Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've ZX-L (MZ-6). Except rather small viewfinder I have to say that I pretty much was satisfied with this camera when I shot film. I bought for it an FG battery grip and it both improved the handling and a group of four alcalines seemed to last virtually forever.

I recall having MZ-5n on loan from a colleague just for the heck of it. The control layout is entirely different than that of MZ-6. And a viewfinder is a tad bigger. Otherwise I couldn't find anything at all to differ these two cameras. At least not for the use I had for them.

In theory MZ-6 is the last the most compatible Pentax film body. It works properly with K and M lenses and has most modern flash automation as well.

Therefore it as usual boils down to:
1. Ergonomics
2. Intended usage

I should say that PZ-1 that I also had a chance of using felt more comfortable as a photographic tool for me - the Hyper modes are truly remarkable in their convenience. I did not get the knack of MZ-S that I also had a chance of using for a short time.

12-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the battery grip has a selector for Li and LR6 batteries

which category do Eneloops fall under?
LR6 setting is for non-rechargeable batteries. Li setting is for Li-ion rechargeables, or other rechargeable batteries. I use generic alkaline batteries and have the setting at LR6.
12-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
LR6 setting is for non-rechargeable batteries. Li setting is for Li-ion rechargeables, or other rechargeable batteries. I use generic alkaline batteries and have the setting at LR6.
thank you!

although it would be intresting to know what the internal process are for this distinction
12-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the MZ7 very nice and light, but once I put the AA battery pack... woohooo!
Firm and solid feeling

12-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Inactive Account

thank you!
although it would be intresting to know what the internal process are for this distinction
The Alkaline cell has a nominal voltage of 1.5 volts, but comes in at 1.6+ when new. The Li-Ion cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts and comes off the charger at 4.2 volts. Alkaline, NiCd, NiMh and Lithium (NOT Lithium Ion) cells are interchangeable, but if you put Li-Ion cells in a device not made for Li-Ion, the higher voltage of these cells will destroy the electronics.

woof!
12-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

so then, since Enelopps are Nimh, i should leave it at LR6, contrary to what the previous poster said?
12-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
I was just in Utah a few months ago.

Me super with a M 35mm f2
Which canyon is that?

12-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Inactive Account

It's the narrows in Zion. We hiked about 3 miles up the river from the end of the trail, so somewhere in there. Everyone that goes to Zion should do the river hike.
Ryan
12-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've only just begun to explore Zions. It's an amazing place. Did you get a chance to check out Michael Fatali's gallery? Now there's a guy who knows how to shoot film.
12-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bravo!. Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to do this. I just picked up an LX and thought I was done. Not the case. I will be reading the thread over again and see what I come up with. Bookmarked!
12-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #26
Inactive Account

so then, since Enelopps are Nimh, i should leave it at LR6, contrary to what the previous poster said?
No, after due consideration and some research further research based on the specifics of this grip, my conclusion is that you should use ONLY Alkaline (LR6) AAs or Lithium (NOT Lithium Ion) AA's. Even then, I am going to guess that the Lithiums are probably meant to be primary (read: norechargeable) Lithiums.

LR6 is the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) designation for AA sized ALKALINE batteries. I honestly believe that that is not meant to include anything other than LR6.

"Li" is the chemical name for Lithium. I do not believe this is meant to encompass other types of rechargeables either. Too specific for that. My guess is that it is not even meant to encompass rechargeable Lithium cells but rather is meant to encompass the non-rechargeable L91 batteries.

Frankly, stating anything further than this would be speculation, and you are better off at that point wither calling Pentax service or getting a manual. I personally could not find a manual to consult, but I am sure someone out there has one.

See : Pentax Power Packs and Accessories

Respectfully,

woof!
12-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I also own both a -5n and -L and can echo most of the already posted comments. A few more contributions to the discussion:

I will say that for spotmeter I find the -L's arrangement unfortunate as it is non-function in manual mode which is precisely the mode I would want to use it in.

I believe of the three, only the -L offers compatibility with the IR remotes. My understanding is that the -S does, but only if you have the grip installed.

Even though the -L's viewfinder is slightly on the small side for a film SLR I find it fairly bright & crisp, and difficult to distinguish from the viewfinders in my *ist DS2 or K10D. The -5n's viewfinder is slightly bigger, but it's no MX.

These little bodies balance & feel really great with the inexpensive Fg battery pack.

I like the modern handling of the -L where you hold a button for exposure comp or adjusting aperture in M mode. Like with D-SLRs you can do these easily while the camera is up to your eye.

My impression is that the -L feels just a little more solidly put together than the -5n. Very modern and sharp-looking. Also has back-lit top LCD. Not a very important feature but the viewfinder LCD's change color to orange when shutter speed drops to below-handholding range. Haven't used it but I believe the -L also adds a multi-exposure mode.

Agree that eyecup on -L is a little bit on the small & hard side but this is changeable.

Either one of these bodies is a whole size & weight class down from even a compact D-SLR like the *ist DS2. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.
12-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #28

AA battery pack Fg

i found the manual on pentax's site: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/AA-Battery%20Pack%20F.pdf

it makes no mention of a switch to change battery type, or even the possibility of using anything other than alkaline batteries - in fact it says not to do so!

maybe they changed it over time? i think this is likely, since it also says it can only be used with mz-5/zx-5, mz-10/zx-10, and mz-50/zx-50 cameras, but we know it works with other cameras, too.

there is an amazing number of manuals on pentax's website: Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
12-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comparison. I'm not at all handy with measurements, so the visual you posted of the MZ-S alongside a K100D helps a lot compared to simply reading spec sheets somewhere else. I'm pleasantly surprised that the MZ-S is not as big as I thought it would be.

I'm holding off on lens purchases for now (unless a really good deal comes along) in favor of buying old camera bodies (I just like to appreciate the engineering and history that goes behind each model). The MZ-S in right up there on my priorities list, alongside the MX and KM. Your review only makes me yearn for the MZ-S more.
12-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
i found the manual on pentax's site: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/AA-Battery%20Pack%20F.pdf

it makes no mention of a switch to change battery type, or even the possibility of using anything other than alkaline batteries - in fact it says not to do so!

maybe they changed it over time? i think this is likely, since it also says it can only be used with mz-5/zx-5, mz-10/zx-10, and mz-50/zx-50 cameras, but we know it works with other cameras, too.

Hi, just a point of clarification. Only the MZ-S' BG-10 grip has the switch for LR6/Li batteries. The FG grip used for the MZ-6/MZ-7/etc. does not have this switch. The FG grip also does not have the vertical shutter release.

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
there is an amazing number of manuals on pentax's website: Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

An experienced camera shop salesman once said to me that Pentax is the smallest of the camera makers but they try the hardest.