Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2022, 07:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film photography primer DVD?

I recently gave my daughter a Pentax MX 35mm film SLR for her first serious try at film photography.

As a basic primer in film photography I gave her a copy of the book Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual by Henry Horenstein.

Are there any DVDs you can recommend specifically for film photography that are not too complicated for someone just starting out?

TIA,
Chris

07-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #2

I think I have a set of DVDs on intro to photography. I'll look today. PM me your address and I'll send them out.
07-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
5shot thanks for your generous offer.

Still seeking additional recommended titles...

Chris
07-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Several years old, but may still be useful. No experience with it, just found it when searching the topic:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-photography-dvds---audiobooks-2016-30114

07-16-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To clarify my daughter has used various digital cameras and her phone for years,
but no film cameras regularly since she used an Olympus P&S I gave her as a child.

She has a good eye, so there's really no need to go deep into composition etc.

I would like to help her mostly with basic film camera operation, so something a little more
comprehensive and engaging than the Pentax instruction manual would be a good start.

Years ago I had a good film SLR primer CD put out by Canon but I'm sure it's too old for Windows 10.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 07-16-2022 at 11:25 AM.
07-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
To clarify my daughter has used various digital cameras and her phone for years,
but no film cameras regularly since she used an Olympus P&S I gave her as a child.

She has a good eye, so there's really no need to go deep into composition etc.

I would like to help her mostly with basic film camera operation, so something a little more
comprehensive and engaging than the Pentax instruction manual would be a good start.

Years ago I had a good film SLR primer CD put out by Canon but I'm sure it's too old for Windows 10.

Chris
If she's familiar with digital photography then the biggest difference with b&w film photography is that you need to err on overexposure instead of underexposure.

I wonder if b&w photography classes are available in your area? This can be more engaging then a DVD. Plus, a hands-on approach - as well as film and print developing, could be a lot of fun.
07-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A hands-on course would no doubt be great, and there are plenty of offerings in New York City.
Unfortunately working full-time and going to graduate school at night makes this option unlikely.

Chris

07-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A hands-on course would no doubt be great, and there are plenty of offerings in New York City.
Unfortunately working full-time and going to graduate school at night makes this option unlikely.

Chris
Kids these days with their priorities . . .

Great job dad!
07-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Kids these days with their priorities . . .

Next fall if she enrolls in one academic course instead of the usual two I will offer to pay for a photo course.

Chris
07-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

O come on - she's a kid - YouTube.

Just a little monitoring to make sure she gets to the right videos.

PS - I was talking to my cousin and he didn't know what a DVD was. I know he has a DVD player (somewhere) but nowadays, it has to fit on the screen of his iphone or it's not in his technical vocabulary.

An added thought: You can look at what's available on YouTube and select and download some good videos to a thumbdrive to give to your daughter. Downloaded video files can be watched on most portable devices and you can pick the videos you deem best for her to watch. Just Google "downloading YouTube videos" if you don't have a downloader utility.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-16-2022 at 02:28 PM.
07-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
O come on - she's a kid - YouTube.

Just a little monitoring to make sure she gets to the right videos.

Many of the "how to" photography videos I've seen there are just plain awful.
Of course I might feel that way because I'm just as opinionated as the videographer.

Besides, I like to think of myself as old school (or old fart if you prefer).
Maybe I can find something in the Prelinger Archives; perhaps some 8mm films, or filmstrips...

Chris
07-17-2022, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I can't be of much help in the DVD request (or VHS ) , but since she already has some basics in digital, my general advise is:
In digital, protect the highlights. In film, protect the shadows.

Thanks,
Ismael
07-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My daughter is definitely not averse to books, so I will continue to look for others that are suitable for a beginner.

I will of course help her as much as I can myself, but sometimes a little distance makes the learning easier.

Chris
07-18-2022, 06:26 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Asahi Pentax Way is pretty decent book in a vintage sort of way…

Though some of its appeal may be lost on someone less, well, vintage than I am

I think there were books on other brands by the same guy. And there was a set of books in the 90s that covered many of the big sellers. White glossy paperbacks as I recall…

Magic Lantern Guides. And there were several series on classics. More gear focused (how to work that model of camera) than general photography instructions, though…

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 07-18-2022 at 06:32 PM.
07-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #15

I recently gave my daughter a Pentax MX 35mm film SLR for her first serious try at film photography.

As a basic primer in film photography I gave her a copy of the book Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual by Henry Horenstein.

Are there any DVDs you can recommend specifically for film photography that are not too complicated for someone just starting out?

TIA,
Chris
I would suggest a nice primer on understanding film and exposure. The latitude of the film should be fully understood by every film photographer, starting them young is best. It truly isn't that extreme to comprehend.

I haven't read through this link simply because I have no desire to do so. I have went through this type of information on 3 separate occasions during schooling. I would imagine this site covers the same basics.
https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/microscope-resource/primer/photomicro.../filmexposure/

This site may be a bit less dense and a much easier read.
https://www.tpub.com/journalist/116.htm

Or maybe this

Last edited by spiralcity; 07-20-2022 at 11:26 AM.