Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
MX Frame Advancing Unevenly

My MX doesn't always advance frames evenly; about one in 6 times along a couple of my recent rolls, the frame overlaps with the next one, and then there is a larger gap between the next two. I thought maybe I just loaded the first roll funny, but the problem duplicated on two rolls. Any ideas of something I could tweak or fix? I find the loading spool on the MX to be a little strange, I'm not used to the design.

09-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless you are skilled in film camera repair you will in all eventuality need to send it to a competent repairer.
09-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Unless you are skilled in film camera repair you will in all eventuality need to send it to a competent repairer.
That could well be - but I like to eliminate all of the simple things before going on to the next stage,
09-06-2022, 05:08 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
My MX doesn't always advance frames evenly; about one in 6 times along a couple of my recent rolls, the frame overlaps with the next one, and then there is a larger gap between the next two. I thought maybe I just loaded the first roll funny, but the problem duplicated on two rolls. Any ideas of something I could tweak or fix? I find the loading spool on the MX to be a little strange, I'm not used to the design.
I have seen this in my ME Super -- not sure if the film transport mechanism is the same, but I imagine something is slipping a gear somewhere (though it's strange that the spacing evens out on the next shot -- I just see frames too close to each other). Haven't noticed this in my MX but I don't shoot with it much.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "magic needles" -- I had an MG in years past that never had any problems like this. (Just shove the film leader between any two of the white pickets and you should be fine.) I imagine there are slipping gears or something like that inside the camera. I do try to wind gently when I remember to.

Aaron

09-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, there is no simple thing that causes this. It is gears inside.
09-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Sadly, there is no simple thing that causes this. It is gears inside.
Understood. As pointed out above, it seems a little weird that the frame evens back out with the next advancement. I will just keep shooting and see what happens over time. They don't currently overlap by enough to ruin any frames, I just have to crop the edges off where they are superimposed.