camera body is at fault.

If the camera is bad it may not be worth repairing.