Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #1

Pz-70

Okay guy's I just pushed the button on ebay and purchased a PZ-70. Any comments 0n this model? What is with the plastic lens mount? is it a big deal or nothing to worry about?

05-29-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jimhi and welcome to PF.

I have the 'little brother' version without the full program mode - the z-70. I've been using that camera since 2012 without any issues whatsoever. The plastic bayonet assembly is tougher than it would appear and I haven't encountered any issues despite using the camera with a bunch of different lenses including the select DA lenses which adequately cover the whole frame. I think the AF is quite good for a camera of its vintage.

Admittedly, I'm only running a few rolls of film through it a year, but it has been a great camera overall. The only difficulty I really have with it is finding batteries. I have had to order them online since day one.

I hope you enjoy your p version after you get it.
05-30-2022, 06:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
I don't know how but apparently I am very fortunate in that the local hardware store carries a wide variety of batteries including the 2CR5 as well as A76 and 357 (all common camera batteries). I thank you very much for your assessment of the camera. I was just wondering if the plastic lens mount did break if the metal lens mount of another model (I am looking at you PZ10) could be grafted on to it?
06-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pz-70

Okay guys here we go. I bought this PZ-70 from ebay. I didn't expect much for the money I paid and I got a PZ-70 that works up to the point where the shutter fires and film advance works but the mirror does not move up out of the way. It does not stick up and when I hold it upside down the mirror does "wiggle" and if you jostle the camera just right it will occasionally cycle. However when you hold it upright no dice. It is like whatever cycles the mirror just isn't getting enough energy. This does not seem like the broken gear but I am not giving up on that. before we go further the idea behind buying this particular camera was to see if I could figure out how to fix it. I have no real experience fixing cameras but have recently retired from a job repairing copiers and printers so I do have some idea of how to repair things. So any ideas on this ? I should ad I do want to get it to the point that it works. This no tear it apart and then throw it away.

Last edited by jimhi; 06-21-2022 at 07:04 PM.
06-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #5

It does sound as if something in the mechanism moving the mirror is broken, the mirror does not move by itself normally.
Since you bought it to learn, just take it apart and see what you can find, worst case you end up where you started: with a broken camera.
You can find the repair manual for the camera here: Product Details | Pentax Z-70P Service Manual | Pentax | Service Manuals | Learn Camera Repair