Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2022, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Wait, so "program" mode only works if you set the camera where it will over or under expose, then the camera will step in and save you?

I think that would drive me up the wall if I was trying to do something intentional...

-Eric
I have one camera Olympus Epic, that doesn't allow me to set anything at all and just have to trust it and that's worked out well . . . so far . . .

Truthfully, I've never used program mode in any other camera I have that has this capability, and for that matter have only used shutter priority less then a handful of times as well. As far as I am concerned this is all just one-ups-manship which I can appreciate in the context of their history.

06-08-2022, 12:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Actually, the XD-11 does support programmed autoexposure mode but just oddly left out of the manual. Is this a "hack"? It is also not identified in rokkor files XD-11 This mode is detailed at Photography in Malaysia XD-7/XD-11.
Programmed AE mode is when the camera changes automatically the shutter speed AND the aperture. I don't know how you would do that with a XD-7/XD-11...
06-12-2022, 10:47 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Programmed AE mode is when the camera changes automatically the shutter speed AND the aperture. I don't know how you would do that with a XD-7/XD-11...
You put it in shutter priority mode. If the camera can’t get the right exposure at the selected shutter speed it shifts the shutter speed, so effectively works like a Program mode. I also think Program mode is a gimmick. I never use this mode on my cameras that have it.
06-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think on the Pentax cameras I've used, as well as many (all?) of the others, putting the camera in shutter priority with an unusable aperture just results in the camera blinking at you a lot... (with similar results for aperture priority and an unusable shutter speed). So a ME Super set to f1.4 with 400 speed film on a bright, sunny day will shoot 1/1000 and blink at you because it can't change the aperture... but a PZ-20 will do the same thing (though at 1/2000 or whatever), even with the lens in "A"... it won't change the aperture...

I think the Pentax cameras will also do that if you drop off the bottom of the meter sensitivity... they'll give you the most light they can within the bounds of the meter range and then blink the display in the viewfinder...

As for Program mode in general, I'm a fan. It's a good place to leave it in case I want something quick... and then change it later...
I'll often step through Program to grab a quick shot, TaV to narrow down what I'm after, and then manual with a fixed ISO if I'm still not getting what I want.

-Eric

06-13-2022, 12:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
You put it in shutter priority mode. If the camera can’t get the right exposure at the selected shutter speed it shifts the shutter speed, so effectively works like a Program mode. I also think Program mode is a gimmick. I never use this mode on my cameras that have it.
That's not a Programmed mode, your aperture doesn't change...

Here you have the table of values depending on the Ev from the A-1 manual :
Attached Images

06-13-2022, 11:19 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
That's not a Programmed mode, your aperture doesn't change...

Here you have the table of values depending on the Ev from the A-1 manual :
The aperture does change. It opens up to maximum as light drops. At that point the shutter speed begins to drop. It is a different line on the chart for sure, but essentially the same concept.
06-14-2022, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No table required!

They're not SLRs, but I love the way the Konica C35 cameras simplify program AE:

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-14-2022 at 05:28 PM.
06-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dunno... looks like it does exactly the same thing as the Canon A1

I know the Super Program had a table like that, but that was a long time ago...

-Eric
06-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
They're not SLRs, but I love the way the Konica C35 cameras simplify program AE:

Chris
Awesome 👍 😁
06-15-2022, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
With built-in mechanical exposure lock to boot.

(The AE systems of Konicas in general are a big part that got me to fall for them all.)

---------- Post added 06-15-22 at 12:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I dunno... looks like it does exactly the same thing as the Canon A1

I know the Super Program had a table like that, but that was a long time ago...

-Eric

Those are two very different animals, and separated by a decade.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-15-2022 at 12:58 AM.