Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2022, 03:26 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon FM vs the Voigtlander Vito II

I was fortunate enough to have both cameras on me at the same time and compose a similar shot in this highly unScientific comparison.

My 43 year old SLR Nikon FM with Fuji 100 film and my newly purchased 71 year old scale focus folding camera Voigtlander Vito II also with Fuji 100 film. I am impressed with both. And who couldn't like the name Vito?

Vito II

Vito II Photo

Nikon FM Photo

Nikon FM

08-04-2022, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both look good but I give the edge to nikon for sharpness when zooming into the front steps and the little frog statue at the left of the steps. Also I think the voightlander lens is a Tessar formula 4 elements in 3 groups where the nikon is probably 6 elements and multucoated. Dont know what your exposure was...but iso 100 on an overcast day you're probably 125th at f/4 or so. I'd like to see both lenses at f/8 or f/11.
08-05-2022, 02:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're not helping.
My Vito is in pieces in a box because I can't get the shutter open to un-jam it...

-Eric
08-05-2022, 04:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
You're not helping.
My Vito is in pieces in a box because I can't get the shutter open to un-jam it...

-Eric
Been there done that. Another 20 bucks on eBay should solve your problem

08-05-2022, 05:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vitos are really cool cameras, pocketable, easy to use and the lens is very good.
I have been lucky to buy a couple that were well taken care of, and have a full set of acceories for it including a rangefinder (TELEX)
What shutter is in your Vito?
I have 2 with Prontor and Prontor SV but I have seen a very select few that hace a Compur - Synchro Compur.

Vito II with lenshood and box
08-05-2022, 05:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Vitos are really cool cameras, pocketable, easy to use and the lens is very good.
I have been lucky to buy a couple that were well taken care of, and have a full set of acceories for it including a rangefinder (TELEX)
What shutter is in your Vito?
I have 2 with Prontor and Prontor SV but I have seen a very select few that hace a Compur - Synchro Compur.

Vito II with lenshood and box
Mine is the Synchro-Compur. Color Skopar 50mm 3.5 lens. What advantage does the Synchro-Compur have if any?

I've really gotten the bug for these cameras so I just purchased a Vito C and am hoping to pick up a B model very soon.
08-05-2022, 11:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Compur goes to 1/500 while Pronto(r) goes to 300 in these models

I like Compurs, as they are harder to break in my opinion (but of course the experts disagree)

My uncle had a Vito CLR and it fared very well with my dad's Zeiss Ikon Contessa. All family picutres were well exposed and had a gorgeous look
The Vito B is a good camera, I have the BL but the ightmetering is finicky (Bewi or Bertram) when compared to the CL and CLR

Some of my Voigtlanders

Voigtlander | Flickr

---------- Post added 05-08-22 at 14:49 ----------

Also check the camera.wiki.org pages of the Voigtlanders for more info
Vito BL - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Last edited by titrisol; 08-05-2022 at 11:57 AM.
08-05-2022, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Compur goes to 1/500 while Pronto(r) goes to 300 in these models

I like Compurs, as they are harder to break in my opinion (but of course the experts disagree)

My uncle had a Vito CLR and it fared very well with my dad's Zeiss Ikon Contessa. All family picutres were well exposed and had a gorgeous look
The Vito B is a good camera, I have the BL but the ightmetering is finicky (Bewi or Bertram) when compared to the CL and CLR

Some of my Voigtlanders

Voigtlander | Flickr

---------- Post added 05-08-22 at 14:49 ----------

Also check the camera.wiki.org pages of the Voigtlanders for more info
Vito BL - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
I have the Zeiss ICON Contina. I'm not sure why but my Vito II takes much clearer and better rendered photographs.

---------- Post added 08-05-22 at 02:17 PM ----------

Zeiss Icon Contina

Vito II

Last edited by Driline; 08-05-2022 at 12:18 PM.
08-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The Novar is a triplet (3 elements), which makes it less corrected than the Skopar/Tessar (4 elements in 3 groups)
Voigtlander had the "Ultron" which was a 6 elements in 4 groups and could be bought at a premium in the Vito III, Vitessa and other cameras.

Is your lens clean? It seems hazy

Last edited by titrisol; 08-06-2022 at 12:26 PM.
08-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Novar is a triplet (3 elements), which makes it less corrected than the Skopar/Tessar (4 elements in 3 groups)
Voigtlander had the "Ultron" which was a 5 element and couldbe bought at a premium is the Vitessa and other cameras
I doubt any of the vitos had it

Could be. I’ll need to check it out.
08-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Voigtlander had the "Ultron" which was a 5 element and couldbe bought at a premium is the Vitessa and other cameras

Rear lens is a bit hazy. I'm not too keen on tearing it apart to clean it. I'd have to send it in somewhere.

---------- Post added 08-05-22 at 06:07 PM ----------

Any recommendations as to who could clean an Old Zeiss Icon Contina II rear hazy lens? I've seen some youtube videos on a similar model and boy I would not want to attempt that feat.
08-06-2022, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Synchro Compur also does flash, which the basic Compur Rapid does not.

Mine has the Compur Rapid at 1/500 s and no flash...

-Eric
08-06-2022, 04:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster

-Eric
Mine has the flash and actually works great.It has no shoe so I’m looking to purchase a vintage L bracket flash holder.
08-06-2022, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The early Compur Rapids didn't.

I don't know when they made that change, but on an early (postwar) Vito brochure I found somewhere online, I want to say the Synchro Compur did 1/200, the Prontor did 1/300, and the Compur Rapid did 1/500 with no flash.

I've got mid-50s Retinas with Compur Rapids that are great with flash... though they also have accessory shoes...

My Vito seems to have been folded in a hurry once, and the mechanical linkage deformed the shutter casing. The shutter works, but it needs cleaning and a little lube, but I can't figure out how to get into it.

-Eric
08-06-2022, 07:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Start with the easy fixes, try cleaning the rear element form the back
Use a qtip and see if the haze is on the outer surface

It shouldn't be hard to take the rear element out through the back either

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Any recommendations as to who could clean an Old Zeiss Icon Contina II rear hazy lens? I've seen some youtube videos on a similar model and boy I would not want to attempt that feat.

---------- Post added 06-08-22 at 10:37 ----------

-Eric
The Prontor SV does flash as well, I think the differences are mostly cosmetic and the change in the speed from old school (1sec, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/20, 1/50, 1/100, 1/300 ) to modern (1sec, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 1/250 )