Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2022, 05:53 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

I see the biggest issue/impediment to many film shooters these days being the infrequency of use; disjointed process in camera and/or darkroom.

07-28-2022, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would say most of us are in the same boat and people only post the few real good ones and the rest get hidden away! I have taken photos at a couple of weddings and i always want decent photos but i'm always looking for that one photo with that "wow" factor. Get some decent hits and a home run and i'm satisfied.
08-03-2022, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by spiralcity Quote
How many folks have experienced what you perceive to be a wasted roll of film due to the fact that you failed to take your time, and or may not have been as inspired as you should have while shooting a roll of film?
For me, shooting is a big part of the fun of film photography. Sometimes I'm disappointed with the pictures, but I rarely regard a roll of film as wasted -- there's usually something I can learn from a roll that didn't go well.

Aaron
08-03-2022, 10:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A much better photographer than all of us said one really good image a month is a good rate for keepers. He shot film too. And don’t forget the famous photo essay “In America” by Robert Capa which has between 80 and 90 images all shot on film. How many do you think he took in making that book?

28 thousand!

Last edited by StiffLegged; 08-03-2022 at 11:02 PM.
08-04-2022, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A much better photographer than all of us said one really good image a month is a good rate for keepers. He shot film too. And don’t forget the famous photo essay “In America” by Robert Capa which has between 80 and 90 images all shot on film. How many do you think he took in making that book?

28 thousand!
28 Thousand, and each one wound by hand...

I doubt Capa ever had "three rolls of exactly the same shot" like I've seen some more modern photographers do...

Whenever I go out and burn 400 frames on digital in the space of an afternoon, it's usually thoughts like that that send me out with a film camera the next time...

-Eric
08-04-2022, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
28 Thousand, and each one wound by hand...

I doubt Capa ever had "three rolls of exactly the same shot" like I've seen some more modern photographers do...

Whenever I go out and burn 400 frames on digital in the space of an afternoon, it's usually thoughts like that that send me out with a film camera the next time...

-Eric
Just for comparison, Capa had a taken to published rate for his book of around 300:1 so I have to ask what’s changed? I shot several hundred at an air display recently and have perhaps three I’m really pleased with. And do you know how many frames Cartier-Bresson took making his famous winding steps and blurred cyclist image? Have a hunt on the net for his contact sheet and you’ll see.

The OP shouldn’t beat himself up because no shots on that roll worked out to his satisfaction, just try to learn what didn’t work about them. Ask yourself what each photo is about, and without considering composition rules ask yourself what the eye gets drawn to first and why. Or zoom out to a very low display size and see what catches your eye in the image. Some people even try turning the image upside down to check this.
08-04-2022, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Some people even try turning the image upside down to check this.
Wait, you're suggesting we possibly view or images on the ground glass of a press/view camera? Awesome!

08-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I shoot haphazardly, with predictably terrible results. Then I get drunk and stoned, and play video games in my mom's basement. This doesn't help.