Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #16

I've only bought one camera off eBay and I wanted it more for the lens and flash. It was a Lester Dine macro kit on a Pentax MZ/ZX-50. The flash and lens were in excellent condition. The body suffered from the popup flash spring problem and the mirror locked up on the first or second test shot I tried. Apparently the mirror motor pinion gear had started to split since the last time it was used by the previous owner.

I don't think it is worth my time doing a DIY fix.

08-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last camera I bought was a Canon eos 2000. I bought it for $50 shipped because of the four rolls of b&w film that came with it.

Anyone interested in the camera? Camera works great, lens is a little noisy. Comes with a brand new battery.

lol

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 08-06-2022 at 10:56 AM.
08-06-2022, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
No. Many were untested and so I took a chance. One camera was stated as working when it actually was not so I reached out to the seller and was offered a full refund. It was only a 20 dollar Yashica MG so no big deal. The Nikon FM required a new prism which was sort of disclosed so I sent it in for a full CLA and has been one of my best purchases yet. None of the vintage 1940 ‘s or 50’s era rangefinder cameras have been CLA’d as I’m unaware of who or what company could still service such an old camera like my Zeiss ICON Contina 1A which requires a rear hazy lens to be cleaned.
In most of my price range, I seldom see one represented as 100%. I've only bought a couple vintage of ebay and I must be batting over a thousand since the LX I won for $60 - no back or prism sold as-is not working for parts only, turned out to be 100% now going on 10 years. Too bad as I wanted a non working sample to practice on . . .

A vast majority of my vintage camera acquisitions were off craigslist - mostly local but some from across the country. Most represented as from relative who passed and know nothing about it. With few exceptions, most were 100%. Unlike most I see on auction, most came with all kinds of accessories too.

Last edited by LesDMess; 08-06-2022 at 01:39 PM.
08-06-2022, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO one should be realistic when buying and assume some sort of service will
be necessary, even if just CLA with seals and foam in the case of a 35mm SLR.

If you buy a Pentax mechanical SLR your odds of success are very good - as long
as we still have Eric Hendrickson. FWIW he's the main reason I got into Pentax...

Chris

08-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Many were untested and so I took a chance. One camera was stated as working when it actually was not so I reached out to the seller and was offered a full refund. It was only a 20 dollar Yashica MG so no big deal. The Nikon FM required a new prism which was sort of disclosed so I sent it in for a full CLA and has been one of my best purchases yet. None of the vintage 1940 ‘s or 50’s era rangefinder cameras have been CLA’d as I’m unaware of who or what company could still service such an old camera like my Zeiss ICON Contina 1A which requires a rear hazy lens to be cleaned.
I have bought over 120 cameras on eBay, and my selections have generally been satisfactory. A lot of problems just need a little love, and many are resolved with a touch of lubricant on the tip of a toothpick, or a solvent carefully injected into shutters and timer mechanisms. On others, if you can get access to the shutter or aperture blades, a (gentle) wipe with isopropyl can often free them up. I have sold about 65 of my cameras at a camera fair, and am now down to about 60, concentrating on Pentax, Kodak Retina and Retinette and three Yashicas . I avoid many problems by staying away form Automation, although I confess to having an SP ES11, and Pentax K2, Pentax LX, ME. (Pentax ME Supers, MF are trouble)
08-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO one should be realistic when buying and assume some sort of service will
be necessary, even if just CLA with seals and foam in the case of a 35mm SLR.

If you buy a Pentax mechanical SLR your odds of success are very good - as long
as we still have Eric Hendrickson. FWIW he's the main reason I got into Pentax...

Chris
Any metal to metal contact of moving parts will require a minimum CLA. It is simply a matter of luck - and many other factors, how soon it will be required.

Knowing that Eric can fix most anything Pentax related definitely eases any possible concerns. Afterall, who doesn't want a fully factory working vintage camera!
08-07-2022, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

One of my best buys off local CL listing - Canon 1VHS for $50, no pictures. This was late 2000 and belonged to a local forensics lab getting rid of old equipment. I couldn't believe it until I paid him, loaded it with film, took some shots and checked out the results - all good!

08-07-2022, 12:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
One of my best buys off local CL listing - Canon 1VHS for $50, no pictures. This was late 2000 and belonged to a local forensics lab getting rid of old equipment. I couldn't believe it until I paid him, loaded it with film, took some shots and checked out the results - all good!

That looks like a fun camera to shoot. All my film SLR's end about 1984 in vintage. I have no newer film cameras.
08-07-2022, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

That looks like a fun camera to shoot. All my film SLR's end about 1984 in vintage. I have no newer film cameras.
Can blow through a roll faster then I can type this!
I've since gotten rid of all my Canon EOS gear in favor of manual focus cameras after I picked up an MX . . .

I figure that with a viewfinder that huge, I don't need autofocus . . .
08-07-2022, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Can blow through a roll faster then I can type this!
I've since gotten rid of all my Canon EOS gear in favor of manual focus cameras after I picked up an MX . . .

I figure that with a viewfinder that huge, I don't need autofocus . . .
Looks like you lost some weight as well. You can definitely see the benefits of exercising....your camera. 😃
08-07-2022, 04:46 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Looks like you lost some weight as well. You can definitely see the benefits of exercising....your camera. 😃
Of course there are bigger manual focus cameras but they use bigger film too . . .

08-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I have bought over 120 cameras on eBay, and my selections have generally been satisfactory
That's good to know. I just got the camera bug again and am waiting for 3 to show up this week on my front door from eBay. I've got a Voigtlander Vito B, Vito C, and an Olympus OM-2N coming my way!
08-07-2022, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know the exact rate...but I'd guess about 50%. The Nikon F4 and F4s i recently purchased were great...but the first F4e i had to send back due to the common aperture failure. I've picked up a number of exakta bodies...all under $50...about half had bad shutter curtains but several Varex and Varex VX bodies had good curtains and just needed a little clean and lube to become film worthy. I'm at 0% with the 2 Konica C35 I got... couldn't get the meter working. Also 0% with the 2 Olympus XAs. I did get a working Olympus Ace-E though the selenium meter is about 2 stops over exposing. My most recent...and one I'm thrilled about...is a Pentax 645 with 120 back i get for parts $120. Turns out the body just needed to be manually cycled and now its working fine. I've put 2 roll of Fuji 400H though it and ill be developing those soon to confirm functionality. (I have another 645 and 4 lenses.)

08-08-2022, 05:13 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I very, very rarely buy a film camera that I haven't handled and checked unless I know I can return it at no cost (ie the seller states that it works and it doesn't).

But then I've bought stuff from reputable dealers who stated it was fine and when it arrived I found it was broken, missing something essential or was full of fungus. Old gear is always a risk if it doesn't come with a guarantee.
08-08-2022, 06:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Vitos are relatively easy to fix, fully mechanical shutters. Lenses are cleanable as well.
I think there are service manuals here : https://learncamerarepair.com/

Olympus made great cameras, I don;t know about their useful life after 40+years. You'll have to at least replace the lightseals

That's good to know. I just got the camera bug again and am waiting for 3 to show up this week on my front door from eBay. I've got a Voigtlander Vito B, Vito C, and an Olympus OM-2N coming my way!