Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2022, 05:07 PM - 4 Likes   #1

New P30 in the house

Stopped by our local thrift shop yesterday and saw a lot of silver Pentax boxes. Ended up scoring a nice P30 (needed a bit of CLA), a Pentax-A 50mm f/2 lens, a Pentax-A 28-80mm f/3.5-f/4.5 lens, a Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5 lens and a Pentax-A 70-200mm f/4 lens. The camera and the three A lenses came with boxes. There were also a few filters and some random camera and lens cleaning supplies as well as the original owners manual and warranty card for the U.K. The 70-200mm lens had a receipt dated from 1996 from Jessops, issued to a person with a Bristol, U.K. address. It was purchased used for 86 pounds.

I live in the U.S. so I presume a U.K. ex-pat that lives local probably donated the lot to the thrift store. They had everything priced (fairly) individually but I picked up the lot for $50 (US). The shutter wasn't working reliably and, using info I gathered on here and a YouTube video, I figured out what needed to be cleaned/lubed to get it working reliably. I've been playing with it today with a roll of color film, so I don't have any results yet. I'm also taking it on an upcoming trip to the west coast to put it to use there.

08-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a great haul. It's always nice to see decent stuff at a thrift store. Unfortunately our local thrift stores pickens' are slim when it comes to camera gear so I end up getting most of my stuff off of eBay.
08-21-2022, 04:52 AM   #3

Great find! I had a P30t for years when I was in Colorado. Loved the camera. Only time I ever had problems was shooting ski races in the cold because the shutter was powered by the battery. Bought a K-1000 for shooting in extremely cold conditions.

Enjoy!
08-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So nice to see original gear - still with the boxes!
Nice catch.

08-21-2022, 09:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice haul made better by putting it to good use!

BTW, welcome aboard and share results and experience with the gear!
08-21-2022, 10:21 PM   #6

Congrats on a great haul! I picked up a P30t on an unquenchable whim, expecting it to be a dud, but it's really surprised me -- it's a truly magnificent camera. I hope you find your P30 every bit as enjoyable.

Aaron
08-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
I picked up a P30t on an unquenchable whim, expecting it to be a dud, but it's really surprised me -- it's a truly magnificent camera.

My experience with Pentax P3N and P30T bodies have also been excellent.
Though assembled in various countries Eric Hendrickson told me all parts
for these models were made in Japan.

IMO exposure lock and DOF preview place these head and shoulders above
several other popular Pentax models that preceded them.

Chris

11-19-2022, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was given a P30 on Thursday. The A 50mm f2 had light fungus on the front element and the battery cover was jammed but once I had cleaned the lens & soaked and freed the cover ipopped some new batteries in and presto. Its a tremendous camera. I love it. The only issue is the winder sometimes doesn't cock the shutter but I just press in the rewind button and give it another go. For a camera that is described as "plastic", its really robust, and, having a speed dial rather than buttons is so much better.
11-19-2022, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your find. That M135/3.5 is a favorite of mine.