Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by jimhi Quote
Real quick before I head out the door. Sorry to the guy's with the advice about digital, I know you meant well just my preference. The MX is one I hadn't considered, I was thinking maybe a Super Program but I will consider that. You are right father of the Groom is pretty much a stand in line and smile thing. Thanks to all.
I haven’t tried an Super Program but have read positive reviews. I think it would be a great choice for a wedding. The MX is my favourite Pentax out of the ones I own (KX, LX, MX, spotmatic).

05-05-2022, 01:27 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want quiet (no motor), decent lens compatibility, and TTL flash, the Super Program is a good choice.
And probably cheaper than a MX.

I shot a number of weddings with mine, years ago.
I'd suggest you pair it with an AF 280 flash, TTL off-camera cable, and a bracket if you have the time to put that together.

The 645 would be awesome. It's basically a Super Program XXL. But it won't be cheap... their prices have soared lately...

As a bit of a wildcard, I had a PZ-20 years ago. I seem to remember it being quieter than the PZ-1, and a good feature set. I used to pair it with the Super Program for a while...

-Eric
05-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #18

I just tested the SFX against Z-1, MZ-5, MZ-3, MZ-S and the MX. The lowest shutter/film advance noise came from the MZ-5 and MZ-3. They even match the MX. And, not to forget, you shoot much faster with auto wind and auto focus.
Rewinding is another thing. Manual rewind will always be the quieter option.
Good luck!

Last edited by Bosse; 05-05-2022 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
05-05-2022, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My tuppence worth... Stick with what you know. If you are very familiar and comfortable with your cameras, stick with them. A wedding isn't somewhere you are going to want to be wondering how to do X or Y.

05-06-2022, 01:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing to watch for with the super program is the self timer is easy to accidentally turn on, at least for me it was, which was very frustrating in catching the moment, 10 seconds too late.🤪
Mine also eats batteries.
The program A has a different switch but not quite as feature rich.
05-06-2022, 08:52 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
My tuppence worth... Stick with what you know. If you are very familiar and comfortable with your cameras, stick with them. A wedding isn't somewhere you are going to want to be wondering how to do X or Y.
The importance of this should not be overlooked…

-Eric
05-07-2022, 05:38 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A manual focus film SLR with non-motorized advance is a great idea.
They are indeed quieter than later models, including many dSLRS.

That said a leaf shutter camera will be quieter still.
Among professional wedding photographers the Rolleiflex TLR was once far and away the camera of choice.

Using a 35mm film camera an 85 or 100 or 105mm lens will give you more flattering portraits than a 135mm lens.

There were 20 photographers at my sister's wedding in around 1980. Many in the groom's family owned a Canon SLR; that was the brand sold at his father's camera store.
My portrait of the newlyweds made with my trusty old Nikon F with 105/2.5 Nikkor lens shot on Kodak Vericolor III film was the wedding album cover shot.

IMO suggesting that the OP should instead go digital is not particularly helpful.
This is the film cameras section, for people interested in use of film and film cameras.
Everyone knows digital is out there; however many of us here prefer to continue moving forward with film photography along with or rather than digital.

Chris
Perhaps you stopped reading my answer after the first sentences. Please read the rest of the message as well, not only the part that upsets you.

05-07-2022, 08:41 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimhi Quote
Sorry to the guy's with the advice about digital, I know you meant well just my preference. .
Totally understandable too. Film cameras are seeing a resurgence even among those who had moved on to digital. It's definitely a more considered way of photographing an event.

As you can see we have a number of non-digital camera users with advice on other film bodies and experience with the sound of them, so I do hope they've been helpful.

Oh, and welcome to our forums!
05-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no idea why someone with an SF1n would have any interest in a Super Program.

Chinon CE-4s or Ricoh XR7 would be my picks over the Super Program and I own all of these cameras. Especially the XR7.
05-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I read your entire post.

A question was asked specifically about film cameras.
I am certain that OP is aware of the digital photography option.

There are plenty of forums here to discuss digital photography.

Chris
I still get the idea that you did not read all of my post....... Or did not understand it. (I was not discussing digital photography, I was answering his question and you seem not grasp that)
05-07-2022, 04:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderator note: Please refrain from becoming a thread distraction.
05-07-2022, 05:50 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I have no idea why someone with an SF1n would have any interest in a Super Program.

Chinon CE-4s or Ricoh XR7 would be my picks over the Super Program and I own all of these cameras. Especially the XR7.
Actually both the Chinon and Ricoh are also on my short list. I had simply focused on the Super Program because of the shutter speed. synch speed and the exposure information in the veiwfinder.
05-07-2022, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1/1000 is fine when you remember how well film handles over-exposure. Both of the CE-4s and XR7 are great for exposure information in the viewfinder, especially the CE-4s in dark situations.

The only reason I got a Super Program was to shoot with DA and D-FA glass. If that isn't a thing you care about, look at glass with an aperture ring. I bought the Super Program to use with the DA 40 XS, DA*55, and DA 70 Ltd.
05-08-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Moderator note: Please refrain from becoming a thread distraction.
I apologize, you are quite right.

But jimhi may also have a look at the *ist, which is a fabulous small film camera with a lot of extra's like (if you like that thing) a standard databack. I own one and it is an easy going camera with good customization. It is light and has a very good relatively fast working AF.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 05-08-2022 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additonal information added for the OP
05-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #30

Original Poster
Well folks I really appreciate all the input. i am right now looking at 1. Pentax Super Program 2. Ricoh (actually KR30se) and possibly 3. Chinon CE4s. You all had so very many great suggestions that I had a hard time narrowing down to this.