Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #1

Pentax S1a mirror stuck in up position when lens attached

I have recently found and am trying to use my grandads old Pentax S1a film camera. For some reason when the lens is attached, at shutter speeds of less than 1/60, the mirror stays stuck in the up position.

Having messed about with it this only happens when the aperture pin is in the correct position infront of the plate at the bottom of the camera. When the pin is to the side the camera works just fine at all shutter speeds.

The aperture pin is unfortunately not entirely straight and I think this is what is causing the mirror to stick. I am unsure as to what to do about this and don't particularly like the idea of cutting off the aperture pin or trying to bend it back into place.

If anyone has any ideas on what I could do I would be very thankful

---------- Post added 06-27-22 at 01:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Keith_Lightning Quote
I have recently found and am trying to use my grandads old Pentax S1a film camera. For some reason when the lens is attached, at shutter speeds of less than 1/60, the mirror stays stuck in the up position.

Having messed about with it this only happens when the aperture pin is in the correct position infront of the plate at the bottom of the camera. When the pin is to the side the camera works just fine at all shutter speeds.

The aperture pin is unfortunately not entirely straight and I think this is what is causing the mirror to stick. I am unsure as to what to do about this and don't particularly like the idea of cutting off the aperture pin or trying to bend it back into place.

The lens is the Takumar 55mm f/2

06-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
WOW, this is a tough one.
I would think it is repairable by a professional. I might recommend the Asahi Photo at the following link:
Asahi Photo – Pentax Repair and Service

Good luck : )
06-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does the aperture pin work the lens fine if you actuate it by hand?

The problem could be with the lens, not the camera...

Do you have a different lens you could try on it?

-Eric
06-27-2022, 06:22 PM   #4

That lens would probably be less expensive to replace than to repair professionally. DIY repair may not be to difficult to remove the pin and straighten it. A pin bent like could indicate the lens was dropped and there maybe more damage. The f/2 lens were the budget lenses and are fairly numerous.

06-27-2022, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith_Lightning Quote

---------- Post added 06-27-22 at 01:53 PM ----------

The lens is the Takumar 55mm f/2
I've had both an S1a and SV sorted out and CLA'd by Eric Hendrickson in the past. The S series and their Super Takumars are not complicated; they were some of the least expensive items I've sent him to have worked on and both arrived back good as gold.
06-28-2022, 01:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Takumar 55mm f/2s (and f/1.8s - same lens just a little faster) are easy to find and cheap. I'd recommend getting another one and trying it out.
06-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Does the aperture pin work the lens fine if you actuate it by hand?

The problem could be with the lens, not the camera...

Do you have a different lens you could try on it?

-Eric
It does but it occasionally gets a bit stuck - I have only ever used it on manual mode though if that helps

06-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #8

Do you have any other Takumar lenses you could test the body with?
06-29-2022, 11:06 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Do you have any other Takumar lenses you could test the body with?
annoyingly no

I am currently in the process of looking for another one on eBay - thanks everyone for the advice!