Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2022, 03:05 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All in 100% working condition, all bought from some of the better vendors in Japan. K1000 and LX, plus lenses. Shooting with a KP these days, so I’m shopping for newer gear lately

08-14-2022, 05:54 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
All in 100% working condition, all bought from some of the better vendors in Japan.

Always look closely at the photos in eBay listings.

FWIW I reject anything with rusted film guide rails.
Visible rust indicates possible internal corrosion.

One should pay special attention to this when seller is located in a country with a typically humid climate e.g. Japan.

I have purchased some very nice film cameras on eBay from Japan.
However IMO quality of selection has diminished recently, and described condition is now often overrated.

Chris
08-14-2022, 06:13 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i would say i've got some 80% succes rate. Pictures are often misleading but can be sifted out if you know what to look for. Be VERY aware for the description "not tested" wich in most case is an euphemism for "broken beyond repair" i do understand some items are difficult to test because of specific parts are missing, but a relative young camera that just needs widely available batteries to get it going (or not) isn't an excuse to not test an item. Another trick is the vendor pretends to know nothing about cameras but states "it looks like everything is working" or "my uncle, grandfather, neigbour.... used it for years" inplying it should be OK wich in most cases it is not. then there's the thing of the postal sevices wich recently succeeded in delivering a completely destroyed nikkormat FT3 and a Topcon RE super wich even though they were well packed, didn't survive the negligance of handeling packages with the care that's needed.
08-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Always look closely at the photos in eBay listings.

FWIW I reject anything with rusted film guide rails.
Visible rust indicates possible internal corrosion.

One should pay special attention to this when seller is located in a country with a typically humid climate e.g. Japan.

I have purchased some very nice film cameras on eBay from Japan.
However IMO quality of selection has diminished recently, and described condition is now often overrated.

Chris
I've noticed this as well...

Cameras described as EX+++++ condition with visible rust and fungus

Um, no...

Though I have seen a couple described in the details as EX+++++ <except for>, which bothers me less...

-Eric

08-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I distrust anything which says "not tested because I don't have batteries". For the price of a battery (often merely a couple of AAs or an SR44) they could have got a much better price (and keep the batteries afterwards), so presumably the thing simply doesn't work at all.
08-14-2022, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I've noticed this as well...

Cameras described as EX+++++ condition with visible rust and fungus

Um, no...

Though I have seen a couple described in the details as EX+++++ <except for>, which bothers me less...

-Eric
I know. Almost all listings from a Japanese seller list their cameras as EX and a bunch of + signs afterwards. So that tells me that the camera is in EXCELLENT condition and that it's SOOO Good that I had to add ++++++++++ after it so that it's even BETTER than Excellent! A WHOLE LOT BETTER! So much better that it's +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!

Ugh........
08-14-2022, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love how things are so often mislabeled. I always send the seller a message to correct the listing. Like a Pentax SV labeled as a MX, or one I sent tonight for a Nikon FM that was an EM. I probably send 2-3 messages a week for these. I understand the seller might not know much about cameras, but the model is stamped right on the body. All they need to do is type in whats stamped on the body.... another good one I see are the ones like "camera with 52mm Tiffen lens".

08-14-2022, 07:25 PM - 3 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

In trying to acquire my first Pentax LX, I came across this CL listing stating in great condition and I recall it was listed for about $350. I contacted the seller for better pics then the ad and these are what he sent reassuring me it was fully functional. Problem was It was also not local to me and would require I send cash and pay for shipping. Money was burning in my pocket for an LX but I decided not to buy it. What do you think?

08-14-2022, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
In trying to acquire my first Pentax LX, I came across this CL listing stating in great condition and I recall it was listed for about $350. I contacted the seller for better pics then the ad and these are what he sent reassuring me it was fully functional. Problem was It was also not local to me and would require I send cash and pay for shipping. Money was burning in my pocket for an LX but I decided not to buy it. What do you think?

Ismael would take that one on. 😃
08-14-2022, 08:15 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Ismael would take that one on. 😃
I would've taken a chance but not for what he was asking for!
08-15-2022, 02:49 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So he buried it 6' deep in the backyard for 20 years for safekeeping. A little dusting off and she should be good to go!
08-15-2022, 07:28 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
So he buried it 6' deep in the backyard for 20 years for safekeeping. A little dusting off and she should be good to go!
I was almost there what with the strap fastener and the grip already installed. If it had the proper sync port cover i could've pushed over the edge . . .
08-15-2022, 11:00 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

seems like a sticky mirror will be the least of your troubles
08-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I think I sense some sarcasm from your post, but that thing is mega crusty - and judging by corrosion on the fasteners on the motor drive, the whole camera was exposed to significant moisture at some point. Could be fungus on the pentaprism and all manner of nastiness on the inside.

FWIW back in March I paid around $500 for a "Top Mint+++" (whatever that means lol) late model LX body with FA-1 finder from Japan on eBay - which as far as I can tell was an absolutely new in box camera with all paperwork and even the "remove before use" card on the film pressure plate. So far that camera has worked perfectly, knock on wood. If I was in the market for an LX I would personally bite the bullet and buy the best looking one I could from Japan or from someone on this forum.

Last edited by gr8tdane24; 08-16-2022 at 10:43 AM.
08-16-2022, 05:05 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gr8tdane24 Quote
I think I sense some sarcasm from your post, but that thing is mega crusty - and judging by corrosion on the fasteners on the motor drive, the whole camera was exposed to significant moisture at some point. Could be fungus on the pentaprism and all manner of nastiness on the inside.

FWIW back in March I paid around $500 for a "Top Mint+++" (whatever that means lol) late model LX body with FA-1 finder from Japan on eBay - which as far as I can tell was an absolutely new in box camera with all paperwork and even the "remove before use" card on the film pressure plate. So far that camera has worked perfectly, knock on wood. If I was in the market for an LX I would personally bite the bullet and buy the best looking one I could from Japan or from someone on this forum.
Definitely the external corrosion is a good indicator that nothing good could come from it - even if the LX was the first truly weather sealed camera!

I was waiting for an LX to pop up cheap on CL but I couldn't wait any longer so I bought my first one from KEH listed as EX. Not too long after I won another off ebay for $60 - no back or prism sold as-is not working for parts only, that turned out to work perfectly and both are still 100% today more than 10 years later. In fact I can't even tell which one is which . . .

All the other accessories through more diligent hunting over the years . . .