Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2022, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
I can only tell you my own experience. I shot professionally with 2 LXs and an MX for two decades as a photojournalist for Pacific Stars & Stripes and other newspapers. We shot in very tough conditions - winters in Korea, summers in the Mojave desert, Georgia swamps - you name it. I was a US Army phojo for part of that time. They issued us Cannon F1s, which none of us would use. A few guys shot Nikons, but most of us shot Pentax. The LXs and MX were my workhorse cameras during my days as a phojo at Pacific Stars & Stripes in Asia and 7 other newspapers across the US. They are tanks – once fell while wearing both LXs and the MX running through Tokyo after a shot. Since I only have two hands, the LS hit the concrete and bounced. I caught it and finished the shoot. There’s a little dent on the top plate as the only remembrance.
That said, time has not been kind to the LXs. Both are dead. I looked into repairing them years ago, and was told it would be a minimum of $500. Each.
The MX works as well as it ever did, and I put the occasional roll of film through it. Though these days if I want to shoot film I shoot the Pentax 67.

Also have had shots published from the Auto 110, a little gem that was my fav until they stopped making Kodachrome 110. The ME Super was used in my early phojo days; it was my first 35mm camera. Got the MX next, then the LXs when I got to Tokyo. Love the Q, but need a viewfinder. Always wanted a 67; bought that one a couple of years ago, and put the occasional roll through it.

Not crazy about modern Pentaxs. Pentaxs were always small, sharp and rugged. The new ones are big and blocky and inelegant. These days I carry an Olympus Pen-F.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XQ-BE62  Photo 
06-03-2022, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by estost Quote
....On the other hand, acclaimed veteran photojournalist Günter Zint shot years of West German anti nuclear power protests (Gorleben, Brokdorf) with his MX, enduring truncheons, water cannons and tear gas.
So the MX is radiation proof, and his Super Takumar got a recharge from there ha !
06-04-2022, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by estost Quote
Not quite. The LX retired in 2005 when I went digital with the istD. Ever since it has been lying in darkness stuffed away in some old photobag. I used it for some occasional analogue shooting but I soon preferred my MZ-S since it is similar to the digitals and makes use of modern lenses. The LX thus had plenty of time to at least develop some sticky mirror or glutinous grease, but never did. I recently gave it to my daughter who loves to play around with film. The camera is doing fine, no problem whatsoever, only the battery is slightly week after 20 years. I don't see any reason though why I should not toss it into my motorbike and go to Ukraine, but I will probably rather take the K-1

On the other hand, acclaimed veteran photojournalist Günter Zint shot years of West German anti nuclear power protests (Gorleben, Brokdorf) with his MX, enduring truncheons, water cannons and tear gas.
I don't think anyone around these parts will ever poo-poo on an LX in general, but between the two cameras, if one is going to develop a fatal or expensive issue, the LX is far more likely.
06-23-2022, 02:31 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I have wanted an LX for a good few years.
Over that time I have collected Two KX's and three K2's. One each in both silver and black and an extra K2 in black.
The first K2 I bought had a sightly seperated prism which hasn't hampered picture taking. It was also peanuts.

The LX really does appeal to me, but am concerned about any possible repairs that may/will need doing.
I have found two places in Japan that will look at them, then decide if they could repair.

I think from reading through the comments here that it is unlikely I am willing to take the risk, steering on the side of caution.

The KX looks a much easier repair, and even the K2. Cheaper as well.

I'm also thinking of getting a 645, but they're also tough to find a repairman even in Japan.

06-24-2022, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #50

The problem with LX’s are that certain electronic components are no longer available, for example the shutter speed control circuit.
The best strategy is to buy one that is fully working and recently serviced. It is still a bit of a lottery that the electronics will fail.
07-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I love both and use them both. I've been distracted by other things of late (the Single in... challenge using digital, pinhole camera with film, various folders with film...) but if I travel my standard is the LX with colour and the MX with BW.

The LX has had a couple of repairs. One (electronic) was a problem when I bought it, the other (bent something or other) was my fault as I dropped it. The MX had a CLA and works fine, the other MX also had a CLA but suffers from occasional slippage when winding on leading to over-lapping frames.

If I had to pick just one (Heaven forbid...), it would probably be the MX simply because it is likely to be fixable for quite some time. LX seal kits are getting rarer than hens teeth.

K.
I do not own an LX, but are the seals hard to replace? I never buy seal kits, I measure and cut and fit into place. Unless there is something about the LX and its seals that makes this a difficult job, I wouldn't consider the lack of a seal kit that important.
07-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
I do not own an LX, but are the seals hard to replace? I never buy seal kits, I measure and cut and fit into place. Unless there is something about the LX and its seals that makes this a difficult job, I wouldn't consider the lack of a seal kit that important.
Not the usual light seals, but the dust and moisture seals. The LX has a plethora of those which are supposed to be changed whenever you open-up the camera body for repair.

07-04-2022, 09:44 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Not the usual light seals, but the dust and moisture seals. The LX has a plethora of those which are supposed to be changed whenever you open-up the camera body for repair.
Thanks for the info. This is something worth considering.
09-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #54
Forum Member

It's a tough decision. The interchangeable and waist level shooting is appealing on the LX, also the faster shutter speed and Aperture Auto.
However the reliability... they are expensive cameras used, and seem to attract more people saying they're unreliable than not.

The MX on the other hand, while mechanical, also sounds to be more cheaply made parts and likely to break in that sense.

Far out. It's overwhelming choosing these things. My most recent acquisition is a Nikon FA. Amazing camera. I went through the same hoops of doubting it's reliability being all electronic.

I guess buying any old film camera can be a gamble. Might go forever, might last a week!

Sometimes I wonder if a simple and rugged Nikon F2 might be the answer, although a very big camera.

There's something very appealing about the smaller, tough bodies and very bright finders / high magnification on the pentaxes. The finder on the ME I have is incredible!

Did you make a decision on which to get, OP?
09-01-2022, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
It's a tough decision. The interchangeable and waist level shooting is appealing on the LX, also the faster shutter speed and Aperture Auto.
However the reliability... they are expensive cameras used, and seem to attract more people saying they're unreliable than not.

The MX on the other hand, while mechanical, also sounds to be more cheaply made parts and likely to break in that sense.

Far out. It's overwhelming choosing these things. My most recent acquisition is a Nikon FA. Amazing camera. I went through the same hoops of doubting it's reliability being all electronic.

I guess buying any old film camera can be a gamble. Might go forever, might last a week!

Sometimes I wonder if a simple and rugged Nikon F2 might be the answer, although a very big camera.

There's something very appealing about the smaller, tough bodies and very bright finders / high magnification on the pentaxes. The finder on the ME I have is incredible!

Did you make a decision on which to get, OP?
I must admit that I don't think any camera has been made more ruggedly and solidly well, than the Nikon F1 or F2. However, the clunky viewfinders along with the strange flash attachment make either of these less comfortable to use. The MX (or LX) can't be held to the same build standards, if for no other reason than size. Within that context, it is a durable camera and intuitively easy to operate. (Even so, it seems a shutter switch in my 45 year old MX has eventually failed, so time is no friend to any electronics no matter how simple.)
Regardless, even the mighty Nikon Fs need service. My (like new) Nikon F2 caps at 1/2000. My K2 and LX have me fearing a failure in their electronics. A K2 without a lightmeter has only one speed. The LX would have some more in the upper range.
09-02-2022, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I must admit that I don't think any camera has been made more ruggedly and solidly well, than the Nikon F1 or F2. However, the clunky viewfinders along with the strange flash attachment make either of these less comfortable to use. The MX (or LX) can't be held to the same build standards, if for no other reason than size. Within that context, it is a durable camera and intuitively easy to operate. (Even so, it seems a shutter switch in my 45 year old MX has eventually failed, so time is no friend to any electronics no matter how simple.)
Regardless, even the mighty Nikon Fs need service. My (like new) Nikon F2 caps at 1/2000. My K2 and LX have me fearing a failure in their electronics. A K2 without a lightmeter has only one speed. The LX would have some more in the upper range.
It won't be anything electronic that may be the issue with your MX not firing-everything bar the meter is mechanical! I suspect it may just be in need of adjustment to the shutter trigger mechanism, which does have a degree of adjustment built-in to the connecting rods that go from shutter button to main trigger lever on the lower left side of the mirror cage as you look at it from the front. It is possible to remove a cover on the left front , after peeling back the leathercloth, adjacent to the self-timer., This will enable you to access the adjustment points on the shutter conecting rod and lever, and also test the trigger mechanism of the shutter independently. The Pentax MX repair manual is availabe for free online-I have a copy in pdf form, but the file size exceeds my upload limit! I have however uploaded two screenshots of two pages from the manual that will help with the adjustment and identification of the plate to be accessed. The plate is part A24 in diagram 1, and the rod and levers shown in two are what you will see underneath, with adjustment screws .

The only no-no with the MX is do NOT fully release the tension in either shutter blind either by adjustment, or manually manipulating the blinds. If you do you run the risk of the blind connecting cords ( not tapes, note) dropping off their pulleys, and that involves a complete strip down to rectify since it is near impossible to push them back without doing so.
Attached Images

Last edited by martin42mm; 09-02-2022 at 02:06 AM. Reason: clarification
09-02-2022, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

As someone who owns three MXs (one of which has developed a problem) and has just recently bought an LX (which I haven't used yet) this is an interesting thread. I've read that the K2 and K2DMD are also vulnerable to electronic failures but the K2DMD is a very nice camera to use. At the end of the day virtually all film cameras are now old and are a risky purchase so inspect if possible, buy from a trusted seller if possible and with at least some guarantee. Other than that, enjoy using them, which you won't do if you're constantly worrying that they might fail.

If I travel I always tuck a P30 into my check-in luggage as a back-up.
09-02-2022, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As someone who owns three MXs (one of which has developed a problem) and has just recently bought an LX (which I haven't used yet) this is an interesting thread. I've read that the K2 and K2DMD are also vulnerable to electronic failures but the K2DMD is a very nice camera to use. At the end of the day virtually all film cameras are now old and are a risky purchase so inspect if possible, buy from a trusted seller if possible and with at least some guarantee. Other than that, enjoy using them, which you won't do if you're constantly worrying that they might fail.

If I travel I always tuck a P30 into my check-in luggage as a back-up.
The beauty of mechanical cameras, excluding the metering of course. is that they do not rely on electronics or batteries to work. If I were to pack a backup PK mount film camera, it would be either the MX for preference given the size and brightness of the v/f, or a K1000 if an S/T is not important to me. An alternative would be a KX since that again is a mechanical camera. I would NOT rely on a P30,or an ME Super, since they are not the most robust either mechanically or electronically, as evidenced by the number of dead bodies in my spares boxes that have come from unrepairable P30s and MEs! The LX is of course a hybrid mechanical/electronic camera, so will work on a restricted range of speeds should the battery die or the electronics develop an issue.
09-02-2022, 06:22 AM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
The beauty of mechanical cameras, excluding the metering of course. is that they do not rely on electronics or batteries to work. If I were to pack a backup PK mount film camera, it would be either the MX for preference given the size and brightness of the v/f, or a K1000 if an S/T is not important to me. An alternative would be a KX since that again is a mechanical camera. I would NOT rely on a P30,or an ME Super, since they are not the most robust either mechanically or electronically, as evidenced by the number of dead bodies in my spares boxes that have come from unrepairable P30s and MEs! The LX is of course a hybrid mechanical/electronic camera, so will work on a restricted range of speeds should the battery die or the electronics develop an issue.
Something that's often not touched on, should the LX fail electronically it's still quite a capable daytime light camera with the mechanical shutter speeds, obviously not ideal however.
The MX sounds like a pretty good option, all mechanical clockwork and if looked after, well it should just keep going. Hmm.
So many great cameras out there!
09-02-2022, 07:01 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The big disadvantage of the fully mechanical cameras (and the LX, ME, etc.) is that they will not work properly with lenses that lack an aperture ring.
So they don't work awesomely as backup bodies for modern lenses... I think that's where the old program bodies work best, even if they are reliant on electronics.

If I'm backing up modern stuff, I prefer something like a PZ1, but even a P30 or SuperProgram would work for that. And P30s are cheap enough you could buy several and have spares.

But if I'm shooting film to shoot film, with older lenses, I prefer the MX/KX approach. The LX is a wonderful machine, but I can't justify one the way I would use it.

-Eric