Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

Looking for a second body

Hi there, I'm looking for a second body to compliment my K1000 but have a few more features like DOF preview etc.. What would be the best pick out of the mechanical cameras like the MX, KX, K2 etc.. in terms of reliability and price?

Are there any places you would recommend for buying vintage film cameras in the UK that give them a check over before selling? I'd rather avoid ebay although I have picked up a few good deals there in the past.

04-22-2022, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want all mechanical, there’s a bit of a philosophical schism here between the KX and the MX.
You can’t really go wrong either way…

The MX is smaller, with a larger viewfinder.
The KX is just like a K1000 with extra features.

-Eric
04-23-2022, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Then consider - in alphabetical order, the KX, LX and MX . . .

04-23-2022, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget the Pentax KM, which is just like your K1000 but with DOF preview and self timer.

Chris

04-25-2022, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #5

My favourite mechanical Pentax is the MX for the following reasons:
- rugged build
- compact size
- reliable, intuitive meter
- modern batteries
- high magnification finder is superb for focusing. Poor eye relief is the only downside.

My second favourite is the KX which feels more rugged than the MX, but the focussing screen is significantly worse for focussing in my opinion.

In the UK I recommend Robin at Harrow technical for a full service. It will cost as much as the camera but well worth it.

04-25-2022, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #6

Pentax sold more mx than kx, so spare parts should be easer to find for the mx. By the way both are great cameras and very reliable
04-26-2022, 01:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the MX because of the focusing screen but they all look pretty good. I do sometimes shoot with longer lenses up to 200mm from a tripod and I was wondering if mirror lockup would be a useful feature to have to reduce camera shake? With my K1000 I usually use a nodal rail to center the camera over the tripod to try and reduce shake.

04-26-2022, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #8

Even without the mirror lockup my KX feels much better damped than my MX. The KX has one of the nicest shutter sounds out of all my cameras and almost no vibration. The mirror lockup is very nicely implemented. If doing a lot of long lens or macro work that might tip things in favour of the KX. You really need both of these cameras .
04-27-2022, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned several MX bodies and several KX bodies, all serviced by Eric Hendrickson.

The KX controls aren't so crowded and work more smoothly than those on the MX.
The KX needle and scale exposure indicator is more precise than the MX LEDs
and shutter speed indicator doesn't intrude into the viewing area as on the MX.

I use a Pentax MX mainly when motorized advance (with the Winder MX) is required.
For nearly all other applications I much prefer my Pentax KX bodies.

Chris
04-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're used to the the K1000 I'd suggest the KM or MX before the KX. The KM has an identical center-the-needle metering system to the K1000. The KM is really just like a K1000 other than the timer and DOF preview.

The KX is loved by many here but if you're used to the K1000 and have never used a KX, the match-needle metering is quite different. My first real camera was a K1000 so I much prefer center needle over match-needle metering. From many discussions here my preferences may not be the popular opinion though, as it seems many like the two needles. The MX is my favorite film body and although the meter is LED lights, it's still a similar process of centering the green LED.

Chris is right. The MX is so small the dials are a little crowded on the top, but the viewfinder is hard to beat. If you don't mind match-needle metering I'd suggest the KX or the K2 DMD, my second-favorite Pentax body. Well you might as well get one of each.
04-27-2022, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
I went with the MX in the end, mainly for the focusing screen and just wanting to try something a bit different!
04-27-2022, 12:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was going to say MX, but the deed has been done. Hope that you get great shots with it!
04-27-2022, 07:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DRad Quote
I went with the MX in the end, mainly for the focusing screen and just wanting to try something a bit different!
The smallest fully manual slr with the biggest viewfinder magnification, great choice!
04-28-2022, 06:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I was going to say MX, but the deed has been done. Hope that you get great shots with it!
Good choice! The M-series cameras are very good, and as long as it is serviced every 10-15 yrs it should be fine for a long time.
04-28-2022, 12:59 PM - 5 Likes   #15

Original Poster
Just arrived this morning from Ffordes Photographic - very happy, everything working as it should! It's noticeably smaller than the K1000 but not too small, even though my hands are on the bigger side. Focusing with the viewfinder is definitely easier in low light.
Attached Images