Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

Camera Body Parts Material

I have an older camera, an H3, that I would like to buff and general clean up but I don't know what I am dealing with.
Are the body parts bare aluminum or do they have coatings? Maybe a copper layer and a layer of maybe aluminum as a final coat?
I don't want to get so aggressive that I remove a layer.
I did see an article here from someone that "buffed" out the body parts of an H3 but there wasn't any detail.
Is there a forum section that would likely have threads about this subject?

06-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try

Maintenance and Repair Articles - PentaxForums.com
Do-It-Yourself - PentaxForums.com

And the search in the forum section with several key words like disassemble clean ...body or camera , a lot depends on the key words , bit creativity needed.
06-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you for example google

clean old Pentax SLR

you will find a lot of sensible information.
One would be:
How to Clean Up Your Old Cameras | PetaPixel
06-28-2022, 05:20 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Ed,

I was going to reply to your post in my thread but I see your question here as well.
First of all, welcome to the forum!
The metal on these older cameras is plated brass. That's why we see rub marks leaving a golden color and it is called "brassing".
Here is an example:

For cleaning, start with the mildest process and work your way up. Start with something like distilled water in a cotton swab. I have found that non-acetone nail polish remover is very good to clean camera top covers. Household cleaners like Mr. Clean and 409 also work, but you need to be careful liquid doesn't seep into the camera or lens. You can also use metal polishers like BRASSO and Blue Magic, but
I would recommend using it only with cotton swabs and rags.
I don't recommend using a power tool (Dremel) for that. It can rub thru the finish like this, when I was trying to remove heavy pitting and corrosion from a "lost" body:

Start slow and have fun! Let me know if I can be of any help. I am usually hiding in the Vintage Camera section of this forum where I share my non-Pentax work, and the FILM section for my Pentax work.
Most importantly, have fun!

Thanks,
Ismael

06-30-2022, 06:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello Ed,

I was going to reply to your post in my thread but I see your question here as well.
First of all, welcome to the forum!
The metal on these older cameras is plated brass. That's why we see rub marks leaving a golden color and it is called "brassing".
Here is an example:

For cleaning, start with the mildest process and work your way up. Start with something like distilled water in a cotton swab. I have found that non-acetone nail polish remover is very good to clean camera top covers. Household cleaners like Mr. Clean and 409 also work, but you need to be careful liquid doesn't seep into the camera or lens. You can also use metal polishers like BRASSO and Blue Magic, but
I would recommend using it only with cotton swabs and rags.
I don't recommend using a power tool (Dremel) for that. It can rub thru the finish like this, when I was trying to remove heavy pitting and corrosion from a "lost" body:

Start slow and have fun! Let me know if I can be of any help. I am usually hiding in the Vintage Camera section of this forum where I share my non-Pentax work, and the FILM section for my Pentax work.
Most importantly, have fun!

Thanks,
Ismael
Thanks, exactly what I was trying to find out. Still looking for resources on camera manufacture, especially Pentax....ie, books, articles on the industrial,technical, engineering side.
07-04-2022, 07:11 PM - 3 Likes   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Smith Quote
I have an older camera, an H3, that I would like to buff and general clean up but I don't know what I am dealing with.
Are the body parts bare aluminum or do they have coatings? Maybe a copper layer and a layer of maybe aluminum as a final coat?
I don't want to get so aggressive that I remove a layer.
I did see an article here from someone that "buffed" out the body parts of an H3 but there wasn't any detail.
Is there a forum section that would likely have threads about this subject?
I usually wipe my cameras down with distilled water mixed with 90% alcohol. (3-parts water 1-part alcohol). I have a spray bottled filled with the solution that I keep in storage on a shelf for future cleanings. I spray a lint free cotton fiber cloth liberally with the mix, then wipe down the camera. The 90% alcohol evaporates quickly so the camera dry's fast. If I have dirty nooks that are hard to clean, then I wet a Q-tip with my cleaner and hit the nooks. It can be very hard cleaning between the dials, so I sometimes I will take a toothpick and gently push a cotton swab into those tight places (be careful not to push the toothpick through the cotton) a thin piece of cotton towel cut into small section can be used also, this is probably a safer solution. This can be time consuming, but eventually the dirt will disappear. Be careful when cleaning not to let any solution seep behind the door or get into place that could cause issues.

Polishing the metal bits after a good cleaning is the next step of course. I use a metal polish called Flitz Polish, it works on metal, plastic and fiberglass. I simply apply is with a clean fiber free cotton towel and remove the coat before it dries. I gently buff the metal with a clean towel until the camera eventually starts to shine.

There are other approaches of course. I am sure everyone has a special technique to cleaning their gear, this is my approach, and it has worked well for me for many years.

I just cleaned my ST 801, and it's a night and day difference. I still may touch her up a bit. I get very picky sometimes and don't know when to say when.

Last edited by spiralcity; 07-04-2022 at 07:24 PM.