Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 80 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2022, 08:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
My least appreciated brand as I only have two of these . . .

Sadly I don't even have a bellows for that mount. Obviously not a brand I saw a lot of.
Some very good ones there though.
That 57/1.4 is a favorite of mine.
I haven't personally owned any of the T series older than a T3, but it's interesting particularly from that photo's perspective (which I know is part of the point of your photos of this kind, so that's nice) noting the decreased travel in the shutter release from one to the other. It was necessarily long for the trap-needle mechanism Konica's used (ahead of its time) and the travel of the release got shorter and shorter with each body until it finally wasn't really any different than any other camera.

---------- Post added 05-16-22 at 09:02 PM ----------

The trap-needle system is briefly explained on this page if anyone is interested but unfamiliar. It's quite interesting.

The Konica AR System - Technical Questions, Shutter Priority

Last edited by Eyewanders; 05-16-2022 at 09:03 PM.
05-17-2022, 01:21 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of shots from my old FS-1.

05-17-2022, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Some very good ones there though.
That 57/1.4 is a favorite of mine.
I haven't personally owned any of the T series older than a T3, but it's interesting particularly from that photo's perspective (which I know is part of the point of your photos of this kind, so that's nice) noting the decreased travel in the shutter release from one to the other. It was necessarily long for the trap-needle mechanism Konica's used (ahead of its time) and the travel of the release got shorter and shorter with each body until it finally wasn't really any different than any other camera.

---------- Post added 05-16-22 at 09:02 PM ----------

The trap-needle system is briefly explained on this page if anyone is interested but unfamiliar. It's quite interesting.

The Konica AR System - Technical Questions, Shutter Priority
In my immersion into these older cameras, I wanted the Auto-Reflex primarily due to it's ability to take a full or half frame shot at any point on the roll. I believe this is unique to this camera and it's lower priced sibling Auto-Reflex P. I've since figured out not to leave an odd number of half frame shots in sequence as it is a nuisance when scanning! I can only imagine how that worked out in those photolabs back in the day . . .

05-17-2022, 10:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
In my immersion into these older cameras, I wanted the Auto-Reflex primarily due to it's ability to take a full or half frame shot at any point on the roll. I believe this is unique to this camera and it's lower priced sibling Auto-Reflex P. I've since figured out not to leave an odd number of half frame shots in sequence as it is a nuisance when scanning! I can only imagine how that worked out in those photolabs back in the day . . .

I've nearly bought one of the original AR out this curiosity several times, but (somehow) stopped myself figuring the novelty would wear off. I believe you're right though about its uniqueness.

05-18-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just before my first child was born, I jumped from a Praktica IV to a really lovely AutoReflex T. I think the lens was 52mm 1.8 or was there another 52mm lens?
(I guess anything would seem lovely after the Praktica.)
It was a magnificent camera and I only gave it up when the light meter became unreliable and I couldn't get it fixed.
Ended up with a Pentax MZ50. I didn't think it was a patch on the Konica.
05-18-2022, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Konica is limited to these, and an FS-1 that I no longer own. The Autoreflex T is supposed to be in great shape, and I exercised it last November. I have not had the film developed yet. I recently picked up the FT-1. The black and silver was at a second hand store and was missing the battery compartment (I have since found out that they are made out of unobtainable) I purchased the nasty looking black one just for the battery compartment(also in poor condition, but hey, still a battery compartment). I am into everything a total of $30, so if I cannot get either to power up, I am not out much.

20220518_095931 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

Sorry, I cant seem to get the picture itself to show up in the post. I have never had this problem before. If you open the link and scroll right, you will see both pics.

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 05-18-2022 at 02:44 PM.
05-18-2022, 06:37 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

My Favorite is the Konica III. It has taken sharp wonderful photos. I'm very impressed with it for a 66 year old camera. This one has the 48mm F2.0 lens

05-18-2022, 06:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Double post

Last edited by Driline; 05-18-2022 at 06:43 PM.
05-18-2022, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Just before my first child was born, I jumped from a Praktica IV to a really lovely AutoReflex T. I think the lens was 52mm 1.8 or was there another 52mm lens?
(I guess anything would seem lovely after the Praktica.)
It was a magnificent camera and I only gave it up when the light meter became unreliable and I couldn't get it fixed.
Ended up with a Pentax MZ50. I didn't think it was a patch on the Konica.
I've never had a Praktica but that does seem to be the prevailing opinion about them.
Yes, I think there was only that 52mm - maybe have been more than one version but it was only f1.8 IIRC.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
My Konica is limited to these, and an FS-1 that I no longer own. The Autoreflex T is supposed to be in great shape, and I exercised it last November. I have not had the film developed yet. I recently picked up the FT-1. The black and silver was at a second hand store and was missing the battery compartment (I have since found out that they are made out of unobtainable) I purchased the nasty looking black one just for the battery compartment(also in poor condition, but hey, still a battery compartment). I am into everything a total of $30, so if I cannot get either to power up, I am not out much.
So much of Konica is still ridiculously affordable still which is likely why I plunged so far into the offerings. I just picked up a black FT-1 that I need to open and see if I can sort out as well, but like you I mostly bought it for the battery pack. The one on my working silver version is fine but was rough at first. I reinforced a few spots inside it that looked weak or had hairline cracks, as well as bolstered the portions where the battery contact are nested to keep them in place. Seems stronger than ever now, but I still worry abou that latching mechanism itself. Definitely one of the couple weak points on these.
There is a Flickr posting that details cleaning the insulation out of the connectors for the ribbon cable in in topcap I mentioned before I'll see if I can find (maybe you already konw of it). There's also this video recently done by another fellow who was essentially following that post to clean his.
05-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I finally repaired all of the battery compartment cracks and one loose contact with superglue. It had voltage to the two tabs that connect to the camera when you snap it into place. The switch was in the on position and immediately triggered the shutter. After that initial response...nothing. So I no longer know if it is my battery compartment or the camera. If one of you happens to have a battery compartment for an FT-1 that you know is good, and would trust me enough for me to borrow it to find out if that is the problem, message me please.
05-20-2022, 11:39 AM - 5 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Here's a photo of my FIRST Konica III. I was attempting to replace the battery but I fear I may have gone too far.....

05-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Here's a photo of my FIRST Konica III. I was attempting to replace the battery but I fear I may have gone too far.....

It made a fantastic final photo, at least!
05-21-2022, 06:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
So I finally repaired all of the battery compartment cracks and one loose contact with superglue. It had voltage to the two tabs that connect to the camera when you snap it into place. The switch was in the on position and immediately triggered the shutter. After that initial response...nothing. So I no longer know if it is my battery compartment or the camera. If one of you happens to have a battery compartment for an FT-1 that you know is good, and would trust me enough for me to borrow it to find out if that is the problem, message me please.
I've got the one known-good(ish) and one questionable, but eek - it's a patchwork of plastic-weld and I'm pretty leery to ship it away considering that and the unobtanium factor you already mentioned. Last resort??? (I say this also - feeling selfish - cuz I'm into these well over 30 bucks and time) You might crack the top and have a look at the insulators, particularly since it showed some life for a moment. Inspect the top one anyhow and see if it's gooey. Good chance it'll need that in the not-too-distant future anyhow, even if not immediately. (Though I'll admit it would suck to find them gooey, clean and replace them, just to discover your holder's no good.)
05-21-2022, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My C35 FD has been sporting the FA43 hood for over 3 years now. (I've a DA 40 style knock-off hood on the 43)
Attached Images

05-21-2022, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[IMG][/IMG]

One cannot speak of the Konica cameras without referring to their fantastic lenses. Above is a challenging picture for showing detail in a distant landscape. Konica Auto S2 rangefinder with Ilford 400 (Lens Hexanon 1/1.8)