Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What so special with the MZ-S ?

I came across the ad of this camera long time ago before I shoot digital, and I know there was a MZ-D prototype but did not make it to mass production. The styling of the MZ-S was ahead of it's time, I did not like it at first, but I want to have it after viewing some review, I wonder if anyone actually own and used this camera and can share some user experience.

06-25-2022, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You might take a look at the user reviews:

Pentax MZ-S - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

In particular, the review by @gofour3 is quite detailed and one in which I'd place a good deal of confidence...
06-26-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 of them with battery grip. Ergonomically an outstanding camera the reminds me of my K-10 with its grip. I think when they designed the K-10, the engineers used the MZ-S as their model. It’s such a fun camera. Outstanding with the limited lenses. A few of the rubber port covers have deteriorated over time. If you find one in good shape, get it.

Last edited by thix2112; 06-26-2022 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Grammar
06-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It felt as good in the hand as it looked! Grip had the right angles to situate your finger over the release in vertical position. If you want to dabble with film, I recommend it highly! My favorite Pentax film camera by far!

06-26-2022, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's rather bizarre and original looking, but in the hand it's undoubtedly my favorite modern film SLR. The handling and functionality are incredibly well thought out and intuitive IMO.
Honestly I don't shoot with mine enough. I'll have to get it out soon now that you bring it up.
There seem to be (around here) those in the Z1p (and similar) camp, and those in the MZ-S camp. I'm in the latter.
06-26-2022, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I recently bought one and it has become one of my favourites. It sits nicely in the hand, its quite quiet for an autowind camera, it has all the features I was after. The rubber bungs turn to mush though so most of the examples I have come across are missing them. I don't have the grip, I'm not fond of them and like the smaller form factor. Unlike the other MZ series cameras I have held (not many to be honest), it feels solid and well built.

My only worry is that at times it seems a bit too easy to burn through film, more like the way I use digital. Could be expensive....!
06-27-2022, 05:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MZ-S is one Pentax model I never tried, but I thought I might want to one day.

Is there any sure way to tell which ones were made with the improved (metal) motor gear?
Is the consensus that bottom cover "PENTAX Corporation is good/ASAHI OPT. CO. LTD. is bad?

Chris

06-27-2022, 05:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was really looking forward to the release of the MZ-S back in the day but when it came out I didn't consider it a big enough advancement to my Z1 to warrant buying one. I have to say that I have never regretted that decision. My next camera was my *istD...
06-27-2022, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I wonder if anyone actually own and used this camera and can share some user experience.
I bought my MZ-S ~6 years ago. I think it is one of Pentax's finest cameras.
I have a lot of Pentax film cameras to choose from and the MZ-S quickly became one of my favorites.
Any poor photo from this camera has been due to 'user error'.

I use it with the BG-10 grip as the Grip + Camera fits my hands better.
Kool feature I like about my MZ-S is it consistently gets 37 shots out of each 36-exposure roll of film

Here are some links to some of my MZ-S photos I have posted here on PF:

:cool: Lets see those ''film'' shots - Page 938 - PentaxForums.com
Garonne River Bridge - PentaxForums.com
:cool: Lets see those ''film'' shots - Page 1214 - PentaxForums.com
:cool: Lets see those ''film'' shots - Page 1068 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Moe49; 06-27-2022 at 09:04 AM.
06-27-2022, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The MZ-S is one Pentax model I never tried, but I thought I might want to one day.
I too have always wanted to try this camera (I've used just about every Pentax K-mount film camera (and several m42-mount ones too)) so I bought two within the last month. They are pictured here: Introduce your... film Pentax! - Page 230 - PentaxForums.com.

I've really enjoyed using them. The ergonomics, build quality, and design are great. I definitely prefer the MZ-S to the PZ-1p. The max shutter speed is only 1/6000 second compared to the PZ's 1/8000, but I'm okay with this. The only thing I'm not a fan of is moving the selectable AF point in the MZ-S. You have to slide and hold a spring-loaded switch on the front while rotating the rear dial. Other than this I find the camera very nice.

Is there any sure way to tell which ones were made with the improved (metal) motor gear?
Is the consensus that bottom cover "PENTAX Corporation is good/ASAHI OPT. CO. LTD. is bad.
I've read this advice too, and looked for a serial number higher than 5xxxx. It was easy to find black ones with Pentax Corp and 5xxxx on the bottom, but I couldn't find silver ones with either. I wanted silver to match my lenses and the *ist. So far both silver bodies work great and I'm not too worried about the gear. If it breaks I'll replace it. I have not opened either up to verify it is plastic though.The gear on my MZ-3 is split and I have a brass gear waiting for me to set aside some time to fix it.
06-27-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just finished reading a couple reviews, looked it over, and checked out the pictures linked above. Everything looks and sounds great....then I checked ebay sold items...

Hey! I have a one owner, minty P3 and half a dozen really clean third party lenses. Anyone want to trade? 🤣 😂 🤣

Seriously, if one could get a decent deal, looks like it would be a great camera to have.
06-27-2022, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Is the consensus that bottom cover "PENTAX Corporation is good/ASAHI OPT. CO. LTD. is bad?

Chris
That seems to be consensus. Frankly though, I've poured over every thread on this matter multiple times over these years (more than a decade) and I remain a bit unconvinced that it's the necessarily the same part. At the very least the camera is entirely different from the other MZ/ZX varieties... But more than that, simply, there's yet to be a single photo of a plastic gear, or even the gear-box itself of an MZ-S that's been torn-down. I'd do it myself but it wouldn't be definitive since I don't know my MZ-S's history (whether it was serviced or not) and more selfishly, I just won't risk putting it it up for "exploratory procedure".

(I believe mine has a brass gear even though it fall in the "Asahi 4xxx" production run. But I can't say for sure, as is usual with this topic.)

---------- Post added 06-27-22 at 05:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I just finished reading a couple reviews, looked it over, and checked out the pictures linked above. Everything looks and sounds great....then I checked ebay sold items...

Hey! I have a one owner, minty P3 and half a dozen really clean third party lenses. Anyone want to trade? 🤣 😂 🤣

Seriously, if one could get a decent deal, looks like it would be a great camera to have.
Pretty much the only thing I dislike about it, which is incredibly superficial, is its shutter/advance sound. It's rather whiny and thin sounding. BUT... for an auto-advance, it's incredibly quiet, so it gets a pass.
06-28-2022, 02:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Beware, the MZ-S can suffer from the plight of the other MZ cameras - a cheap plastic cog on the motor that drives the mirror movement can crack and block the mirror position. It can be fixed but it's a complex repair, not for anyone without extensive experience.

Personally I use a couple of Z-1s because (1) I believe they're more reliable (2) they're much easier to find (3) they're much cheaper and (4) they go to 1/8000s max shutter speed (handy when you like shooting at large apertures in the full Spanish sun).
06-28-2022, 08:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

My MZ-S has an entirely different problem which I thought only affected later cameras. If you put the lens on A, the camera does not close the aperture down when you take a photo resulting in grossly over-exposed images. Thankfully, I'm more than happy using aperture priority mode (it is what I use on my K-3iii 99% of the time) so it isn't a problem now I know what the fault is. Annoying though, I dislike having cameras with "quirks". Despite that, I've quickly become fond of the MZ-S and have it with me today loaded with some BW film or other...
06-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Beware, the MZ-S can suffer from the plight of the other MZ cameras - a cheap plastic cog on the motor that drives the mirror movement can crack and block the mirror position.
I still remain rather unconvinced it's a real risk, but may well be. Have yet to see this substantiated with photos here. All teardowns I've seen have been failure in other mz/zx models. I just fear the "most repeated thing is true" internet tendency. The Mz5n, Mz-3, etc for instance, are known risks... But of the Z1and MZ-S models, I've seen the same number of failures reported here: two. Both ambiguous. One of the mirror locked z1 belonged to Colton here.