Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2022, 07:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is your eBay success rate on vintage cameras?

I put together some quick statistics of my used Vintage SLR, Rangefinder, and Scale focus cameras purchased on eBay and came up with these stats.

Out of the 16 cameras I purchased on eBay, 5 were non-working and beyond repair while 1 was able to be repaired. So that's roughly a 62% success rate. By and large the 6 SLR camera's had the least amount of issues whilst the older rangefinder and zone focusing models had the bulk of the issues which was not surprising.

Total loss came to $127.49 or about $25.49 per camera. But I am keeping them as they do make nice conversation pieces on my mantle.

What has your success rate been?

(Not all camera's shown)

08-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've purchased four K-mount SLR's, one Ricoh and three Chinons, and they all worked. All were listed as untested and "as is". The one Chinon CE-5 came with a cracked top plate which is extremely common with these and broke later after I put it into service. The others are all going strong. I kind of want more Ricohs as they seem a bit easier to service if they need more than a CLA. In any case, four purchased SLR's and all four worked fine with minor effort.
08-05-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've never bought a vintage camera on eBay, but every Pentax DSLR I've ever owned came from eBay and every one of them worked just fine when it arrived. I make that qualified statement because the very first one I killed in a botched firmware update. I've also bought a bunch of lenses off of eBay with mixed results. Most were fine but a couple were non-functional. Same with flashes.
08-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I put together some quick statistics of my used Vintage SLR, Rangefinder, and Scale focus cameras purchased on eBay and came up with these stats.

Out of the 16 cameras I purchased on eBay, 5 were non-working and beyond repair while 1 was able to be repaired. So that's roughly a 62% success rate. By and large the 6 SLR camera's had the least amount of issues whilst the older rangefinder and zone focusing models had the bulk of the issues which was not surprising.

Total loss came to $127.49 or about $25.49 per camera. But I am keeping them as they do make nice conversation pieces on my mantle.

What has your success rate been?

(Not all camera's shown)
Just to be sure, all 16 cameras were all listed as 100% working but 6 turned out to not be working?

If so, did you have the option of returning the non-working ones but chose to keep them instead?

08-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm kinda like LesDMess - Define "success"!?

Something arrives that works (was it claimed to be)? Or, that it just arrived? Lots of wiggle room here.

I think I've been pretty successful on ebay, both as a seller and a buyer. For buying, I stick with folks that have a high feedback rating (over 99%). For selling, I think my rating speaks for itself (check out "radiometrics").
08-05-2022, 09:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd say maybe a 3 out of (42%) "100% worked when it arrived"

Camera #1: My first slr was a Sears TLS which worked fine when I got it back in like 2014 (got a cla last year, mainly since I didnt know the history of beforehand and figured why not).

Camera #2: Kalimar K90. Lightmeter was off by a few stops, everything else worked fine. Ended up getting it cla'ed to fix the lightmeter & use as a manual backup.

Camera #3: Sears 1000 MX had issues, needed a cla. Ended up selling it at a loss (told the buyer about the issues), didnt really gel with it.

Camera #4: Pentax ZX-L worked perfectly when I got it. (Sold it with the batterypack).

Camera #5: Pentax MZ-S worked perfectly when I got it.

Cameras #6 & 7: Some of the shutter speeds for the Kodak Special Six16- & Six-20 worked, some didnt. Both have been sent out for a CLA & new bellows.

Last edited by disconnekt; 08-05-2022 at 11:00 PM.
08-05-2022, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought dozens of used Pentax film cameras on eBay and all have "worked", though most of them still needed a CLA.

You still need to factor in a CLA for most cameras as part of the purchase price.

Phil.

08-05-2022, 11:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

Most of the cameras I have were bought either on ebay.de or equivalent sites i.e. polish Allegro.

Pentax P30 from Allegro had little crack on the body, but works perfectly.
Pentax SFX from Allegro had one of the strap holders broken but other than is fully functional
Pentax Me Super from ebay, bought as is, worked until I’ve broken it but it is still repairable and I intend to do it one day.
2nd Pentax Me Super from ebay, bought as is in a bundle, works great.
Pentax Mz-M from ebay, bought as is in a bundle, broken motor wheel (predictable)
Pentax Z-70 from ebay, works great
Pentax SFX from ebay, bought as is, works great but had some battery related issues
Ricoh G500 from ebay, bought as is, works great,
Lomo 166B from Allegro, works great.

Most of these cameras I bought in a bundle with other cameras or lenses I wanted to have. All the lenses and other accessories from these buys were in good shape to say the least and are fully functional. All of that stuff was cheap. As for now I’am waiting for a Z-20 and 3rd Me Super. I will update on that in a week.
08-06-2022, 01:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Out of the 16 cameras I purchased on eBay, 5 were non-working and beyond repair
The burning question is :-

Did the seller claim they were working?

I'd be very hacked off if I bought something so claimed but it turned out to be untrue.
08-06-2022, 04:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Just to be sure, all 16 cameras were all listed as 100% working but 6 turned out to not be working?

If so, did you have the option of returning the non-working ones but chose to keep them instead?
No. Many were untested and so I took a chance. One camera was stated as working when it actually was not so I reached out to the seller and was offered a full refund. It was only a 20 dollar Yashica MG so no big deal. The Nikon FM required a new prism which was sort of disclosed so I sent it in for a full CLA and has been one of my best purchases yet. None of the vintage 1940 ‘s or 50’s era rangefinder cameras have been CLA’d as I’m unaware of who or what company could still service such an old camera like my Zeiss ICON Contina 1A which requires a rear hazy lens to be cleaned.

Last edited by Driline; 08-06-2022 at 04:35 AM.
08-06-2022, 05:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had pretty good luck with eBay, but I am generally fairly careful there and only shopping for things I really want, not wandering around.
I'm a little disappointed that eBay is more "fixed price" now than it used to be. It makes it harder to score a really good deal.
I also hate the "I know what I am selling is valuable, but I don't know enough about it to say if it works: as-is" approach to many old cameras.

My fail rate with Goodwill has been much higher, but I try to price that into my bid (and I lose a lot of auctions because of that).

-Eric
08-06-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not been buying a lot of cameras off Ebay of late. Last one was a Konica that turned out as described, in good working order. Funny thing was, the person I purchased from was not an actual person, but a reputable camera shop from a city about 135 miles away. lol

Bought quite a few from shop goodwill over the years. Didn't expect much with the vintage oddball brands, Petrie, Topcon, etc,but also had some very nice surprises. I look very close at the outside appearance. I picked up a beautiful Olympus OM10 kit as well as a Nikon that way. I also purchase from Mercari once in awhile. Picked up a beautiful Super Program that all it needed was a quick wipe down and a roll of film. Even the light seals were in good shape. I also use my local craigslist and have picked up some really nice things. First was a very nice Canon AE1 program in good condition. Next was an Olympus bundle of OM1, OM2n, Om10, and various Olympus lenses, all from the original owner. Last was an absolutely perfect X570 from the original owner.
08-06-2022, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
First was a very nice Canon AE1 program in good condition
I got one of these on Facebook Market place for $75 dollars in excellent condition including a 50mm 1.8 Canon lens. I tested it with film and everything works great!

08-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I've had pretty good luck with eBay, but I am generally fairly careful there and only shopping for things I really want, not wandering around.
I'm a little disappointed that eBay is more "fixed price" now than it used to be. It makes it harder to score a really good deal.
I also hate the "I know what I am selling is valuable, but I don't know enough about it to say if it works: as-is" approach to many old cameras.

My fail rate with Goodwill has been much higher, but I try to price that into my bid (and I lose a lot of auctions because of that).

-Eric
I have abandoned shopgoodwill because of that. In fact I haven’t bought anything in montths from anywhere…
08-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is always a gamble, but most of the times it pays off.
Folding cameras are always problematic since bellows are old and they tend to crack or pinhole and most sellers have no idea