Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-S battery supply?

one caveat is that these suckers use CR2 3V lithiums

is juice the only rechargable option?

or just rely on the battery grip with the 4AA's ??

12-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that's the general idea, Gooshin, but I think I can still find those batteries down here for you, if you need?

No promises, but I think.
12-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
whats the idea?

to use the battery grip, or to buy the Juice variety? (there is also those blue/green HK variety)
12-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, sorry, I don't know what Juice is, I thought you were talking about plugging into the wall or something, there. ...juice is just slang for 'electricity' in my little world.

'general idea' was I thought you had to either have something that fits CR2 or use the AA grip. I don't know about that other thing.

I don't know about the status of those batteries, but I think they're the same size as what I was going to power up my sweetie's P&S camera from college with last year, but sweetie's interest in that waned before I actually bought any.

12-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well it seems there are only 3 options for a recharable CR2 - 3v that i can easily find

the "Juice Battery" rated for 3.6v

for 28$ for the charger + 1 battery, and around 10-14$ for a single battery

there is the ebay made in hong kong blue/green variety,

for 21-25$ you get a double-charger and 4 batteries, also rated for 3.6v

and finally some weird panasonic rechargeable low-ampere 3.0v one, for like 4 bucks a battery, but i cant seem to find an applicable charger!
12-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

is juice the only rechargable option?

or just rely on the battery grip with the 4AA's ??
Get the BG-10 battery grip. Not only will you save a ton of money on batteries, but the MZ-S becomes so much nicer to handle.

NiMH batteries in the BG-10 will last almost forever between charges; I think I am able to expose about 50 rolls of film over two months between charges.

I don't recommend anything but a Pentax BG-10. I wouldn't waste my money on a cheap eBay knockoff. Besides, the BG-10 is only the cost of about 12 sets of lithium batteries anyway.
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i know you're trying to push the MZ-S's

but thats not what i asked

i asked what my alternatives were, because i may not always WANT to have the grip on.

i would like to have options.

12-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Google rechargeable CR2 batteries
there are some

i know you're trying to push the MZ-S's

but thats not what i asked

i asked what my alternatives were, because i may not always WANT to have the grip on.

i would like to have options.
12-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Google rechargeable CR2 batteries
there are some
*facepalm

i did... read my other post

i'm asking for feedback
12-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I found the same one, have not tried any of those.
I would guess any of them is good, but is it worth it?
how many rolls do you get from a set of CR2s?
if it is more than 50 I would not even think of getting rechargables

*facepalm

i did... read my other post

i'm asking for feedback
12-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

what's wrong w/ using CR2's? anyone know how many rolls you can shoot on a fresh set?
12-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just an added expense

plus it also depends on if you use the built in flash or not, and how often you engage autofocus.

if things turn out the way i'm planning i may stick around with film for quite some time, might even put the K20D down.
12-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love the MZS and the grip, by far the best ergnomics and usable design of any Pentax camera ever made...film or digi. However, I learned to reject rechargeable batteries for photo uses when trying--oh 40 or 50 of them in the MZS grip. Brand after brand...they didn't work with K100D back then either...
I don't know if other users are indoor only or what, but rechargeable batteries don't work in the field outdoors. Macro where each shot takes 15 to 20 minutes of set-up--I want the camera on during this setup--less than a morning lifespan. Working animals or birds from a blind...maybe an hour or two at most if you are shooting much at all. Typical 300 to 400 shot morning shoot (birds or animals) and rechargeables fail (thats just 10 rolls, plus or minus). Go outdoors below 40 degrees and walk a trail with camera on a tripod getting cold--battery failure! Playing with ice photos in the winter? Forget about it, rechargeables barely work long enough for the camera to turn on (ok I'm exaggerating now, but you get my point).
Perhaps for situations where the camera is turned on, image taken and camera turned off you can use rechargeables, but for outdoor field work don't bother trying the "green" approach. It isn't workable and I've tried various brands and various chargers. In fact, I have a new unopened charger that plugs into an auto power outlet if any of the rechargeable acceptance group would like to buy it cheap!
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If I remember the manuals for the MZ-6/ZX-L & MZ-7 have a table that gives you the usage levels for the batteries, including how much you can expect if you use the built in flash. I can't remember if the MZ-S manual has this, but even if it doesn't the MZ-6 table should give you a rough indication of how long CR2 batteries last on the MZ-S.

I am at work so I don't have the manuals in front of me but you can download the camera manuals from Pentax website and take a look yourself.

Hope this helps. I have no experience with CR2's since I always use the grip on my MZ-6/MZ-S.
12-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

if things turn out the way i'm planning i may stick around with film for quite some time, might even put the K20D down.
that's what i'm doing too ... long live film!

Last edited by k100d; 12-19-2008 at 10:07 AM.