Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2022, 06:03 AM   #1

Pentax KX mlu problem

Hello

When I try to activate the mlu in my Pentax KX the mirror doesn’t stay up, is it a common problem? Is it difficult to get it fixed?

Thanks

Last edited by pepitajack; 08-23-2022 at 06:20 AM.
08-23-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this a new problem?
The locking lever must be turned all the way before pressing the button (page 25 of the manual)

I'm guessing that probably Eric can fix that during a service, to fix that lever a full dissasembly might be needed

Manual here
08-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Is this a new problem?
The locking lever must be turned all the way before pressing the button (page 25 of the manual)

I'm guessing that probably Eric can fix that during a service, to fix that lever a full dissasembly might be needed

Manual here

yes I know I have to move the lever to the right to activate the mlu pushing the button.
The camera was gifted to me with the problem and since I live in Europe sending the camera to Eric is going to be expensive.
I’m going to ask to some local camera repair shop for a quote…maybe if the price is too high I’ll keep the camera as is. (Or I’ll search for a new one since I like the kx a lot)

Thanks
08-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you anticipate needing to use mirror lockup?

I have owned several cameras with MLU including the Pentax KX.
I have never once been in a situation requiring use of this function.

Chris

08-23-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have to remove the front panel to repair that. Someone who repairs mechanical cameras should be able to do that. The camera rescue project in Finland could do it but I'm not sure if they do repairs for people.
08-24-2022, 04:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Do you anticipate needing to use mirror lockup?

I have owned several cameras with MLU including the Pentax KX.
I have never once been in a situation requiring use of this function.

Chris

Lately I’m using more and more the tripod and mlu seems to be a nice feature to have
08-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepitajack Quote
Lately I’m using more and more the tripod and mlu seems to be a nice feature to have

You can get the benefits of a tripod with or without MLU.

Mirror lockup may be useful with extreme magnifications in macrophotography, with extremely long telephoto lenses,
or with certain lenses with rear elements that protrude deep inside the lens mount thus interfering with the mirrors movement.

Chris

08-24-2022, 08:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can find an exploded view of the camera here: https://learncamerarepair.com/productlist.php?category=2&secondary=10
You might be able to find a service manual as well
08-31-2022, 06:32 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepitajack Quote
yes I know I have to move the lever to the right to activate the mlu pushing the button.
The camera was gifted to me with the problem and since I live in Europe sending the camera to Eric is going to be expensive.
I’m going to ask to some local camera repair shop for a quote…maybe if the price is too high I’ll keep the camera as is. (Or I’ll search for a new one since I like the kx a lot)

Thanks
I have two KXs. One is new (to me) and I just got it back from Eric for a CLA. The mirror does stay in the up position when the button is pressed.

My other KX is one I've had since the 90s (it was my grandfather's before that). It has never been serviced. On this camera, te mirror does -not- stay locked up when I press the button. I seem to remember that it used to (though it's been decades since I tried it) so my guess is it's something that breaks with time or banging around.

Aaron
12-07-2022, 05:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
At the end I decided to send the KX for a cla and sold my 2 Pentax mx, I hope will come back soon