Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2022, 01:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any recommendations for a fully manual rangefinder with a 35mm lens?

Over the past few months I've settled on using a Lumix TZ70 digital compact for snapshots, and film in my venerable K1000 when I want some quality. But in general I'm tired of lugging around big, heavy interchangeable lens cameras and I'd much rather be shooting with something more compact. So my question is exactly as in the thread title: Can anyone recommend a compact rangefinder with a 35mm lens? Fully manual operation with proper shutter speed and aperture controls is a non-negotiable necessity, and I don't need a built-in meter as I prefer Sunny 16 or incident metering.

The obvious answer is the Olympus XA, and that's a camera that I used happily for most of the nineties and took some of my all-time favourite shots with. But my hands aren't as supple as they used to be, and nowadays the XA's controls are a bit too fiddly for me to use easily. Plus they go for stupid prices these days. (Edit: I've just remembered that the XA was aperture priority rather than fully manual So why do I remember it as fully manual? Must be encroaching senility, and in my defence I haven't used an XA since last century.)

There's a part of me that likes the idea of one of the cheap Leica LTM copies like a Zorki with a decent lens attached (an actual Leica is out of my price range). Does anyone have any experience with one of those?

I'd settle for a 40mm lens if the price was right, but 50mm is a length that just doesn't suit me and 35mm has always been my ideal.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone's got, ideally not above the £150 mark.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 06-02-2022 at 01:36 AM.
06-02-2022, 01:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canonet_G-III_QL17
06-02-2022, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Petri Color 35 isn't a rangefinder, but it is compact and has a 40mm lens...
Petri Color 35

I find the zone focusing pretty good and the lens sharp...

I have a Fed2 with a Jupiter-12 35mm lens that I also enjoy, but I wouldn't call it "compact".
It's about the same size as a MX and heavier. And don't forget you may want to add a viewfinder for the 35mm lens.

And I've done the 35mm lenses on the Kodak Retinas. Great cameras, but the extra lenses are such a pain...

-Eric
06-02-2022, 02:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you want a manual interchangeable lens RF but can’t afford a Leica, perhaps a Canon 7 or P?

06-02-2022, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

I'll second steephill's recommendation of the Canonet G-III QL17, a fine rangefinder and readily available on the used market.
06-02-2022, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #6

What you need is an Olympus 35RC. It has shutter priority automation, but works fine in meterless manual mode without a battery (which is good because it takes mercury batteries). It has an aperture ring on the lens and a shutter speed dial on the top, as God and Oscar Barnack intended. The lens is a 42mm f/2.8, so a bit longer than you wanted, but quite sharp. And the camera is tiny.
06-02-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon 35 Ti, more point and shoot than RF but wonderful camera
On the vintage side Konica used to make the C35 which had a wide lens, Ricoh 500 with the 45mm lens is an option, also the ones mentioned above and Yashica Electro, Zeiss Contessa, Voigtander Vito among others
Or you can shoot for the stars and buy a Voigtlander Bessa with a 35mm lens

06-02-2022, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was my first 35mm. It isn’t manual, and it’sa pain to override exposure (setting asa is the only exposure compensation) but it has a good feel and a sharp lens. I loved mine. I suspect this isn’t a useful choice for what you are looking for, but print film has a wide latitude and even slides worked well for me with this camera (asa set higher to slightly under expose 1/3 of a stop).

Yashica Electro 35CC mini review - by Andrew Morang - 35mmc
06-02-2022, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

My first choice would be a Zorki 6 (not too bulky, with lever wind) fitted with a Jupiter 12 35mm f/2.8, though you would need an auxiliary viewfinder.
A Retina IIIS with the Curtagon 35mm f/2.8 probably ticks all the boxes if it's in good working order … not sure about the prices these days.
The Retina IIIC is beautifully compact when folded, but the 35mm auxiliary lens makes the whole thing a bit bulky.
I too used one of the little Olympus "clamshell" cameras, albeit an XA1 (no batteries, selenium cell) and it served very well

Last edited by kypfer; 06-02-2022 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added pic
06-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My first choice would be a Zorki 6 (not too bulky, with lever wind) fitted with a Jupiter 12 35mm f/2.8, though you would need an auxiliary viewfinder.
A Retina IIIS with the Curtagon 35mm f/2.8 probably ticks all the boxes if it's in good working order … not sure about the prices these days.
The Retina IIIC is beautifully compact when folded, but the 35mm auxiliary lens makes the whole thing a bit bulky.
I too used one of the little Olympus "clamshell" cameras, albeit an XA1 (no batteries, selenium cell) and it served very well

Oh, I'm liking the look of that Zorki 6. And an auxiliary viewfinder would be no problem as most of the time I'd be happy with zone focusing.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I knew the wealth of knowledge around here would give me plenty of options.
06-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This was my first 35mm. It isn’t manual, and it’sa pain to override exposure (setting asa is the only exposure compensation) but it has a good feel and a sharp lens. I loved mine. I suspect this isn’t a useful choice for what you are looking for, but print film has a wide latitude and even slides worked well for me with this camera (asa set higher to slightly under expose 1/3 of a stop).

Yashica Electro 35CC mini review - by Andrew Morang - 35mmc

I'm actually very tempted by this one. Do you happen to remember what the shutter defaults to with no battery in the camera? If it defaults to 1/60 then I could actually live with it as single speed camera for the sort of things I shoot. Or does the shutter not fire at all with no battery?
06-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started out in photography using my grandfather's Kodak Signet 35 camera. A fully manual rangefinder that took pretty sharp photos. It's quite compact and well made, and it checks most of the boxes except it has a 44mm lens which is a bit longer than you wanted. It was a fun little camera. I kind of wish I still had it.

Kodak Signet 35 | Camerapedia | Fandom
06-02-2022, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Ricoh 500G is a really excellent start into rangefinders, it's the one I went with and the 40mm f2.8 lens never let me down. The rangefinder patch is a bit dim on these, probably wasn't ever very bright but in the 21st century it also has the effects of age added to it. But it's more than worth it for what the camera offers.
06-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my old Argus C3. Actually I have three of then because changing the lens and viewfinder is a pain. Most are listed with the 50mm lens. Look for the 35mm lens and auxillary viewfinder.

Phil
06-02-2022, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm actually very tempted by this one. Do you happen to remember what the shutter defaults to with no battery in the camera? If it defaults to 1/60 then I could actually live with it as single speed camera for the sort of things I shoot. Or does the shutter not fire at all with no battery?
https://cameralegend.com/2021/10/05/the-yashica-35cc-review/

This person says he thinks it is 1/30th. Several people say 1/250th. I adored mine. I may actually buy one even if I don’t use it with film… just for nostalgic reasons.