Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-08-2022, 06:41 AM   #1

Handling a Beast 400mm f5.6 on Spotmatic F

Recent new owner of a pristine 400mm f5.6 and a beautiful Spotmatic F (came with 1:1.8/55). Really happy with the Spotmatic F, can't wait to get my first roll developed.

Saturday I went out in the morning with the 400 mounted on my dad's old tripod to try it for the first time. It was a full-sun day, and my strategy was to focus with the lens wide open, then to

stop down until I got a good reading. I couldn't! It kept on reading as overexposed. Meter seems to function properly with the 55mm. But with the 400mm seemed to be reading as overexposed

even when stopped down all the way (I could barely see the needle!) I was shooting 400 ASA Fujicolor.

Does anyone have experience with this set up? Is there something basic that I'm missing?

Thanks, Peter

08-08-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a sunny day you should be able to shoot 400film around 1/500 f/11

A few questions:
Is your lens Super-Multi-Coated? or is a Tele-Takumar?

What shutter speed were you trying?

Is the battery in the right polarity?
To test this, check indoors, and move the camera from a dark to a light zone (windows are good for this).
If the needle moves down when closer to light battery could be upside-down
08-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
It's an SMC. I tried all speeds up to 1000 - still came up as overexposed. I'll give it another go after work today... Probably user error! I think the battery's polarity is correct, because it read correctly with the 55mm lens.

I will also try it with a mount adapter on one of my K cameras.

thanks, Peter
08-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If your lenses are SMC, then you shouldn't need to stop-down (dim the viewfinder) with the SP-F
Your lens should have a mechanism like the one shown below that allows shooting fully opened (I assume the 55mm does this) but I think the 400 doesn;t

SMC-Lenses-Mechanism
1. Diaphragm pin
2. Cam that passes aperture information to camera
3. Index point for the aperture system
4. Pin to prevent moving the Auto/Man lever

08-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The photos of all the 400mm f5.6 Takumars I've seen don't even show an aperture pin -- I think they are all "manual aperture" lenses, so no open-aperture focusing or open-aperture metering.

But all of them were labeled Tele-Takumars or Super-Multicoated-Takumars, not 'SMC Takumars'

So it will meter like any Takumar in "Man" mode.
How does the F deal with that if there's no aperture cam? (I gave my F to a Honeywell museum)...

-Eric
08-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Drumroll..... The F's meter pin jumps to the roof! That's the issue. The body without a lens will do this, which is what I suppose it thinks is happening. So for all practical purposes, this lens doesn't play well with this camera. Now I've got a Spotmatic F with a 55 prime! I'll have to see about mounting this behemoth to one of my K cameras, although I'm scared to ruin the mount on either the lens or the cameras! Thanks all who replied!
08-08-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by petermorris Quote
Drumroll..... The F's meter pin jumps to the roof! That's the issue. The body without a lens will do this, which is what I suppose it thinks is happening. So for all practical purposes, this lens doesn't play well with this camera. Now I've got a Spotmatic F with a 55 prime! I'll have to see about mounting this behemoth to one of my K cameras, although I'm scared to ruin the mount on either the lens or the cameras! Thanks all who replied!
It should work fine on a K camera without any damage.
I use my 300mm Tele-Takumar with no worries, and it has no pin, either...

Really, it should work fine on the F... you'll just need to meter some other way
I use an iPhone app...

-Eric

08-08-2022, 07:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Should work fine in a K-mount camera
Get a real Pentax adapter
08-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
Follow up... Here's how my K-50 and the 400 Takumar play together (see photos)! I'll try a phone-based meter application for my film cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-19-2022, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
UPDATE in case anyone finds this thread and is led astray...
On another thread, user Tonyzoc pointed out that indeed the stop-down metering button on the Spotmatic F does work with this lens:

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
This is wrong. The stopped down lever on the left side of the body is specifically using lenses without pins in a stopped down metering mode. It's there to provide support for Super Takumar, Auto Takumar and Takumar lenses, none of which have aperture set pins. See pages 20-21 of the user manual which can be downloaded here...
https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_spotmatic_f/pentax_spotmatic_f.htm
I thought that the button acted like the MX or LX's ability to stop down the lens by pressing inwards on the self-timer lever, which is not what it does at all. Instead, all I had to do was focus wide open, then push the switch up and decrease the aperture until the meter needle centers. Snap!
08-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UPDATE in case anyone finds this thread and is led astray...
On another thread, user Tonyzoc pointed out that indeed the stop-down metering button on the Spotmatic F does work with this lens:

I thought that the button acted like the MX or LX's ability to stop down the lens by pressing inwards on the self-timer lever, which is not what it does at all. Instead, all I had to do was focus wide open, then push the switch up and decrease the aperture until the meter needle centers. Snap!
Well it does stop down the aperture, which is how spotmatics prior to the F metered. A little test of the metering you can do if you have both an SMC Takumar and Super Takumar is to meter with the SMC open aperture then switch lenses and meter the Super Tak stopped down. You should get the same reading. Sometimes they aren't exact...maybe 1/2 stop difference...and sometimes they're off by more...like 2 stops. If they aren't close its a body metering malfuntion.

Last edited by tonyzoc; 08-19-2022 at 05:02 PM.
08-19-2022, 10:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you talking about the Pentax A 400mm F5.6?
08-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The OP has the Super-Tak M42 400mm f5.6

-Eric
08-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the 400 tele-Takumar and the S-M-C Takumar don't even have an auto diaphragm. Its manual. There's no pins, just thread.

08-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

You are correct
The OP has learned that the SPF can do stop down metering by pressing the switch, problem solvd
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I think the 400 tele-Takumar and the S-M-C Takumar don't even have an auto diaphragm. Its manual. There's no pins, just thread.