Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 80 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2022, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
I've nearly bought one of the original AR out this curiosity several times, but (somehow) stopped myself figuring the novelty would wear off. I believe you're right though about its uniqueness.
Novelty and uniqueness is definitely a trait I look for . . .

---------- Post added 05-21-22 at 10:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
My Konica is limited to these, and an FS-1 that I no longer own. The Autoreflex T is supposed to be in great shape, and I exercised it last November. I have not had the film developed yet. I recently picked up the FT-1. The black and silver was at a second hand store and was missing the battery compartment (I have since found out that they are made out of unobtainable) I purchased the nasty looking black one just for the battery compartment(also in poor condition, but hey, still a battery compartment). I am into everything a total of $30, so if I cannot get either to power up, I am not out much.

20220518_095931 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

Sorry, I cant seem to get the picture itself to show up in the post. I have never had this problem before. If you open the link and scroll right, you will see both pics.
That's a nice kit!

---------- Post added 05-21-22 at 10:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
My Favorite is the Konica III. It has taken sharp wonderful photos. I'm very impressed with it for a 66 year old camera. This one has the 48mm F2.0 lens

I had an opportunity to pick one of these up awhile back as I thought it looked great! I guess I just for the most part stayed with SLRs.

---------- Post added 05-21-22 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Here's a photo of my FIRST Konica III. I was attempting to replace the battery but I fear I may have gone too far.....

It won't be long and I too will have to get in there!

05-21-2022, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the one known-good(ish) and one questionable, but eek - it's a patchwork of plastic-weld and I'm pretty leery to ship it away considering that and the unobtanium factor you already mentioned. Last resort??? (I say this also - feeling selfish - cuz I'm into these well over 30 bucks and time) You might crack the top and have a look at the insulators, particularly since it showed some life for a moment. Inspect the top one anyhow and see if it's gooey. Good chance it'll need that in the not-too-distant future anyhow, even if not immediately. (Though I'll admit it would suck to find them gooey, clean and replace them, just to discover your holder's no good.)
I was getting a little bit irked and started pushing buttons (why not, it was pushing mine) It was not in vain though, I found that the self timer works....but does not trip the shutter. Light meter does not light up either. I also noticed this crack when I took the lens off. It must have been cracked when I bought it, and the messing around with the battery compartment popped it loose. Cosmetic I know, but still irritating. Black body is DOA, maybe I should crack it open first.

20220521_204417 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

---------- Post added 05-21-22 at 09:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote

That's a nice kit!
Thanks! I have been told that Kiron 28 is a good lens.

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 05-21-2022 at 09:36 PM.
05-22-2022, 12:30 AM - 4 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never owned a Konica camera, but I'd like to give Konica film a mention here. The old VX200 was my go-to colour negative film back in the day (always shot at 100). It had low grain, beautifully warm and saturated colours, and as far as I was concerned it blew everything from Kodak and Fuji far, far away.

Here's a couple with VX that I've still got on my wall after all these years:

Both scanned from the original wet prints.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 05-22-2022 at 12:38 AM.
05-22-2022, 11:49 AM - 5 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I was getting a little bit irked and started pushing buttons (why not, it was pushing mine) It was not in vain though, I found that the self timer works....but does not trip the shutter. Light meter does not light up either. I also noticed this crack when I took the lens off. It must have been cracked when I bought it, and the messing around with the battery compartment popped it loose. Cosmetic I know, but still irritating. Black body is DOA, maybe I should crack it open first.

20220521_204417 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr[COLOR="Silver"]
Hey that's good news in part! Everything you just described really sounds like those insulators. Because there are 3 or 4 locations (production run depending) for those at different ribbon cable spots on the boards, the behavior can be really varied and weird when they go. (I bet you could mend that crack with some plastic weld and a clamp in 24 hrs).

---------- Post added 05-22-22 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've never owned a Konica camera, but I'd like to give Konica film a mention here. The old VX200 was my go-to colour negative film back in the day (always shot at 100). It had low grain, beautifully warm and saturated colours, and as far as I was concerned it blew everything from Kodak and Fuji far, far away.

Those are both great! Yeah, that VX stuff is really nice. I think I still have a few frozen 35 rolls. I've also got 1 or 2 pro-packs each of Centuria Pro 400 and Centuria 400 (regular) in 220. The former is my favorite medium format color-neg film. Just love the stuff. Has the latitude (nearly) of Portra, but looks more like Fuji Reala - more contrast and pop, and leans a little bit toward that Kodak sort of red more than Fujifilms do. I've been sipping at my remaining frozen stuff for 6 or so years. I'll find a shot or two to post up.

---------- Post added 05-22-22 at 12:02 PM ----------

P67 | Takumar 105/2.4 | Konica Centuria Pro 400

Pentax 645Nii | Takumar 105/2.4 | Konica Centuria Pro 400

Last edited by Eyewanders; 05-22-2022 at 12:03 PM.
05-22-2022, 08:27 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote

I don't think I got to try that film but those look great!

Those are both great! Yeah, that VX stuff is really nice. I think I still have a few frozen 35 rolls. I've also got 1 or 2 pro-packs each of Centuria Pro 400 and Centuria 400 (regular) in 220. The former is my favorite medium format color-neg film. Just love the stuff. Has the latitude (nearly) of Portra, but looks more like Fuji Reala - more contrast and pop, and leans a little bit toward that Kodak sort of red more than Fujifilms do. I've been sipping at my remaining frozen stuff for 6 or so years. I'll find a shot or two to post up.

---------- Post added 05-22-22 at 12:02 PM ----------

P67 | Takumar 105/2.4 | Konica Centuria Pro 400

Pentax 645Nii | Takumar 105/2.4 | Konica Centuria Pro 400
Beautiful colors and brilliant execution. I know what you mean about saving the good stuff!

I also used a couple of different Konica films. This first one is Konica Centuria 800 which is a relatively grainy film.

And Konica Impressa 50, which is at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to grain and resolution.

05-22-2022, 10:09 PM - 4 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I don't think I got to try that film but those look great!

Beautiful colors and brilliant execution. I know what you mean about saving the good stuff!

I also used a couple of different Konica films. This first one is Konica Centuria 800 which is a relatively grainy film.

And Konica Impressa 50, which is at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to grain and resolution.

Lovely. Both. Especially like the Centuria look (not surprisingly). Bit of grain is fine with me.
I *think* I still have a single roll of Impresa 50 left. That stuff is wonderful from what I've seen but I'd never had any unti l received a couple from a friend some years back. I shot one roll backin 2018 but the dyes were in deep trouble. Quite a bit of damage, some serious shift, to the point the scans were barely salvageable. Interesting look if one is going for that expired/distressed character, but that's rarely-to-never my thing. If I find it I might try and rate it even lower but there's not much lower to go and it didn't help to much as it was. Ah well.
We keep losing too many of these.

One of the more effected frames. Did what I could.

05-23-2022, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

LesDMess and Eyewanders, I love all those shots. They all show that characteristic Konica colour rendering style, and now I'm feeling quite jealous of those who have still got some of it left in the freezer.

05-23-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am blown away by that Konica color rendering in the above examples. It's a real shame the film is no longer made. I'd love to shoot some of it. Just off the top of my head, without going back and comparing it, I'd say that new CineStill emulsion (that's based off Kodak movie film) looks vaguely similar.
05-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I am blown away by that Konica color rendering in the above examples. It's a real shame the film is no longer made. I'd love to shoot some of it. Just off the top of my head, without going back and comparing it, I'd say that new CineStill emulsion (that's based off Kodak movie film) looks vaguely similar.
You mean the new 400D Cinestill? Haven't seen enough real-world examples but it does look interesting, if spendy. I've shot a few rolls of their 50D and quite like it, and had a 100ft roll of 800T for quite some time. Actually I think I've still got the tail end of it in the back of the fridge now that I think about it - tho good chance it's a tiny bit cooked by now. That stuff is rather temperamental, which is part of the reason I fell out of love with a bit. When 800T delivers, it can deliver quite large, but I'm rather non-plussed with it a lot of the time as well. Still interested to see how the 400*DYNAMIC* (haha) shakes out.

Well stored Konica stocks seem to be pretty much unobtanium at this point. It's sad. But that's a theme for the last 5-10years of many emulsions.
05-25-2022, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Amidst all my efforts to bring this camera back to life, I somehow entirely forgot about the extras that came with it. One of those was the nifty "Auto-Up" 100-50cm close up filter. I believe it should work on C35EF as well, though its scale focus which could be trickier to work out. Never really used these sorts on any camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON Z 7  Photo 
05-25-2022, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For anyone interested there's a nice Konica I 35mm rangefinder camera for sale in APUG/Phototrio classifieds:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/fs-konica-i-rangefinder.191882/#post-2552892

Chris
05-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that there are a variety of different models of the Autoreflex. So for those of you that have one,or more, which model do you prefer.
05-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For anyone interested there's a nice Konica I 35mm rangefinder camera for sale in APUG/Phototrio classifieds:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/fs-konica-i-rangefinder.191882/#post-2552892

Chris
It’s nice to see a working model. So many of them on eBay are untested or for parts only.
06-10-2022, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally found some of my vacation pictures from my old FS1. They are not scanned or edited and I used my cellphone, so they are pictures of pictures. I was playing with the lenses that came with the camera at the time. pictures of Sue are with the Hexanon 40.mm, Mnt. Rushmore is with my zoom, and zoom with 2x converter, from main viewpoint.

20220601_173550 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_173426 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_173335 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_173220 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_172340 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr
06-10-2022, 05:12 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I finally found some of my vacation pictures from my old FS1. They are not scanned or edited and I used my cellphone, so they are pictures of pictures. I was playing with the lenses that came with the camera at the time. pictures of Sue are with the Hexanon 40.mm, Mnt. Rushmore is with my zoom, and zoom with 2x converter, from main viewpoint.

20220601_173550 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_173426 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_173335 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_173220 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr

20220601_172340 | Sam Grabenhorst | Flickr
Is that you and your missus on Instagram? You're alot younger than what I thought you would be with these old SLR cameras I think the photo's look nice and sharp.