Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2022, 10:43 AM   #1

Cases For Pentax Super A Film SLR Camera

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All

I just purchasesd a Pentax Super A film SLR. Has anyone found a readily available 'ever-ready' style case for this model. It has a lumpen shape so the normal kind of pentax ever-ready cases will not fit.

When I say 'ever-ready' I mean the type that covers the whole camera and lens. The top part covering the lens can be temporarily unfastened, so one can take a photo - and quickly fastened again. Currently I can only see some new 'cases' available on etsy - but they're not really cases - they just cover the bottom part, which is a bit pointless cos the rest of the body and the lens are not protected.

I think this camera has the same body shape as the Program A so whatever works for that applies too. Even if it's an every-ready case that's slightly too big would be helpful. Just not sure where to start.

Thanks

Ross

everready case example attached

Attached Images

06-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #2

Pentax made cases specifically for these. I had one for my Super Program but the faux leather simply disintegrated at the seems from age. Will be PENTAX branded, not ASAHI PENTAX.

There's one on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234520247245?hash=item369a7efbcd:g:Yr8AAOSwIBtiYiE9

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-03-2022 at 03:47 PM.
06-04-2022, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax made an OEM case for the Super A/Super program/Program Plus. I was lucky to find six NOS in an attic sale at a local camera store a few years back. Problem with these cases is they are not made very well and crack easily.

Phil.
Attached Images

06-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #4

The materials used don't age well and deteriorates badly. Same thing with Minolta cases from around the same time period - early-mid 1980's.

06-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rossblake Quote
Hi All

I just purchasesd a Pentax Super A film SLR. Has anyone found a readily available 'ever-ready' style case for this model. It has a lumpen shape so the normal kind of pentax ever-ready cases will not fit.

When I say 'ever-ready' I mean the type that covers the whole camera and lens. The top part covering the lens can be temporarily unfastened, so one can take a photo - and quickly fastened again. Currently I can only see some new 'cases' available on etsy - but they're not really cases - they just cover the bottom part, which is a bit pointless cos the rest of the body and the lens are not protected.

I think this camera has the same body shape as the Program A so whatever works for that applies too. Even if it's an every-ready case that's slightly too big would be helpful. Just not sure where to start.

Thanks

Ross

everready case example attached

Ahhh the "Never-ready" case.
I used to seek them out for "completionism" as it were, but at this point they just sit in a bin atop one another. If I use anything it's the half-case portion for the bottom.
If you're just after protection I'd just use a domke style neoprene case. They're stretch and will fit a variety of bodies depending on size. Great for chucking them into a bag and they weight far less than the leather or "pleather" versions.
06-04-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax brand cases from those years have mostly self-destructed by now.
You are likely better off with a third-party brand "generic" case if you can find one.
Check fit in person if possible as "FOR PENTAX" never means ALL Pentax models.

Chris
06-05-2022, 04:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Ahhh the "Never-ready" case.
I used to seek them out for "completionism" as it were, but at this point they just sit in a bin atop one another. If I use anything it's the half-case portion for the bottom.
If you're just after protection I'd just use a domke style neoprene case. They're stretch and will fit a variety of bodies depending on size. Great for chucking them into a bag and they weight far less than the leather or "pleather" versions.
Thanks Eyewanders
Yeah, I'm not fixated on sticking to the Pentax brand for this case - just something that will fit and works. I've looked at the Domke range and they don't appear to sell what I'm after. I need it so the removable flap, when taken off, exposes the lens and the top of the camera, so I can take a photo, but the bottom part needs to be securely connected to the bottom and back of the camera body. (the original pentax cases allow this with a hook at either end that hooks around the strap connector). The case needs to allow for the strap, connected to either side of the camera body, to be used even when the camera is fully covered.
Any more specific suggestions wold be most welcome
Thanks
R

---------- Post added 06-05-22 at 04:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Pentax brand cases from those years have mostly self-destructed by now.
You are likely better off with a third-party brand "generic" case if you can find one.
Check fit in person if possible as "FOR PENTAX" never means ALL Pentax models.

Chris
Hi thanks - yeah I'm not fixated on sticking to the Pentax brand for this case - just something that will fit and works. This is what I'm having trouble with finding at the moment.
R

06-05-2022, 04:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The materials used don't age well and deteriorates badly. Same thing with Minolta cases from around the same time period - early-mid 1980's.
Thanks and understood - I'm not looking for a branded Pentax case in particular - just one that work and fits the camera.
06-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife bought her ME super back in the 80's when she was in high school. It was used, and had an aftermarket case. Still have the case, still looks brand new. I will look for it and see if I can find a brand name.
06-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know if you'll find even much third-party support for cases for something of that vintage.
I have seen a number of places online that make "the bottom half" of those cases, but they aren't designed to work with a "top half"; they are just a partial cover. They can look cool, though...

Even though I was able to get one for my Super Program in the mid-80s (long since destroyed), ten years later, in the largest camera shop in a major metropolitan US city, there were essentially no more ever ready cases. I blame zoom lenses...

Sure, you could order them for some cameras, and we occasionally "stocked" one (usually a special order that had gone sideways), but by the 90s everyone had pretty much switched to bags.
The only exception I can think of was rangefinders. If you bought a Leica M6 or a Mamiya, we might have kept some of those. And I may have seen some for K1000s before they finally went away.
I don't think I've ever seen an ever ready case on a SF10/PZ10, Nikon 8008/N90, or Canon Rebel of any flavor... even though I've seen them in accessory catalogs...

I'll note there were plenty of "holster bags", which were meant to serve the same role as an ever ready case, but with more room for a 28-80 or whatever. I've had a couple, and I find them even worse than the ever ready cases as they are bulkier and harder to get the camera out of. They're great for shipping a camera in a box, though...

-Eric
06-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rossblake Quote
Thanks Eyewanders
Yeah, I'm not fixated on sticking to the Pentax brand for this case - just something that will fit and works. I've looked at the Domke range and they don't appear to sell what I'm after. I need it so the removable flap, when taken off, exposes the lens and the top of the camera, so I can take a photo, but the bottom part needs to be securely connected to the bottom and back of the camera body. (the original pentax cases allow this with a hook at either end that hooks around the strap connector). The case needs to allow for the strap, connected to either side of the camera body, to be used even when the camera is fully covered.
Any more specific suggestions wold be most welcome
Thanks
R

---------- Post added 06-05-22 at 04:56 AM ----------

Hi thanks - yeah I'm not fixated on sticking to the Pentax brand for this case - just something that will fit and works. This is what I'm having trouble with finding at the moment.
R
I have a Pentax branded actual leather soft case (similar to below link) that I believe was intended for an MX (which is mostly what I do use it for). It's one of the few I have that I both A) use, and B) doesn't fall apart - it's leather, but a very soft leather. This one here looks remarkably similar though just slightly larger in front like it might accomodate larger lenses mounted than the case I have. It's not a half-case, 2-piece Everyready style, but comes on and off just as easily (moreso IMO). Again, I use mine for the MX when I take it out with a bag that has other things in it. It accommodates the strap at either side and zips away for removal when you shoot. I don't see them very often though. I've always wondered why.

HM Leather Soft Case - Made in Germany - for Olympus OM / Pentax ...exc.+ | eBay
06-05-2022, 09:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, no brand name.

It still looks brand new. I don't think it will fit the Super A.
ME, MX, and ME super with standard lens is what this one is made for.

If you happen to find a really nice black case with red lining, no Pentax logo, with "made in Taiwan " stamped on the bottom of the case. Get it, it should last forever. 😃